Author Topic: From L.A. - late fall Mimosa Purchases....  (Read 8843 times)

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
From L.A. - late fall Mimosa Purchases....
« on: November 24, 2012, 11:54:51 AM »
Hi Gang - couldn't resist a visit to East L.A. and Mimosa's semi-annual HALF OFF sale last Monday (of only 7 gal mangos from what I could see)  Normally $180, now $90.  It had been going on at least a week, so I felt I missed out on some better choices, but I got what I got.....carving out a strip of land (10" by 25') and perpendicular to the street....well....you'll see....Fang

(PS - reason I got TWO Keitts is because they taste so nice out here in our desert climate, plus.... they seem to hold fruit for like 4 months)

Valencia Pride

Malika

Keitts

Strip of land, Oleander to be removed

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: From L.A. - late fall Mimosa Purchases....
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 01:06:47 PM »
Every time I see posts with the prices and limited cultivar selection in CA, I feel bad for you guys. Then I remember your medical marijuana laws and I feel bad for us in FL.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 01:09:58 PM »
$90 sounds ridiculous......$180 for a 7 gal tree is unconscionable .

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 01:25:57 PM »
$90 sounds ridiculous......$180 for a 7 gal tree is unconscionable .
'

Those $90 7g's look like they are recently potted up 3g's as well.

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 01:28:30 PM »
I agree with you Squam.

MangoFang enjoy your new mango trees.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 02:48:12 PM »
Hi Gary,

Chic looking mangos you bought 8)

Take the utmost care when removing Oleander/Nerium...they are truly TOXIC! I removed a huge, White flowered Oleander(10ft) to make space for a peach. :) 
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Ethan

• Central California Z9/9
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 03:57:16 PM »
Wow, what a great plant swap!  You get rid of the oleander and replace it with mangoes, brilliant!

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 04:45:51 PM »
Yes, Murahlin - I know, I know - it is a high price, and yes, the Malika and VP were probably in 3 gal. pots not too
long ago...but what can we do???  The Keitts have thicker trunks, so I think there a bit older....

Jack Fruit - the Oleander were probably put in in 1952 when the house was built, and I've removed a couple already
and they are bears to get out, but where there's a will.......Toxic - yes I know....another reason to get rid of the
old girls......

This should be it as far as purchases for me for awhile...like years.....

thanks, amigos........Gary

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:54:15 PM »
Hi Gang - couldn't resist a visit to East L.A. and Mimosa's semi-annual HALF OFF sale last Monday (of only 7 gal mangos from what I could see)  Normally $180, now $90.  It had been going on at least a week, so I felt I missed out on some better choices, but I got what I got.....carving out a strip of land (10" by 25') and perpendicular to the street....well....you'll see....Fang

(PS - reason I got TWO Keitts is because they taste so nice out here in our desert climate, plus.... they seem to hold fruit for like 4 months)

Valencia Pride

Malika

Keitts

Great pick up MangoDog!! Look for LaVerne sale at Costco, 5 gallon mangos for $39. Folks from out of state are too spoil to understand and truly appreciate the trouble we go through. The high price is a natural consequence of greedy suppliers.

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 09:04:34 PM »
Nice additions, your going to be rolling in with more mangoes soon!
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 03:27:54 AM »
JF,
When does Costco have the $39 sale? And are the plants grafted?
Thanks,

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:54 AM »
Beware of the grafted LaVerne trees, I picked up a LaVerne (Nam Doc) from Home depot that turned out to be some round mango, the leaf shape also gave it away as not being NDM. I also got an El Bumpo that looks like a Chaffey or some other smooth skinned cherimoya. Ong nursery also ordered some trees that were mislabeled from LaVerne.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 03:57:50 AM »
@fangFang

There are two types of mango trees. Ones that fruit is rarely stolen from (such as a fenced back yard). The other type is close to the street and open to night time raids. Keitts hang for months here too (South Florida) leading to temptation in normally honest people. Two years ago some yard workers took some Keitts that were 30 days away from being good and ripe.

You know you are a mango degenerate when you have doubled up on a tree. My own doubles are Pim Seng Mun, Nam Doc Mai, Fairchild. Actually I have four nam doc mai in different micro-climates (ha...I like to tell myself they are unique micro-climates leading to different ripeness dates). Three of the NDM are #4 and one is the old type NDM. Believe it or not there is a mango church here where I went to see the priest for confession. I unloaded all my mango and tropical fruit tree misgivings and badness, regrets and neglect. He listened and and at the end told me ---  "Go forth my son and sin no more at least as far as your tropical fruit collection"
Since then I feel as if a burden has been lifted. It's all good. (at least for now)

So I applaud your removal of Oleander (near the street) to plant mangoes (Keitt etc) and to share your bounty with  those less fortunate. And in this  sharing vein here is an agriculture video about barley farming

John Barleycorn (Must Die)

The (undoubtedly) young 'un video makers have video of corn after harvest which has nothing to do with barley. Old English usage is corn=grain. So barley corn and barleycorn simply means barley grains. I can (and do) grind grains and make bread, are people so detached (alienated) from what a whole grain is?

« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:53:04 PM by zands »

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 05:16:24 AM »
Jack Fruit - the Oleander were probably put in in 1952 when the house was built, and I've removed a couple already
and they are bears to get out, but where there's a will.......Toxic - yes I know....another reason to get rid of the
old girls......
Hi Mangoperro,
This oleander that was removed was also planted when the house was built...i agree they ain't easy to remove. I removed the branches with the machete, one by one...then reduced the trunk till a ft in height from the ground. Then the Pickaxe is used to loosen the soil and the hoe to remove the soil...once the main roots are exposed, i hack them all with the machete, this will weak'n the foothold, then I lift the rootball with pickaxe to finish the job. Once the rootball is removed, I hack each individual root with the machete till the desired hole size. Then I mixed the same soil that was removed with compost to make the soil nice and rich for the tree :) 
I did document the removal...will look for them pics ;)
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 05:36:38 AM »
old girls......

This is a normal form of awe and respect for nature that speaks well of you. I hesitated  for years before removing certain trees and plants on my land.  I don't like to kill off greenery. But I did so and put my own greenery in. Edible landscape greenery. I have the most fruit trees in my zip code.

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2012, 07:18:03 AM »
Every time I see posts with the prices and limited cultivar selection in CA, I feel bad for you guys. Then I remember your medical marijuana laws and I feel bad for us in FL.

LOL... drugs are bad, mkeeeey...

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
J, I don't think is the greedy supplier, which in this case the supplier for most of their mango trees is PIN. It is the greedy retailer which is Mimosa. As long as long as we keep buying from these overpriced establishments, they will continue with their high prices and shady practices. We, as a group here in SoCal should get together and do more group buys from Florida. This will drive the cost way down and the quality of plants will be 100% better. I stopped buying from Mimosa a while back. Bought a few things from them. Most of the mango trees died except one. All of them were up-potted 3gal into 15gal pots with PIN tags. I have ordered directly from PIN...no issues. MangoHound, I am not knocking what you did. I am sure you will do a better job and have a better outcome than I did.

Valencia Pride

Malika

Keitts

Great pick up MangoDog!! Look for LaVerne sale at Costco, 5 gallon mangos for $39. Folks from out of state are too spoil to understand and truly appreciate the trouble we go through. The high price is a natural consequence of greedy suppliers.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2012, 09:36:57 AM »
Nice tree's mangofang!

But i don't understand the price of the tree because in what pot it is. Here i buy same size tree's in a plastic growing bag of 2 litre while a gallon is 3.8 litre.

If i see the prices like that i would like to start growin mangoseeds and graft them and sell them after a year or so.

Anyway prepare a nice soil for them with slow releasing fertilisers.  I would put all natural stuff in the hole like bonemeal, wormcastings, some cowdung, woodash, seaweed (nori seaweed if you dont have the real stuff) etc  but i m sure you also know how to do that California style.
Good luck with the new baby's.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2012, 09:46:42 AM »
The high price is a natural consequence of greedy suppliers.

No, it is a natural consequence of your state's restrictions on the importation of most fruit trees, factored in with shipping costs. As a consequence only a couple Florida nurseries are supplying a market whose demand is not being met.

Blame your state . Mango trees are cheap in the state of Florida for a reason, and its not because our nurseries are  less "greedy".

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2012, 10:02:39 AM »

No, it is a natural consequence of your state's restrictions on the importation of most fruit trees, factored in with shipping costs. As a consequence only a couple Florida nurseries are supplying a market whose demand is not being met.

