Author Topic: Looking for key lime seeds  (Read 6921 times)

Drvanger

• Hungary, zone 7b
    • View Profile
Looking for key lime seeds
« on: May 11, 2014, 03:06:21 AM »
Hi,
I'd like to grow key limes from seed, but I had no luck finding key lime or seeds in Hungary. I've thought about buying seeds in eBay, but I don't know if I can trust the sellers there (I'm afraid of getting other type of seeds or dried, unviable seeds), and I've read somewhere that it's not advisable to buy seeds from Asia because of the citrus greening disease. I'm also interested in limequat seeds if someone has them.
Is there any  trustworthy place where I can buy the mentioned seeds? If someone could send me seeds, I would pay happily of course.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 12:47:36 PM by Drvanger »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for key lime seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 02:04:19 PM »
Can you buy key lime fruit there?  It is common in grocery stores in the US. 

Also, I think the greening disease is spread by insects and would not be a risk from imported seed. 

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:35:42 PM »
I believe the only diseases that can be transmitted by seed are psoriasis, citrus leaf blotch virus, and variegated chlorosis.  As Brian asked, have you looked in the food stores.  Key Limes are extremely common in the supermarkets.  Key limes are among the fastest to produce fruit from a planted seed.  When yo plant a Key Lime seed you can expect fruit in the second year. - Millet

Drvanger

• Hungary, zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »
Yes, I've looked in several supermakets, but I've only found seedless limes (I believe persian limes) in every store I've been.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 11:04:49 PM »
I'll look in our supermarket for some Key Limes.  I'll post tomorrow and let you know if the supermarket has any, I don't think it should be a problem.  If so I'll buy some and send you the seeds.  If every thing turns out, you can send me you address tomorrow. - Millet

Drvanger

• Hungary, zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 03:58:32 PM »
Thank you, Millet, I'd really appreciate it.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 05:53:05 PM »
Davenger I decided to wait until Monday.  If I send them today, they will just set in the Post Office over the week end.  Send me your address on my personal E-mail.   Millet@netecin.net - Regards, Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 09:28:37 PM »
Are there import restrictions on shipping seeds to Europe?  I ask because I noticed the U.S.D.A. had a document about importing seeds and mentioned citrus greening and citrus variegated chlorosis as being carried within seeds.  It made me wonder about other country's rules.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=7&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CF8QFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.aphis.usda.gov%2Fplant_health%2Fpermits%2Fdownloads%2Fseedweb.pdf&ei=2rd2U-TWDNaiqAbkz4LwDA&usg=AFQjCNE8v_MDGQONjnePIFWCeHYKqbawUA&bvm=bv.66917471,d.b2k

If this is considered an of-topic or inappropriate question, moderators please feel free to delete.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 11:49:20 AM by sugar land dave »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 11:59:18 AM »
I  have found no restriction for shipping citrus seed to the country of Hungary.  Not surprising since Hungary is not a citrus producing country. - Millet

sugar land dave

• sugar land, tx Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 12:09:30 PM »
Good to know.  With all the regulations in life, it is easy to miss one, which is but one of the reasons why I come to this forum.  With well-read people like you around, it makes it easier.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2014, 04:19:29 PM »
Drvanger, Your Key Lime seeds sent today via U.S. Mail. The best of luck for your new tree.- Millet

Drvanger

• Hungary, zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2014, 02:53:00 PM »
Thank you very much, Millet!

Drvanger

• Hungary, zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2014, 03:14:57 AM »
I've planted the seeds 13 days ago, and 4 of them are already sprouting. Interestingly (at least for me... :) ) they all came up with the seeds:

Is this normal for key limes? All of my other citrus seedlings came up without the seeds.
When they're big enough, I'm planning to separate them, then transplant them into CHC/Coir medium.

Also, so far all seeds seems to be polyembryonic, as expected from key limes. What I don't know if both of the seedlings coming from the same seed are clones of the mother plant, or one is zygotic and only the other is clone.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:37:33 AM by Drvanger »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2014, 03:29:36 PM »
I would not say it is common, but it does happen to all citrus varieties from time to time, and not just with Key limes. After a few days if the cotyledons do not discard the seed cover carefully remove it.  Just be careful not to damage the seedling. - Millet

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk