Author Topic: Asimina Incana (Woolly Pawpaw)  (Read 1741 times)

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
Asimina Incana (Woolly Pawpaw)
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:21:35 AM »
Has anyone tried the fruit of this plant? I just discovered a wild one growing here, and I'm curious if it's worth messing with.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: Asimina Incana (Woolly Pawpaw)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 04:24:40 PM »
cool!
Have pics?
I've never seen one, I don't think. Doubt they grow this far north? Never looked into it.

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 05:55:06 PM »
Unfortunately I didn't take pictures because at the time I wasn't sure if it was what I was hoping it would be. Next time I'm back at the area I'll take a picture. Funny thing is I've seen this plant before I even knew what a pawpaw was. Now that my pawpaw trees have leaves I was able to notice the similarities. I felt the leaves and they were fuzzy. Remembered reading about a woolly pawpaw and after looking up images, I do believe that's what I have here.

usirius

• Never give up!
    • Southern Germany, 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2019, 06:13:51 PM »
Great! Please let us know more if ossible! Concerning the usage of the fruits...I have found Information that the fruits are eaten by accoons, opossums, squirrels, bears, and turkeys and historically the ripe pulp of the fruits was used by the early settlers to make yellow dye.
„May your choices reflect your hopes, not your fears.“ N. Mandela

mikkel

• Lueneburg, Germany Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2019, 02:24:45 AM »
Terri Pietroburgo seems to be an expert on native Pawpaws. Couldn`t find her nursery but an article with her email adress.
http://fnpsblog.blogspot.com/2010/07/pietros-paw-paws-extremely-focused.html

another article about her

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2019, 01:24:36 PM »
Great! Please let us know more if ossible! Concerning the usage of the fruits...I have found Information that the fruits are eaten by accoons, opossums, squirrels, bears, and turkeys and historically the ripe pulp of the fruits was used by the early settlers to make yellow dye.

Unfortunately I've decided to live in Hawaii now, so I can't mess with that specific plant I saw.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 09:25:15 AM »
Plant site may help in this case and Latitude and Longitude to pin point the area. Also a picture of the plant or a descriptive sketch will aide those who are interested in indigenous plants and will thank you for that.

Gogu

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 02:26:17 PM »
If I knew there was this much interest before I left I would've drove out there immediately :-[. I have delayed my return ticket so I may return eventually, but it will most likely be over half a year before I return. I can say that the area was Patterson, GA.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 03:29:22 PM »
Thank you. Looked on Google Earth Pro. Patterson, Georgia is around 31 degrees North and 82 degrees West and at sea level.