Author Topic: Misterious " caramel butter" mango  (Read 3772 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Misterious " caramel butter" mango
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:12:24 PM »
I recently came back from Manzanillo, 3 hours driving from my hometown, Pto Vallarta, in this place a few years ago while looking in the town fruit market, I came across this mangos  I never saw before , when I ask to the lady, she said it was call "caramel butter "mango, so I bought a couple of kilos, when I got home to taste them they were so delicious ! ( skin is light yellow with a pink blush on the shoulder,The flesh is deep yellow almost orange, firm of good consistency,Buttery texture more soft at the top and gradually becoming crispy at the base, the flavor is very sweet with orange fruit undertones,and having small sweet/acid taste very close to the seed this fruit as I was told can be eat with skin and all,because the skin is crunchy and with no flavour at all, this helps to balance cause the flesh is very sweet, about 400/600 grams)) I ate them all right there! when I came back to find out more I could talk to the husband who owns the orchard, he was reticent to give away info, at that time, but this trip after six years of driving all the way to buy some mangos for him he even took me to the orchard  he has two of them one 5 hectares and 9 hectares, he told me when he bought the land in 1971, the trees were already there,I have to mention that he sell all his fruits within local small grocery stores who are eager to get them cause clients ask for them, this year the fruits is maturing later is just starting, usually he said in early February is harvesting all the way through August -sept, cause this mango gives away two crops per year, as I could notice in the trees there was ripe mangos and another branches was just about to flower, this guy is the only one with this mango, he doesn't want to sell even a single cutting, as I ask several times,     Good luck the tree is Poly, I have a couple of trees 3 years old growing fast, hopefully can enjoy my own ones Soon!
  Have some seeds to trade I'm posting in the Buy/trade section, I'll try to post some pics once I figure how to do it from my IPad photos to the forum!
El verde es vida!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Misterious " caramel butter" mango
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 01:24:51 PM »
Hi Raul

There a tons of delicious local mangos up and down the west coast of Mexico specially inColima. I have a question regarding a local variety in Mazanillo. I've had this mango called Panama mango which was also refer to as Mazanillo mango afew years ago. By chance,do you know if these are the same varieties?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 01:53:30 PM »
Hi JF, well in Manzanillo I live for 5 years in late 80's but I go often 2/3 times a year, most of the commercial orchards there are tommy or Hayden,but as you said there's very nice home yard species, The only one I recall as Manzanillo is one I saw on the Internet as "Manzanillo  Nuñez" which I ask to this owner of the butter mango orchard, he said is the one is call "Manzano" locally but the grower baptise it as I mention before, do you remember color & shape , size? I'm going back in June/July at the peak of the season, perhaps I can investigate more, I also found this time another regional mango this time whis is sold on fruit stands by the highway, call vichy mango small apple shape with green, red & yellow color of sweet flavor, saludos!
      Btw have you been in Colima ! My ex wife is from there I love it ! Best food in Mexico there!!
El verde es vida!

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 02:42:25 PM »
Hola Raul
The mango I'm referring to is bright red with a yellow beak. Orange flesh with an intense tangy flavor. I have a neighbor that grows it he is from Guerrero. Yes Colima is beautiful,first time I was there was 32 years ago on my honeymoon. I'm a big fan of all Mexican cuisine from both side of the country.

Saludos
JF 

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 03:35:39 PM »
Hola Raul,

thank for the report. Would be nice if you coul add some pictures of the mango in mention  ::)

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
When I read the title, I thought it was one of the new mangoes from Zill's.  :D
Alexi

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 10:59:14 PM »
Ok JF, I'm going back in June, I'll find out in Manzanillo, there's some mangos that are deep red / purple perhaps is one of those I'll let you know...
El verde es vida!

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:49:40 AM »
i wouldn't mind getting a seed or two
- David Antonio Garcia

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
How could I get one of your seeds? that mango sounds awesome! my mouth is watering as I'm typing this! pm me if you still have any seeds!
Joe

Kona fruit farm

• Aloha
    • Big Island; Hawaii. Kona 1700' Elev. Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 03:20:18 AM »
Raul, 

I've been reading up on the Manzanillo mango and my local nursery sells grafted trees.  i'm pretty sure i'm gonna pick one up.  I wanted to see if you ever went back to Manzanillo again to investigate up on this variety?  any report?   (sorry i know this thread was from a couple years back) 

From the pictures and descriptions i have found the fruit is supposed to be very red/purple skinned.  I imagine it stands out from other mangoes and looks very nice... another reason i'm interested in planting it in my front yard.   

Gracias amigo!
With 3 acres of prime real estate for growing tropicals... why not create my own garden of eden?? Work in progress

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »
Raul, 

I've been reading up on the Manzanillo mango and my local nursery sells grafted trees.  i'm pretty sure i'm gonna pick one up.  I wanted to see if you ever went back to Manzanillo again to investigate up on this variety?  any report?   (sorry i know this thread was from a couple years back) 

From the pictures and descriptions i have found the fruit is supposed to be very red/purple skinned.  I imagine it stands out from other mangoes and looks very nice... another reason i'm interested in planting it in my front yard.   
Hola Kona! I have never tasted it, remember when I was a kid and visit my family in Manzanillo for holidays watching those trees with those deep striking red/purple color balls hanging on the trees, they looked amazing, I only was familiar with yellow mangos, unfortunately now all those orchards are planted with Tommy or Keitt that is what the big American companies wants to resist transportation, there's only a few trees here and there of the "Manzanillo Núñez" which is the official name you can look for the characteristics under this name....

Gracias amigo!
El verde es vida!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk