Author Topic: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)  (Read 45519 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2015, 02:44:37 PM »
Lunch: Edgar, Seacrest. Lemon Zest

There isn't much else to say for these 3 kings that hasn't been said already.  Edgar is dense and smooth.  Seacrest hit more of the mid to high notes with floral overtones.  Lemon Zest is all about that bass, with a complexity that only a connoisseur's mind can appreciate - lots of different flavours all within the fruit.  My time is winding down now - only two days left - and yet to make the plate are

Zill, Bailey's Marvel,  Khun see, Ivory, Cushman, Gary and Pram Kai Mea.

All will be eaten before I travel.  This afternoon the cutting board and freezer go into action for much of what is left.  I'll be weighing in - literally - on Monday morning to see how many pounds I dropped this week.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2015, 07:17:58 PM »
Help is on the way! 

I have some relatives arriving in town unexpectedly so more mango donations.  My cousin was amazed last summer by Edgar so i have a few lined up to surprise her.  Still will need to freeze some and based on this June's showing across all growers I talked to, they may come in handy as what will still be in production in July remains a question. 

Based on eating quality so far I am prioritizing, in no particular order, ValCarrie, Pickering, Guava,  Dupuis Saigon, Dot, Taralay, Coconut Cream and LZ to chomp down to the seed before I fly.  Khunsee, Ivory and PKM have taken their time to ripen (which is good for me).

Dinner: Cushman

This mango stood out for its shape - a round mound of a mango.  Clean as a whistle on the outside, thick skin making it easy to peel revealing yellow cotton candy on the side.   A big mango with moderate aroma.  I did not note much juice flying all over the place with this one.  Great size made this a meal unto itself.  This is a pineapply mango, light and sweet with succulent flesh.  Unique enough that I will plant one out even as a mono just to see what comes of it.  Cushman is the real deal.

I am going to cut up some mangoes to freeze and then get back to uploading pictures....

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2015, 07:32:03 PM »
Help is on the way! 

I have some relatives arriving in town unexpectedly so more mango donations.  My cousin was amazed last summer by Edgar so i have a few lined up to surprise her.  Still will need to freeze some and based on this June's showing across all growers I talked to, they may come in handy as what will still be in production in July remains a question. 

Based on eating quality so far I am prioritizing, in no particular order, ValCarrie, Pickering, Guava,  Dupuis Saigon, Dot, Taralay, Coconut Cream and LZ to chomp down to the seed before I fly.  Khunsee, Ivory and PKM have taken their time to ripen (which is good for me).

Dinner: Cushman

This mango stood out for its shape - a round mound of a mango.  Clean as a whistle on the outside, thick skin making it easy to peel revealing yellow cotton candy on the side.   A big mango with moderate aroma.  I did not note much juice flying all over the place with this one.  Great size made this a meal unto itself.  This is a pineapply mango, light and sweet with succulent flesh.  Unique enough that I will plant one out even as a mono just to see what comes of it.  Cushman is the real deal.

I am going to cut up some mangoes to freeze and then get back to uploading pictures....

Boy, you can put down some mangos!
I'm done, last field trip, I don't want to see
a mango until May 2016

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2015, 08:15:06 PM »
I don't play JF. By August your appetite will be back, I guarantee it,  😁

I prepping mangoes for freezing I got to note things that were easier to contrast due to prepping them all at once.  I prepped a number of NDM, PSM, Keow Savoey, Angie, and Fairchild.  Pim Seng Mun's scent sang out well above the rest the bunch although that one was probably over ripe.  I chomped on the seeds after and by far Fairchild tasted the richest and the best. NDM was pretty good too. Angie tasted bland by comparison. Rapid fire prepping and eating has its benefits...

