Author Topic: Lemon Zest - disappointed  (Read 13942 times)

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Lemon Zest - disappointed
« on: June 17, 2015, 02:22:12 PM »
So let me preface with the typical stuff..taste is subjective, there are so many variables that affect it from soil,  climate, weather, plant health, tree age etc etc..which can vary from year to year and even yard to yard ..so I got all that. .

Anyway I finally got around to tasting the supposed GOAT mango...I got a handful from two different private trees last week and decided to hold my reviews until I had a bigger sample size. .. I went up to excalibur today and got a bunch... all three sets of fruit contained several that to my unfamiliar LZ eye appeared to be at peak ripeness.

They surely had a unique flavor, and to me (just my opinion) actually reminded me a little of mallika...but overall I have to say I was really disappointed (I also tried a couple of not very ripe ones to see if I would like them better)..honestly I didn't even want to finish eating them.

I don't get the hype, and forget GOAT, LZ ranks waaay down my list from these early experiences.. again given all the variables etc Re mango tasting and also it's subjectivity ...I'll surely try some more over time.

But LZ? All I can say is...meh

always longing for a JA Julie

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Lemon Zest - disappointed
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
On another note, I tried coconut cream for the first time also and was absolutely blown away...splendid fruit!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 02:27:43 PM »
the first mango this year that I got to taste was the LZ! ( just ate it about 5 minutes ago!!)

today i got a box of fruit from Squam (Tropical Acres Farm)

LZ was superb!  Citrus mango flavor, it lived up to it's name!

I'm still waiting for a few sweet tart mangoes to ripen...but so far LZ was the best of about 4 varieties I tasted today.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 02:37:29 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what's your ethnicity/cultural background (i.e. are you a Floridian through and through, recent transplant from the islands, etc.)? I would imagine that is a huge factor in individual tastebuds.

BrettBorders

• tropical fruit is a taste of paradise
    • Lake Worth, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:38 PM »
Jani,

From your tagline, I suggest trying a Juliette if you haven't yet. It was real good.

naturelover

• Zone 10a. Western Palm Beach County
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 02:51:59 PM »
my husband doesn't like it that much either. He is a native Floridian who grew up in home grown Haden. LZ does have a lemony taste and some of them are a bit chalky too.

I think they are delicious.

Everyone has their own taste preferences.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 03:04:12 PM »
Jani,

From your tagline, I suggest trying a Juliette if you haven't yet. It was real good.

And I do not like Julie and the Juliette was really bad....so as has been said, tastes are subjective and while we may call you crazy, there is no right or wrong.  It actually means more LZ for those who really like it/   :)
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
Jani,

+1  very good
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 03:46:16 PM »

If you don't mind me asking, what's your ethnicity/cultural background (i.e. are you a Floridian through and through, recent transplant from the islands, etc.)? I would imagine that is a huge factor in individual tastebuds.
I don't mind at all.. Jamaican (also with a Trinidadian background), but lived in FL for some 18 years now which is just a shade less than half my life. Also to be honest, outside of my love for Julies (and by that I mean the ones grown on the island which are exponentially better) I really am not one of those who must have that Caribbean-y  resinous taste (as many describe it here) to my mangoes.. Actually (while i like them) I don't care all that much for East Indians, Bombays and some of the other common varieties associated with the islands, and prefer many of the florida and other varieties from other parts over some  of (not all) the traditional island mangoes. So I don't think in this case my heritage really influenced my experience with LZ to date.

I just don't get what the big deal is...I was truly expecting to be blown away as so many rank this as the GOAT, and I found it pretty forgettable. As said above I loved the coco creams and my early experiences with them this week , so I really don't think there's any cultural bias built in here.. I'll keep trying LZ, but early impressions for 3 sources, and various ripeness stages including fully ripe is that they are massively overrated ...to me at least .
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 03:51:44 PM by Jani »

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 03:50:28 PM »
Jani, I feel your pain....I have been blessed to sample some AMAZING mangoes this year (and a few last year).  Was blown away by:  fruit punch, sweet tart, maha chanok, seacrest, coconut cream, PPK (Lemon merengue), angie, edgar, orange sherbet, and Gary.  In addition, I have had many great tasting varieties like PSM, Juliette, Guava, val carrie etc.