Blame your state . Mango trees are cheap in the state of Florida for a reason, and its not because our nurseries are  less "greedy".

You actually have a grasp on economics and capitalism. Easy to see who you voted for and I'll leave it at that.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2012, 10:05:23 AM »
old girls......

This is a normal form of awe and respect for nature that speaks well of you. I hesitated  for years before removing certain trees and plants on my land.  I don't like to kill off greenery. But I did so and put my own greenery in. Edible landscape greenery. I have the most fruit trees in my zip code.
Howdy Zands,
I am the same and i don't like to remove plants...Only the past two-three years, i have started to remove non-edible with edible. I only remove plants that are in prime spots...the rest i let them be :)
Time is like a river.

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:22 PM »
Zands - what I didn't mention was there is going to be a 5 foot shared property blockwall on the
east side of that strip of land.  And what I'd thought I'd do when the mangos come into season
was to unroll and attach a 5 ft. temporary wire fence, around the front and east sides of that
strip of property...don't know....will do something to deter if a problem appears....

And - will plant the Mallika (think GREEN mangos) closest to the street

PLUS - most people out here wouldn't recognize a mango growing on a tree believe it or not-
this is not Florida where they are commonly seen - so I have that going for me (although the
Mexican gardeners probably wouldn't mistake it!)

Anyway....we'll see how it goes......

JFruitW - thanks for the chop and dig advice!

My Bangkok friend - they are what they are and unless we do what 007 suggests - do a large
group order and bring the cost down - we are stuck with Mimosa, and yes Costco and Lowe's/Home
Depot and get those those horribly high LaVerne grafts - I'm not so impressed with those either
to ship from Florida

And I think I agree with Squam - not sure what our state can do to ease restrictions a bit to allow
cheaper importation, but they have their multi-billion dollar agriculture business to protect, and thus
the $49 (is that it?) phyto-certification requirement.....

Ah, if I had to do it again....... :-\

MangoDiente

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2012, 03:37:13 PM »

You actually have a grasp on economics and capitalism. Easy to see who you voted for and I'll leave it at that.

007 -  suppliers=nurseryman. I didn't want to offend any of the ones that participate in our forum which, btw, have are very reasonable prices ....and I agree with you, we should boycott Mimosa and any other nurseries that engages in price gouging.

Zands, wrong!! according to laissez faire principle higher prices should encourage more suppliers in this case but as MangoSage pointed out the state of California has a greater incentive to protect our "multi-billion dollar agriculture business" rather than accommodate a bunch greedy out of state nurseries whose only incentive is to engage in profit maximization....I think you better stick to plants and leave politics alone.

NewGen

Costco had two events with LaVerne this year....I think Cuban007 could answer this question better.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2012, 03:49:13 PM »
JFruitW - thanks for the chop and dig advice!
MangoDiente
Mango.G.Perro,
You're welcome ;D

Found them pics :)

Time is like a river.

zands

• mango_zango
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »

Zands, wrong!! according to laissez faire principle higher prices should encourage more suppliers in this case but as MangoSage pointed out the state of California has a greater incentive to protect our "multi-billion dollar agriculture business" rather than accommodate a bunch greedy out of state nurseries whose only incentive is to engage in profit maximization....I think you better stick to plants and leave politics alone.

If you think California is unfairly restrictive to Pine Island Nursery sending 10 mango trees to a California buyer then this $49 phyto-sanitary permit (per tree?) amounts to a de facto tariff. The US Constitution eliminates all tariffs and imposts between the states in order to foster free trade and a  "more perfect Union". You can make a case that California is violating this. Free trade is a pillar of the capitalism of today. As capitalism is taught in out universities today. But in the year 1900 a student was taught that tariffs did indeed have a place in capitalism. The first Federal income tax was in 1913. Prior to this the major sources of income to the Federal Treasury were tariffs on foreign goods plus taxes on alcohol and tobacco. The ATF (U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms) collected these alcohol and tobacco taxes (still does so) and is an agency within the Treasury Department same as the IRS. Due to this limited income the Federal Gov't was small, not nearly as intrusive and regulatory as today
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tariffs_in_United_States_history
Prior to the adoption of the US Constitution there were in fact some internal tariffs. I don't know any specific ones (you can go ask a history professor) but ones could have been New Hampshire placing a tariff on Virginia tobacco and a tariff on South Carolina corn likker