Author Topic: Arranging lychee tree cultivars by size  (Read 4651 times)

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
Arranging lychee tree cultivars by size
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:03:02 PM »
I will soon be planting my container lychee trees in the ground.  I'm looking for advice as to their ultimate size if left unpruned, of the following varieties of lychee trees so that I can give them an appropriate spot in the yard depending on their space needs. 

Sweetheart (medium?)
Kaimana (small/medium?)
Mauritius (large?)
Ohia (small/medium?)
No Mai tsze (small/medium?)
Emperor (medium?)

Thanks!

Brad
Brad

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
Re: Arranging lychee tree cultivars by size
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 11:19:17 PM »
Brad that looks pretty good alright and Bengal is extra large.I have been buying drinks lately and small and medium no longer exist.There is large,extra large and jumbo these days.I suppose kwai mai pink is medium/large and fai zee siu will show up eventually and that is medium/large as well.Bengal is the biggest with mauritius (tai so) being next by my reckoning.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 11:26:58 PM »
I will soon be planting my container lychee trees in the ground.  I'm looking for advice as to their ultimate size if left unpruned, of the following varieties of lychee trees so that I can give them an appropriate spot in the yard depending on their space needs. 

Sweetheart (medium?)
Kaimana (small/medium?)
Mauritius (large?)
Ohia (small/medium?)
No Mai tsze (small/medium?)
Emperor (medium?)

Thanks!

Brad

Emperor is small, probably the smallest of the whole group. Kaimana is more medium (and doesn't fruit well in FL)

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 06:42:44 AM »
Can't help you much with No Mai Tsze.  Emperor, as menioned is clearly on the slower end of the scale.  My Sweethearts are much later plantings than my other trees.  Kwai Mai Pink in my yard are all dwarfs but the tree they came from at Whitman's was not dwarf at all, so i think that is more or less similar to Kaimana.  Bengal is vigorous, as is Mauritius.  I would not classify Ohia as small, it seems to be somehere between Mauritius and Kaimana.  Sorry for the poorly organized response.  I'm a bit scatter brained this morning.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
Thanks for the responses guys.  I have 3 smaller spaces, which I guess I will allot to Emperor, Kaimana and No Mai Tsze.

Brad
Brad

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 09:33:47 PM »
An afterthought.    Do you think it is unrealistic to allot 12' width for a kaimana and 15' for Mauritius?

Brad
Brad

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 10:33:53 PM »
An afterthought.    Do you think it is unrealistic to allot 12' width for a kaimana and 15' for Mauritius?

Brad

Nah.  You're gonna cut them back every year, right?
John

bradflorida

• Osprey, FL. Zone 10A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:04:27 PM »
Yes. 

Brad
Brad

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:40:37 AM »
I also bought lychee jakrapat (emperor) and will grow it in a big pot from about 150 litre (40 gallons). This species grows in Chiang Mai nothern Thailand and i want to grow it in Bangkok.

I m glad to read that this is the small species but what is small? I also have a place in the soil in full sun but that is 1.5 metre (5 feet) wide between a wall and a concrete floor. The soil is heavy clay there. Will this emperor grow huge roots or how tall will the tree be anyway?

And if i grow it in a pot what soil should i use? I read the lychee likes natural fertilisers only so i can mix that all in a pot with some dead coconutshell/wood and some compost, vermicast,bonemeal. What else should i put in the pot if i want to grow it in there? And do they need water every day?

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
Bangkok,

Coco coir, with wood chips, with a little bonemeal and compost mixed in (I use a similar mix but with. Just make sure the mix drains well. In a 40 gal container, you should only need to water 2-3 times a week. I would make sure the container can be broken open or plant removed after 3-4 years. Since you would want to root prune and repot eventually.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:41:21 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 08:15:33 AM »
Thanks for the tips. My sprinklers go daily 2 times now for the orchids and ferns so thats too much for the lychee then. Maybe i should buy the waterlychee , or i just try it and see if they survive. If not then i can easy buy another lychee for 2$.