Author Topic: Questions about planting Achacha  (Read 8790 times)

micah

• Waipio Valley, Hawaii, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Questions about planting Achacha
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2016, 12:49:06 PM »
The recommendation was to plant them 10 meters apart or 30 feet whichever you prefer!

Aus comercial orchard also appears to be about 10 meters apart. As per Peter's observation that distance seems to be needed to increase to pretty astonishing 15-16 meters. At 10 meters apart 8 meters horizontal branches would grossly encroach into another tree's theritory.

I wish I knew this before. Looks like about 4 achachas will need to be sacrificed for mulch.
Wow that's a huge distance, it'll be a while before the space fills in between the trees.  It would be amazing to see a mature tree with big spacing in fruit...thousands and thousands of fruits!
We have two trees that are about 15 ft apart...they are over ten yrs now. this year each tree has over well over 200 fruits. ones about 20 ft tall the other 15... They are starting to touch each other.  At the time bought them,  they were still being called a Few different names...bakupari, achachairu, wasn't sure what size they got. I thought the trees were going to stay small.  Eventually I'll mulch the less productive one...but for now they are happy together...and more fruit than just one tree.  Many volunteers below the tree, in the wild I figure they would grow quite close to each other naturally
For the first 3 yrs after planting I ritually went to Starbucks got the free coffe grinds and spread around the area of the tree along with all the kitchen compost. Most times this helped them grow/fruit faster

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2016, 01:19:29 PM »
Anyone know where one might find a decent sized tree for sale in South Florida?

Pine Island brought a bunch to the Brevard Tropical Fruit club's tree sale last month.
3 gal about 3 foot tall.

DM

onur

• NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2016, 03:00:13 PM »
Joehewitt, I also became dumb and made the same mistake !!  :-[  :)

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 03:07:02 PM by onur »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk