Author Topic: watch this video! gac fruit  (Read 1630 times)

Petros45

• Greece, Crete, Heraklion, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
watch this video! gac fruit
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:09:04 PM »
watch the video and someone who know about this, explain me why he pollinate the dry gac fruit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AFbXpvhtss

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
Re: watch this video! gac fruit
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:47:35 PM »
Maybe he had no female flowers in perfect condition for pollination or he removed the flower petals before touching the stigma. He may have done this so you could see better. The female flowers even before pollination have an ovary which looks like a miniature Gac fruit much the same way a cucumber can be seen under the female flower.

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 08:12:04 PM »
that means it can still pollinated even when turns orange and dry? or even if the pollination will no succes when is green still can try pollinate again when is dry? it is unexplainable, i will try it in the next month when will have flowers, in case that the normal pollination will fail, i will try also doing in same flower pollination for 2-3 days in a row, if i try all methods i will have more chances to succes i believe
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:20:52 PM by Petros45 »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 08:26:21 PM »
Nice looking fruit wha5 does it taste like ?

Ed
Zone 10

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2019, 06:56:26 AM »
i have read it had unigue some saying something like cucumber or no taste at all, general they cant describe it, bur has 10x more beta caroten than carots 40x more vitamin c than orange, 70x more lycopene than tomato, also new research of 2016 found it had 200x more lycopene than tomatoes and 54x beta caroten than carots, its interesting fruit

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 07:55:51 AM »
Nice looking fruit wha5 does it taste like ?

Ed
Not any strong flavor, maybe a little buttery without being oily. This is in the cucurbitacea family genus Momordica and while not bitter at all you could maybe compare it to the red seed covers of a ripe bitter melon momordica charantia when the bottom opens and seeds fall out.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 10:10:58 AM »
It is green when unripe and is used as a vegetable. After washing and drying cut longitudinally about 1/2 cm slices sprinkle some salt as needed and keep aside. Drain the liquid. Deep fry in high heat vegetable oil and bring it down to medium heat till cooked. When done put it on paper towel for access oil to be absorbed. Or without putting salt you can fry them and later sprinkle salt and pepper as needed.

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 10:49:34 AM »
Of course it is somewhat unhealthy to eat it like that, vitamins will also be lost, the best way I believe is to ripen, to use in rice and other recipes that will keep more of its vitamins, and other different ways like fruit juices for example

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 10:57:17 AM »
and in sweets recipes if there is plenty gac, if u think about it logically, the most important is to eat for its vitamins,and is one of the main reasons it really deserves, so in rice,juice or and such things which no adding things which make it lose its vitamins
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 10:59:04 AM by Petros45 »

All the fruit

• Germany
    • View Profile
    • Youtube: all the fruit
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 12:27:22 PM »
I ate it fresh. Not much taste, really. But the fruit is beautiful, you can use the flesh to colour smoothies and since it seems to be very healthy why not eat it fresh?

Petros45

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 12:30:15 PM »
of course eat it fresh is the best way, i heard after picking it ripe they dont eat it fresh but leave it for week maybe i dont remember exactly and they say it give it more taste, but still fresh its more natural and have more vitamins probably

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 01:22:57 PM »
if you guys watched to the end of the video he tastes the ripe seeds puts them in a glass, adds water, stirs it well then drinks the washed pulp water.

Seeing as how Gac is poor as a vegetable, and is a weird slimy paste of fruit, drinking it as a 'supplement' like this for the health benefits is best.

-- Also I have no idea why he is pollinating the flower after it has dropped.. I guess it is still open to pollination at that time?  I have never had issues with Gac pollination when I sexed and spaced my vines diligently before.  1 male to 3 or so if in the same area.  But in case of very few male flowers, low/poor pollination can lead to deformed fruits.