I had LZ at the PBRFC in addition to the other Heavy hitter mangoes.  It didn't even get recognized when recalling later.  Upon reflecting back, I had good things to say about FP, PPK, CC, E-4, Juliette, K-3, Karen Michelle, Spirit of 76, but couldn't think of much for LZ except for 1.  must not have been ripe 2.  glad I didn't force myself to eat more.

I have had 3 fruits from different places, and all have been: meh.  Now, like Jani, I am willing to be won over in time, and willing to admit it may not have been ripe/may have been a poor-quality fruit (internal breakdown)/may not be a goos year for LZ.  But,  I really can't see how this is the undisputed GOAT.  Coconut cream, fruit punch, sweet tart, providence, maha chanok all have a right to vy for top spot in my book.  As far as LZ, I don't want to dis Earl the Goat with such superlatives  :P 
The positive was that the wife enjoyed them, so at least my 2 trees won't go to waste, though one may need top-working if this trend (of not being top-tier to my tastes) continues after sampling more next year. 

Totally hoping that I am somehow wrong and I will come back here to eat crow.  Until then, Viva Fruit Punch!!!
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:06 PM »
Jani,

+1  very good
thanks , I will definitely try those if I can get them ...to be clear tho, I didn't post this to either compare LZ to anything else or seek alternatives suiting my palate.. just really giving my opinion on my early experiences with LZ in isolation ...

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 03:54:48 PM »
BTW Jebus, I am a caucasian-American but didn't grow up in Florida or even eating mangoes (northern transplant).  I do not have any affinity to caribbean types either--like some, but not all)...Mostly I like the Edward kind of mango with creamy texture and a potent balance between sweet and tart (subacid). 
~Jeff

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »
Jani, I feel your pain....I have been blessed to sample some AMAZING mangoes this year (and a few last year).  Was blown away by:  fruit punch, sweet tart, maha chanok, seacrest, coconut cream, PPK (Lemon merengue), angie, edgar, orange sherbet, and Gary.  In addition, I have had many great tasting varieties like PSM, Juliette, Guava, val carrie etc.

I had LZ at the PBRFC in addition to the other Heavy hitter mangoes.  It didn't even get recognized when recalling later.  Upon reflecting back, I had good things to say about FP, PPK, CC, E-4, Juliette, K-3, Karen Michelle, Spirit of 76, but couldn't think of much for LZ except for 1.  must not have been ripe 2.  glad I didn't force myself to eat more.

I have had 3 fruits from different places, and all have been: meh.  Now, like Jani, I am willing to be won over in time, and willing to admit it may not have been ripe/may have been a poor-quality fruit (internal breakdown)/may not be a goos year for LZ.  But,  I really can't see how this is the undisputed GOAT.  Coconut cream, fruit punch, sweet tart, providence, maha chanok all have a right to vy for top spot in my book.  As far as LZ, I don't want to dis Earl the Goat with such superlatives  :P 
The positive was that the wife enjoyed them, so at least my 2 trees won't go to waste, though one may need top-working if this trend (of not being top-tier to my tastes) continues after sampling more next year. 

Totally hoping that I am somehow wrong and I will come back here to eat crow.  Until then, Viva Fruit Punch!!!

Hey I picked up several of those varieties at excalibur today, including Gary, val Carrie and some other stuff I haven't tried before...excited to sample them later with an open mind!  Like you, I certainly accept that this reflects only my early experiences with LZ, and yeah, things can change including personal palate... I hated sapodillas before and can't get enough of them now,  something I never thought possible... so I'm really open minded about LZ here, and really trying to make it clear this is only about my "early" experiences...

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 04:16:07 PM »
Were they bland (ie, not very sweet)?

It's early in the LZ harvest season, and the first % that are harvested can have a bland flavor. This is fairly common with mangoes -- even the first part of my coco cream crop was bland.

So far this year, my 3 favorites (from my yard) have been, in order of preference:

0) Lemon Zest
1) Harry Chanok
2) Coco Cream

This year's Dot mangoes haven't been as good as in previous years, along with Carrie and Pickering. But glenn have been really good. LZ tend to be consistently good in my experience though.

Keep trying the LZ. You'll eventually "get it." It took me 4 years to finally appreciate the Maha Chanok, and now it's one of my favorite mangoes. If you never find that LZ awesomeoness, then there's nothing wrong with having a minority opinion :-)
Jeff  :-)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 04:23:50 PM »

It's early in the LZ harvest season, and the first % that are harvested can have a bland flavor. This is fairly common with mangoes -- even the first part of my coco cream crop was bland.