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2015, 03:10:16 AM »
just fyi....

tonight at the tasting, a wise man advised to freeze mangoes in 2 pieces with the skin on---supposed to help the eating quality when thawedout--not as mushy
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2015, 06:20:39 AM »
just fyi....

tonight at the tasting, a wise man advised to freeze mangoes in 2 pieces with the skin on---supposed to help the eating quality when thawedout--not as mushy

did you ask before you quoted...and i thought he was referring to freezing the mango whole...
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2015, 10:19:57 AM »
I'll dabble at both.

Breakfast: Khunsee, Guava, Seacrest

Khun See is a great mango due to such a wide range of eating stages and experiences.  This one was mid range ripe - still semi crunchy yet sweet orange flesh.  A great experience, fairly unique among any other mangoes I've eaten except Keow Savoey with Khun See being several steps ahead.

The last of the Guava mangoes was savoured today and boy was it good.  It is very hard to fault this mango.  According to Walter Zill a contact of his advised him about the original tree which was about to be destroyed as part of planned roadworks.  He propagated it and so it survives on to this day.  Some customers from the islands remarked how it tasted like guava and the name stuck.  Parentage unknown but the mango offers a fantastic eating experience.

The last of the Seacrest graced the table this morning.  I am cautious about overhyping this mango but I really haven't eaten a better one during this trip.  Fruity, sweet, smooth, silky, aromatic with floral tones.  Immaculate.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2015, 10:22:59 AM »
just fyi....

did you ask before you quoted...and i thought he was referring to freezing the mango whole...

that's why i didn't quote him directly....lots of wise ppl there that night.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 13, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
just fyi....

You can freeze them whole. When eating take out your frozen mango. Put in a pot of water for 60 seconds. You can now peel the skin off and let the whole mango defrost

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 13, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
I froze a whole bunch this morning.  Thanks for the tips.  Will see what they look like in July and if good, will save some for the dead of winter.

Lunch: Pram Kai Mea, Fruit Punch, Lemon Zest, Coconut Cream

I had help for lunch today so was able to sample a wider variety in one sitting.

The Coconut Cream was off the chain.  Perfectly ripe and zinging with flavour. Sweet, juicy and aromatic. It would be difficult to rate this one higher.

Fruit Punch was much better than the first and closer to what i reclal from last year.  A great mango given the size especially.  Unique

LZ is the g.o.a.t.

Pram Kai Mea: I bought 4 fruit and this was the first that seemed close to ripe.  They stay green mostly it seems although it started to yellow at one end.  These are sweet mangoes, last year they were the sweetest I had of them all.  They have a bit of a twang taste wise but I quite enjoy it.  These are not fully there but you can see the potential.  Really thin seed.  It is like you are slicing down the middle of the fruit and hitting nothing....

We are on the home stretch for this trip....

Bailley's Marvel, Ivory, Zill still to come.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2015, 08:17:06 AM »
Today is the final day of fruit feast number two.  Fear not fruit fans the fabulous festivities and fun are not final.  They flow again on July 8.

Breakfast: ValCarrie, Coconut Cream

How good is Val Carrie?  I had two left and among 18 other mangoes I needed to decide what gets eaten today, shared, frozen.  I decided to freeze one of the Vak Carries and eat the other.  By the time I finished, I couldn't bring myself to allow a VC to be frozen. It is getting eaten today.

Coconut cream - this was absolutely delectable.  Bsbullie supplied some pristine specimens - they almost look photoshopped they look so good.  And what a juice factory.  In the end juice was all over the plate, the placemat, my hands, wrists....but most inside me.  What a great mango - sweet yet refreshing, aromatic and smooth, subtle yet attention grabbing.  Say what you will, a ripe cc is hard to beat.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
I arrived at home today.  If anyone saw a guy in Orlando or Miami airport slurping mangoes and chewing all the way to their seeds...

The only mangoes that I did not get to sample  the illustrious Gary (not ready). 

I did get to a huge Bailey's Marvel. Taste was fairly muted next to Val Carrie and Coconut Cream but on its own it is probably an ok mango,  Ivory was also eaten and definitely not at its best.  Mediocre. Zill was good but did not stand out amongst their recent Zill treasures. Such it life.

I'll get back to do a recap tomorrow.

Regards to all.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 08, 2015, 10:37:46 AM »
Hope you get a chance to try Gary...one of my Faves!
~Jeff

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 08, 2015, 01:22:19 PM »
Hi Future, I truly enjoy the mango write ups.  It is always nice to hear other people's opinions on which mangos are the best.  Please keep up the good work.

Bill

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »
Arrived in Boynton Beach.

It's on.  Stay tuned!

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2015, 04:35:54 PM »
Glad I stopped near there yesterday. Bagged honey kiss, edgar, taralay, sweet tart, and an orange sherbet.
Three trees followed me home. :) Honey Kiss, Venus, and Fruit Punch.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 06:46:00 PM »
Where do I begin!

We arrived yesterday and quickly went to work connecting with Florida's premier outlets for world class mangoes.  To say this year we have the best selection ever would be an understatement. 

Zills High Performance Plants, Zills fruit stand, Truly Tropical and Excalibur all came with their best.  I know I promised pictures from part II of this year's feast, and I will post them.  I took a picture of all the mangoes bought since yesterday and....I had to back up to get them all in one shot.

Amy
Henry
Crystal
Honey Kiss
Providence
Orange Sherbert
Pickering
Sweet Tart
Gary
Valcarrie
Coconut cream
Fruit punch
Taralay
Peach cobbler
Piņa Colada
Edgar
Duncan
PPK
Lemon zest
Fruit Punch
Gary
Taralay
Valcarrie
Maha Chanok
Sun
Peach cobbler
Neelam
Crystal
Venus
Fairchild
Dot
Graham
Glenn
Pram Kai Mea
Ice cream
Southern blush
Duncan
Mulgoba
Nam doc Mai
Elephant tusk
Cogshall
Baptiste
Choc anon
34-12
O-15
Karen Michelle
Autumn
Harvest Moon
Son Pari
Bombay
Venus
K-3
Marlys
Ugly Betty
Juicy Peach

If I missed any, I will sure update.  We haven't hit the mango festival yet but there are very few left to buy.  Maybe a mammou, Ivory, ZINC would complete my dream comes true list.

My daughter is already planning to bake a mango cake while we are here....

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 06:48:53 PM »
Where do I begin!

We arrived yesterday and quickly went to work connecting with Florida's premier outlets for world class mangoes.  To say this year we have the best selection ever would be an understatement. 

Zills High Performance Plants, Zills fruit stand, Truly Tropical and Excalibur all came with their best.  I know I promised pictures from part II of this year's feast, and I will post them.  I took a picture of all the mangoes bought since yesterday and....I had to back up to get them all in one shot.

Amy
Henry
Crystal
Honey Kiss
Providence
Orange Sherbert
Pickering
Sweet Tart
Gary
Valcarrie
Coconut cream
Fruit punch
Taralay
Peach cobbler
Piņa Colada
Edgar
Duncan
PPK
Lemon zest
Fruit Punch
Gary
Taralay
Valcarrie
Maha Chanok
Sun
Peach cobbler
Neelam
Crystal
Venus
Fairchild
Dot
Graham
Glenn
Pram Kai Mea
Ice cream
Southern blush
Duncan
Mulgoba
Nam doc Mai
Elephant tusk
Cogshall
Baptiste
Choc anon
34-12
O-15
Karen Michelle
Autumn
Harvest Moon
Son Pari
Bombay
Venus
K-3
Marlys
Ugly Betty
Juicy Peach

If I missed any, I will sure update.  We haven't hit the mango festival yet but there are very few left to buy.  Maybe a mammou, Ivory, ZINC would complete my dream comes true list.

My daughter is already planning to bake a mango cake while we are here....
DAMN!!!!  that list is impressive. please post reviews as usual, when you have the time, of course
~Jeff

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
Breakfast

What a way to start the day. We got up early and went for a swim.  A protein shake and mango thereafter, breakfast by the pool. 

