I’m
« on: February 09, 2019, 09:30:17 AM »
Off
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 07:55:25 AM by weiss613 »

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
I have a 1/5 acre lot, house no pool and a canal in the back.
I managed to squeeze 60 trees in. (Only 17 mangos with 10-15ft spacing)

I think 250 would be hard with mangos.

Look into ultra high density planting and check the recommended spacing.
Also you can look into multiple trees in one hole.

Managing the differing vigor between all the cultivars would be very difficult and that's on top of the regular trimming.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
You need to define the size of the planting area and then pick your spacing and then figure out how many trees will fit.

Lets say your lot is 200ft x 100ft, thats a little less than half acre.  You could do 10x10 spacing and fit 10 trees in 20 rows.  200 trees crammed in there. 

Or 15 x 15 spacing would be around 7 trees per row times 14 rows.  Around 100 trees. 
Brad Spaugh

weiss613

• Miami
    • View Profile
Maybe it would be better if I just saved the money and use it for psychiatric help!!??

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
HAHA!

80 or so trees would be doable, depending on the lot. 250 would look cute for the first couple of years, then turn into a nightmare (isn't that like 5 or 6 foot spacing??).
Jeff  :-)

spaugh

• View Profile
Maybe it would be better if I just saved the money and use it for psychiatric help!!??

Maybe start with 10 trees and see how it goes.  Putting in 100+ trees takes a lot of effort.
Brad Spaugh

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
Planting 100+ trees is a tiny fraction of the effort that it takes to maintain them :-). Pruning, fertilization, pest control, weed control, etc for the next few decades is a monster time suck as the trees mature -- for us Floridians at least.

Maybe start with 10 trees and see how it goes.  Putting in 100+ trees takes a lot of effort.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
Planting 100+ trees is a tiny fraction of the effort that it takes to maintain them :-). Pruning, fertilization, pest control, weed control, etc for the next few decades is a monster time suck as the trees mature -- for us Floridians at least.

Not to mention at 5ft spacing I don't think you'll have any space to walk

spaugh

• View Profile

Yep, big commitment.  We are lucky here theres less fungal and bug pressure.  My biggest chore is keeping the weeds and grass under control.

At least you guys in FL have flat land to work with.  If it were me, I would be laying it out so that I could fit a quad or some type of utility vehicle in the tree rows for moving mulch and harvesting fruit etc. 
Brad Spaugh

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
As long as you save some money to set up a Paclobutrazol injector system into your irrigation.
-Josh

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
It also matters what varieties of mango you are planning on growing. Some cultivars are vigorous growers, and would demand more attention and trimming. Others, with compact growth habits, would be easier to keep at optimal size, whatever that turns out to be for you. You could place smaller varieties to where they face the sun, and the fast growers behind them, so as to not block out sunlight.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
As long as you save some money to set up a Paclobutrazol injector system into your irrigation.

It’s also illegal to use on mangos in the US.

250 is far too many for a half acre in Florida.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 02:51:40 PM by Squam256 »

mike rule

• karrabin qld australia
    • View Profile
In OZ the Queensland Govt. have been doing work on a Small Tree High Productivity Initiative..... On 3 blocks with the same 3 mango varieties they have planed high density 1250 trees per hectare 416 treesper hectare medium & small at 416 trees per hectare..... Project commenced in 2013....After 4 years the fruit picked yields were High 16 tons Medium 8.6 tons & small 4.7 tons......They also have been doing a project with espalier on trellis with an high density best yield of 46.9 tons per hectare after 5 years...... Still a way to go but looks like high density maybe the way of the future........ Mike

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
There's a benefit in plant diversity.

Consider some windbreak specimens or other plants you'll enjoy.
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
I think it's doable. In India they have ultra high denisty plantings. You can see videos on youtube. It's doable if you use all very dwarf mango trees. Combine that with using an Australian style tatura espalier system. Tatura espalier will make it all hurricane proof. Very good in Florida! Take some classes in art of Japanese bonsai. Have large cheap work force like in India. And yes, consult your local mental health professional.  ;D
I thought my aims were really crazy, but you just made me fee relativelyl a lot more sane! Seriously though, what you have to ask yourself is what is my final goal? Why do i really want to squeeze in so many plants into such a small area? Do you want to have a commercial production, or is it just an ego thing?
Jeff brought up something very valuable to consider. Planting trees it is true, it's very uplifting. But that is the easiest part. The real work comes in maintaining all thosr trees. The planting part is maybe 1/100 of the work. Or maybe it's more like 1/1000  of the work involved? If you're really ready for that then go for it.
Oscar

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Probably doable but difficult you will have to have someone full time managing yr orchard. Here is my attempt at of 29 trees in an 50 x 40 w 3 meters spacing. After four years massive crops on most trees. I would scale back to 250 mango trees per acre and that’s ultra high density.....mangos grow vigorously in California (15- 25’ in 5-7 years) you just have to graft in our rootstock

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 05:41:14 PM by JF »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
I think it's doable. In India they have ultra high denisty plantings. You can see videos on youtube.
I have to wonder about those, I have watched them. From what I've seen, they do show a very high density, they do use Paclobutrazol, and for sure they will get great production the first years. What I don't see are how these orchards work out 5 or ten years down the road. Many of the videos are by nursery folks who sell trees. I know trees are probably cheap in India, and I know that nurseries are in business to sell trees so they have a vested interest in the idea. I honestly expect that at some point about 1/2 the trees will have to be removed. If their trees are cheap enough and especially if they can be transplanted to a beneficial use it might be a way to get a quick initial return and move on.
So far as planting 250 trees on 1/2 acre the best question asked so far seems to be why? What is the goal?

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
What I don't see are how these orchards work out 5 or ten years down the road.

A lot of them don’t.

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
I say do it if you got the $$$$$!  You an also chop some of them down later if they get too crowded.  Or you can keep pruning it to keep it under a certain height.

For me I'm planting a whole bunch of cherimoya from seeds. so, no cost for me.  Some are in 2-3 trees together. 
I have a 1,000sq ft house with a small swim pool on 8300sqft lot.

And I got:
-10+ cherimoya trees producing, 20+ will be producing this year or next. And plan to add another 50 seedlings cherimoya. 
-30 mango graft trees, 1 only in ground, rest are in pots.
-20+ banana in ground
-several soursop in pots
-several rolina in pots
-10+ citrus in pots
-10+ guava trees
-couple dragonfruit patches
-1 giant lemon tree in ground
-the swim pool is for growing taro, got about 7 pots (10gal) , planning to add maybe another 20+ pots.
few other misc fruit trees
-1 giant palm tree and japnese maple- to me it is useless since it doesn't produce edible fruits
- planning to add some more...

I took advantage of the front yard as well.  Along the drive way are pot veggie like Luffa and gourd.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 12:47:05 PM by knlim000 »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
If it’s about collecting cultivars I would consider multigrafting.

My house block is just over half an acre and I have plans for about 50 trees at 15x17ft spacing though some of those are planted tighter (citrus, atemoya etc). There is actually a lot of unused space but I also do veggies, nursery, workshop, chickens etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 03:34:25 AM by Ulfr »

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
If it’s about collecting cultivars I would consider multigrafting.

What he said.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
No one has asked what seems to me the obvious question: Why?
John

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
My phone tells me 21,780 sqft in 0.5 acres.
8 ft spacing would work

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
No one has asked what seems to me the obvious question: Why?
Yes did ask exactly that question already:
Seriously though, what you have to ask yourself is what is my final goal? Why do i really want to squeeze in so many plants into such a small area? Do you want to have a commercial production, or is it just an ego thing?
Oscar

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
But there is also a house, pool, driveway on that lot.

I'm in a similar situation, about 6/10 of an but with a smallish house, a tiny driveway, and no pool. I am just barely able to cram in somewhere around 80 to 90 trees, pruning each tree at least once every 2 years. And trust me, pruning that many trees is a LOT of work -- even with a semi-commerclal wood chipper.

If you're OK kissing most of your summer* weekends goodbye once the trees get mature, then you can pull off probably 70 trees over the long term?

(*summer in South Florida is the season alternates with "not-summer" and lasts 6 - 7 months)

My phone tells me 21,780 sqft in 0.5 acres.
8 ft spacing would work