So far this year, my 3 favorites (from my yard) have been, in order of preference:

0) Lemon Zest
1) Harry Chanok
2) Coco Cream

This year's Dot mangoes haven't been as good as in previous years, along with Carrie and Pickering. But glenn have been really good. LZ tend to be consistently good in my experience though.

Keep trying the LZ. You'll eventually "get it." It took me 4 years to finally appreciate the Maha Chanok, and now it's one of my favorite mangoes. If you never find that LZ awesomeoness, then there's nothing wrong with having a minority opinion :-)

I don't necessarily attribute it to the early in the season but instead from an early bloom.  I have eaten many LZ this year and have been pretty darn good.  The Coco Cream have been very inconsistent and some average but those are early bloom, still have later bloom on the tree.  The early Sweet Tarts have been amazing, so just assuming and waiting on the late season.  Have has some early bloom Orange Sherbert and have been very good but not as good as can be.  The Mahachanok I had, again early bloom, have been nothing speacial.  I am hoping the later bloom fruit still hanging are up to the standard they should be (I have had enough in the past to know they can and usually are an excellent fruit).
- Rob

BENDERSGROVE

• BENDER'S TROPICAL GROVE
    • USA, Davie, FL 33331, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • BENDERSGROVE
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2015, 04:31:37 PM »
Good lord. Lol. Everyone has different tastes and favorites. It is not brain surgery or politics! Mango flavor varies year to year depending on many issues. Shooooooooo
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 04:40:03 PM by BENDERSGROVE »

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2015, 04:53:32 PM »
Good lord. Lol. Everyone has different tastes and favorites. It is not brain surgery or politics! Mango flavor varies year to year depending on many issues. Shooooooooo

**bsbullie lifts up rock so Mike can crawl back under**    ;) ;D 8)
- Rob

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2015, 05:33:23 PM »

0) Lemon Zest
1) Harry Chanok
2) Coco Cream

oh I will definitely keep trying!

Nah they were very flavorful not bland at all

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
Hey Rob,

I also picked up some Garys today... Never had them before, based on the pic below how long do you think before ready? Or do these not really color up that much... there's a fair amount of give with light finger pressing...

Thanks,

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2015, 05:38:59 PM »
yeah I get that and agree (and started my review with that acknowledgement )... however, even with knowing that, still, from what I have read here EVERYONE has been universally (and orgasmicly) blown away with Lemon Zest often from their very first sample...so even with all the variability associated with taste...I can't help but wonder what all the hype was about, especially having gotten fruit from 3 completely different sources for comparison. ...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:41:21 PM by Jani »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2015, 05:45:38 PM »
Jani,

And I do not like Julie and the Juliette was really bad....so as has been said, tastes are subjective and while we may call you crazy, there is no right or wrong.  It actually means more LZ for those who really like it/   :)

What? You don't like exactly the same mangoes that i like? There must be something terribly wrong with you! Better seek counseling.
My ethnicity: I am from the planet Mars. I don't know why, but i only like the red mangoes.
Oscar

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 06:14:44 PM »
On another note, I tried coconut cream for the first time also and was absolutely blown away...splendid fruit!

My experience has  been the opposite. Love LZ.  Coconut Cream is my meh mango.  *

Different strokes / folks.

* but don't tell anyone

FRUITBOXHERO

• Coral Springs Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 06:50:20 PM »
I will have to say I have sampled many of the heavy hitters this year and would rank LZ around #4 very good but not the  orgasmic experience I was hoping for... Fruit punch and seacrest have been the most loved in my house! With coco cream right behind them.... But my love of mangos make me say that any mango I am lucky enough to be eating today is my favorite!!!! To many GREAT choices and most are special in there ownway! 
Joe

Jani

• Miramar, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2015, 07:14:59 PM »
I will have to say I have sampled many of the heavy hitters this year and would rank LZ around #4 very good but not the  orgasmic experience I was hoping for...

Same..hope I didn't give anyone the impression that I thought it was awful. .it was pretty decent/goodish...but meh relative to the orgasmic experience I was expecting based on what seemed like almost universal opinion on here....

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2015, 07:15:27 PM »
I'm going to start banning everyone who doesn't like the Lemon Zest.