Author Topic: Pitangatuba; Believe the hype.  (Read 23273 times)

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
Re: Pitangatuba; Believe the hype.
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2016, 11:03:27 PM »
I know I posted about the pitangatuba ( somewhere )...have 4 fruiting , one is huge , over 3 meters tall and 3 wide . I also have one at my house ( close to the ocean ) that I took home from the nursery because of the extra large fruits it produced while still in a 20 liter paint bucket ( almost Carambola size ) , this bush has been pampered and flowers like hell , but no fruit ....could the ocean breaze have something to do with it ???

how long ago did you move the tree?

www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2016, 09:37:06 AM »
I know I posted about the pitangatuba ( somewhere )...have 4 fruiting , one is huge , over 3 meters tall and 3 wide . I also have one at my house ( close to the ocean ) that I took home from the nursery because of the extra large fruits it produced while still in a 20 liter paint bucket ( almost Carambola size ) , this bush has been pampered and flowers like hell , but no fruit ....could the ocean breaze have something to do with it ???

About 2 years ago Adam , was fruiting in the bucket ...now the bush is close to 1.70 tall and wide.
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »

About 2 years ago Adam , was fruiting in the bucket ...now the bush is close to 1.70 tall and wide.

hopefully the tree will figure out how to fruit again...sometimes they can forget for a while, if you alter their environment, or relocate them.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2016, 12:37:50 AM »
Star cherry question:   I see some flowers seem to get pollinated.  But lots of my fruits fall off around jellybean size.  What's the cause of that?

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2016, 10:34:21 AM »

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2016, 10:46:45 AM »
Congratulations!!!  ;D I love pitangatuba, i eat some from Miguel!  :P :P :P

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2016, 04:13:21 PM »
Shane

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2016, 05:03:55 PM »

this is the elongated variety, it seems have low latex, and milder flavor than others that I have...some trees have a white grape juice aftertaste, and others are more like pineapple, the flavor profile is hard to pin down, especially when there is such variation within the species.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2016, 05:30:49 AM »
I call the taste tropical. I found, that the best way how to collect those fruits is to collect them when they start to turn yellow - to avoid their  fall to the ground few days later-  and let them to turn fully yellow in the room. I like the sweet heavy aroma which fill the room during the proces of yellowing. As FlyingFoxFruits wrote befor, there is only short period of perfect taste - when they are fully yellow. Strongest tropical taste is in the skin.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 05:35:12 AM by Radoslav »

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2016, 05:38:53 AM »
I have a few from different sources and the fruit are large. They are very aromatic and plant ripened fruit in hot weather taste best. My experience of eating them differs from several others. I find the 'taint' like a bad Surinam cherry as less than agreeable when eaten straight and fresh. With youghurt or icecream is a different story but there is a passionfruit like quality to them.

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2016, 06:56:25 AM »
Yeah passionfruit is what I got from it same as other member from here robin hood. I got one giant fruit, well to me it was giant compared to all my other eugenias but i left it till it dropped and it was soft but the aroma was a very tropical passionfruit smell and there wasn't any resin flavour or harsh tartness. It was rather sweet with about as much acidity as an orange but got the tacky inside of the mouth from the suckin on the skin but the latex wasn't that bad. Stock was from Adam.

bigalxx15

• USA, Florida, Cooper City, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2017, 03:44:25 PM »
I just purchase three 7 gallon Pitangatuba plants from South Miami yesterday, two out of the three have fruit and all three are flowering. I've never tasted the fruit before
so I purchased them based on recommendation alone, plus at the price the nursery was selling them I couldn't resist.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2017, 09:11:23 PM »
I really like to eat the pitangatuba fruit but allot of people don't like it. I have 10 plants and am really
starting to have some fruit. I took two fruit today to my accountant along with yellow grumichama and
zill's black suriname cherries. My accountant did not like the pitangatuba but really liked the others?
I must have eaten 10 pitangatubas today. I have two children and one likes it one doesn't. More for me!

palologrower

• Honolulu, HI, US, Zone 12B
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2017, 06:58:57 AM »
I really like to eat the pitangatuba fruit but allot of people don't like it. I have 10 plants and am really
starting to have some fruit. I took two fruit today to my accountant along with yellow grumichama and
zill's black suriname cherries. My accountant did not like the pitangatuba but really liked the others?
I must have eaten 10 pitangatubas today. I have two children and one likes it one doesn't. More for me!

maybe should serve with a side order of miracle berry.  that makes a big difference.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #64 on: April 14, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
I grabbed a handful of these from Adam FFF while in Orlando a little over a month ago.  Will hopefully have some fruit to try in the next year or so.

So far, there is large variation not just in texture of leaves, but color and shape as well.  All seedlings.

Will be interesting.

azorean

• Portugal, Azores, São Roque do Pico
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2017, 05:28:02 PM »
Hello, I have these two pitangatuba plants, from two different Portuguese sources and they seem quite distinct to me. This is the first time they are fruiting, I am very excited but still have to guess the flavor. From the pictures is any of you able to identify which cultivars they are?

plant 1

plant 2

plant 1

plant 2