Peach Cobbler: my first experience with this mango and it was a great one.  The name fits the mango to a t.  It was like legitimately eating dessert for breakfast.  If the world was introduced to this mango before peaches, peaches would be called mangoey, not the other way around.  Smooth, very rich, very sweet.  This fruit was likely slightly overripe - I have a good number of fruits that need to be eaten in the next day to avoid being wasted - but was not at all diminished.  Great start to the trip, day.

Choc Anon: I bought this overripe and it tasted it.  My daughter said it smelled savory rather than sweet.  At their best these are decent mangoes.  This was not its best.

Dot: also slightly overripe, this was the smallest Dot I've ever eaten.  It was mediocre by her usual standard as an all around crowd pleasing mango.  From neophyte to connoisseur, Dot is a pleaser to the palate.

Peach Cobbler easily won breakfast.  I suspect it will feature in my daughter's top 10 mangoes.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2015, 07:23:58 PM »
Dinner: Amy, Southern Blush, Lemon Zest

Working our way through the soft or quickly softening, Southern Blush was first to the knife for dinner.  This was my first experience with this fruit.  A big mango and a juice factory, it had a mild aroma and a mild taste, not in a watered down way but in a subtle way.  For its size, this is an ok mango.  Easy to eat and could feed a family of 4. Nothing to offend but not among the top tier of mangoes.

Amy: This was also my first experience with Amy.  Another very big mango with an interesting history.  If you have been to Zills fruits stand, you have seen the original tree.  Apparently she bore ultra early in life and did so with huge offspring.  A Jakarta cross I am told.  The first thing that hit me was the resinous taste.  Then I noticed the peachy taste. Not overwhelming on sweetness, it was sort of like a. Lend of Bombay and Peach Cobbler.  A second sampling and it started to grow on me.  Not a first impression mango for me but one I will continue to watch and taste.  Good to meet Amy.

Lemon Zest: this was another easy winner.  Candy with a mango seed wrapped inside.  This was going soft on one side but the other was fine.  Even the soft side tasted ok.  The consensus of this winning dinner was a slam dunk.  It was gone past its prime evidenced by the fizzy pop effect.  My daughter loved it.  A mango soda you can eat?  Good deal.  LZ remains as the G.O.A.T.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2015, 07:59:05 PM »
You did not see the original Amy tree.  The original tree resides with the land where Gary's breeding program took place.  The secod tree is on property that used to be owned by Walter Zill.   The tree you observed,  by the tent at Walter's,  was top worked to Amy 2 years ago.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2015, 08:23:37 PM »
You did not see the original Amy tree.  The original tree resides with the land where Gary's breeding program took place.  The secod tree is on property that used to be owned by Walter Zill.   The tree you observed,  by the tent at Walter's,  was top worked to Amy 2 years ago.

Ah. Got it. Ok.  That tree, now relegated to rootstock he said bore in a year or two from seed, which is phenomenal. Alas the fruit quality which initially seemed promising...declined.  Got. My story twisted so. Thanks for the correction.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2015, 02:44:25 AM »
Geeeeez Future! That is quite a list. It's like you hit the mango poweball triple lottery.  8) Look forward to all the reviews and photos.
Oscar

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2015, 02:57:19 AM »
Wow, that is quite a list. No one seams to be impressed with Southern Blush except BSbullie. All the reviews I read on it are just Mmmhhheee.

Bill

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2015, 06:58:57 AM »
Wow, that is quite a list. No one seams to be impressed with Southern Blush except BSbullie. All the reviews I read on it are just Mmmhhheee.

Bill

You seem to make a blanket statement that i think is hard to back up..."no one"?  When mangoes are consumed overripe,  their quality becomes diminished.  I also think these tastes should be done blind, you would find very different results on taste and quality.  Just saying...
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk