Author Topic: Accidental Mango Hybridization (?)  (Read 1561 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Accidental Mango Hybridization (?)
« on: March 13, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
So I live in a townhouse that is detached on one side (luckily), I have quite a few things planted in ground on the open side, but as space is limited and my addiction for this hobby strong, I have a bunch of potted stuff on the back patio. Living a townhome there's no perfect spot for full sun but I've be surprised at how productive my fruit trees have been over the last 5 years in this house.

Anyway, so on the back patio I currently have potted:
- A Glen with limited fruit set from first bloom, and blooming heavily now.
- A Julie with moderate blooming now
- A Graham with lots of fruit set from the first bloom and some limited additional bloom now.

(plus an ever productive and ever flowering dwarf june plum, a bushy but dormant Mallika, longan and some random citrus seedlings).

So my question is, with these mango varieties flowering in such close proximity, and actually with panicles of each variety directly touching and rubbing each other in some instances, what's the chance of fruit hybridizing from the different varieties?  (I also have a superstar in ground Pickering with heavy fruit set from first bloom and a heavy second bloom now, and an in ground Imam Passand that is blooming now, both around the corner on the open side 20 ft. away)..

I noticed that the same bees, wasps and other pollinators may stop at each tree in one back patio trip, and again I have panicles from different varieties directly touching each other - not sure if that's a good idea or not, but these pots are pretty heavy to move around so they stay.

I plan on planting some seeds after harvest...and just wondering about if this super close proximity increases the chance of seeds leading to hybrids (regarldess of if they end up desireable or not)..or do I have this hybridization thing completely wrong?

Here's a pic of the patio so you can get an idea of just how close in proximity these guys are:

always longing for a JA Julie

davidgarcia899

• Marabu Groves - Redland, Florida
  • Marabu Groves
    • USA, Miami-Dade, 33187, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Accidental Mango Hybridization (?)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 04:48:38 PM »
I saw its likely you'll get some hybrids, but unless you have access to gene sequencer or you hand pollinate and cover the flowers you can be certain.
- David Antonio Garcia

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
I would assess the chances as good.  Proximity clearly plays a role.  I think your concept of hybridization is correct.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 04:51:45 PM »
nice container garden!
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 06:34:26 PM »
ooooh....sexy setup, Jani!

;D

Gary

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:00:31 PM »
Ha ha...thanks! my trees have made the back patio pretty useless for anything else..the back is a hot mess....but the open side I've got organized and "pretty" with my Rockstar pickering the centerpiece ...

Back to the hybrid issue..I guess I had this thought while in the yard that with so many of my favorites  feet apart and directly rubbing and exchanging pollen, that maybe eventually one of the future seedlings will be some super fantastic hybrid... but in 5 or 10 years when they fruit knowing my luck it will be crap :)....but hey there's always juicing....
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:14:13 PM by Jani »
always longing for a JA Julie