Author Topic: "Tasting 6 of Gary Zill's New mango varieties"  (Read 11617 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Johnny Redland

• Redland FL
    • View Profile
Re: "Tasting 6 of Gary Zill's New mango varieties"
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2018, 09:49:13 PM »
This video didn’t really have me jumping to plant out another cultivar if you know what I mean

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2018, 10:40:52 PM »
I see a big problem from all of them...picked too soon!  These fruit are being ruined picked at this stage.  E4 dry?  Come on.

I am not even going to comment on all of the skin being eaten. Sorry Har.
- Rob

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2018, 10:49:21 PM »
I love the furniture in the video. I believe I have the same set of chairs :D

I could not imagine eating the skin :P

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2018, 11:15:27 PM »
I can only say that only a really stupid person would eat the skin.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 12:31:25 AM »
Har is extremely knowledgeable in regards to Mangos and the skin of many fruit contains many healthy nutrients. Some people may be allergic to mango sap and some may even have an adverse reaction to the skin but if a person likes to eat the skin, I see no reason why he shouldn’t.

I personally don’t eat the skin of Mangos but I do love the taste of the flesh right next to the skin, especially for the varieties which seem to have more turpenes near the skin.

Some people don’t eat the skin from apples or peaches, more power to them.

I like how Chris sampled the fruit without knowing what was what although she knew what varieties were on the panel.

Simon

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2018, 12:36:57 AM »
I personally eat some skin on mangoes depending on the variety. Some are pleasant & some are bitter as the skin contains nutrients & also fiber.

Barnacle1982

• Miami, florida Usa 33176
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2018, 12:49:25 AM »
I tried Sugarloaf and it was excellent.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2018, 12:53:21 AM »
??

Jeff  :-)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2018, 08:39:02 AM »

If that is the case, there are many stupid persons on this forum, including me. I am, however, not stupid enough to comment on what someone else should or shouldn't eat.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 08:43:04 AM by mangokothiyan »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:05 AM »
They really gave thumbs down to Fruit Cocktail!
John

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2018, 10:00:43 AM »
I think to many, including me, eating the skin is gross or just wrong (that is my opinion and should not be meant to infer that nobody should eat it).

As far as analyzing the fruit for the general public (as the youtube video), the eating of the skin should not have been part of the review process.

Again, as was stated in the video and by Har in another post, there are problems with the fruit being picked at the right time.  I find this ridiculous and a bit negligent.  Si you have to pick more frequently and less fruit at each picking...these fruit are being oicked for individual sales and consumption and not commercial sales/bulk shipping (which its still being picked "too" green).  Pick it at the right stage and it will be much more enjoyable (and will result in a better liking, marketing and ultimate sales).
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2018, 10:09:33 AM »
When we tasted E4 the fruit were purchased on Monday to serve on Saturday

Both the e4 and fruit cocktail were outstanding at that time

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2018, 10:43:37 AM »
I had two fruit cocktail that were perfectly colored/ripe and great tasting.
- Rob

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2018, 10:21:10 PM »
Har is extremely knowledgeable in regards to Mangos and the skin of many fruit contains many healthy nutrients. Some people may be allergic to mango sap and some may even have an adverse reaction to the skin but if a person likes to eat the skin, I see no reason why he shouldn’t.

I personally don’t eat the skin of Mangos but I do love the taste of the flesh right next to the skin, especially for the varieties which seem to have more turpenes near the skin.

Some people don’t eat the skin from apples or peaches, more power to them.

I like how Chris sampled the fruit without knowing what was what although she knew what varieties were on the panel.

Simon
IMO the skin of the mango can often be used as another way to enjoy eating the mango. As Cookie Monster often puts about eating his Nam Doc listing green, semi green, and fully ripe as the 3rd way.... I have a 4th option for example using the Okrung mango as my closest comparison and I can also eat the skin to add a lime type taste to the mango. I often eat all of the skin on the Florigon if fully ripe and yellow. I usually eat half the skin on a carrie but usually avoid the hard sap balls near the top. I eat the phillipean mango skin to add to its flavor.

If a mango that is desired to be eaten at the usual sweet/tart stage of green/yellow etc. and you wait a day and forget to eat it till all yellow (for example)... You can often still get a tart component out of many mangos by eating the skin with the (in this case) overripe yellow mango. 

Sometimes, the skin is just too bitter to eat, and I don't eat it... I usually peel the Keitt & many others rather than eating the skin.

Also, plant material helps with daily movements..  ;)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 10:38:21 PM by palmcity »

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2018, 11:41:31 PM »
Eating the skin of mangoes is stupid, plain and simple. There is no nutritive value to it and although it may contain slight amounts of fiber, it also contains substances on and in the skin that can cause severe skin reactions like dermatitis that is dangerous for many people. Making a video like that is reckless and many people could follow this foolish practice who no nothing about mangoes. The fiber is found in the mango itself with massive amounts of vitamin A so absolutely no need to eat the skin.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2018, 12:21:42 AM »
Lots of people eat mango skin. Pretty common among mango connoisseurs. Mango neophytes are generally averse to eating the skin though.
Jeff  :-)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2018, 12:50:28 AM »
At the end of that video,  Chris wrote that , that mango was picked too soon.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2018, 01:16:18 AM »
Eating the skin of mangoes is stupid, plain and simple. There is no nutritive value to it and although it may contain slight amounts of fiber, it also contains substances on and in the skin that can cause severe skin reactions like dermatitis that is dangerous for many people. Making a video like that is reckless and many people could follow this foolish practice who no nothing about mangoes. The fiber is found in the mango itself with massive amounts of vitamin A so absolutely no need to eat the skin.

What can I say but pure ignorance. You could have just kept your mouth shut but you couldn’t help yourself could you.

Simon

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:48 AM »
We bought six trees lately

A super Julie, Guava and Orange Sherbet for her

A M4, pina colada and orange sherbet for me

As soon as E4 hits we will buy two. It’s that good

Gambit

• USA, Florida, St. Pete, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2018, 09:34:16 AM »

What can I say but pure ignorance. You could have just kept your mouth shut but you couldn’t help yourself could you.

Simon

Nah... he brought a couple of shovels with him.

beefyboy

• united states, florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2018, 10:00:00 AM »
Lots of people eat mango skin. Pretty common among mango connoisseurs. Mango neophytes are generally averse to eating the skin though.

Till your dumb ass gets dermatitis and you then realize you cannot do it any more because your skin is cracking on the corner of your mouth and won't stop. I have seen so many stupid posts you make but this one may be tops for the dumb ass of the year award, which is a crowded field so congrats on the win. Gain some knowledge on this subject before you spew stupidity for others to see.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2018, 10:14:22 AM »

Till your dumb ass gets dermatitis and you then realize you cannot do it any more because your skin is cracking on the corner of your mouth and won't stop. I have seen so many stupid posts you make but this one may be tops for the dumb ass of the year award, which is a crowded field so congrats on the win. Gain some knowledge on this subject before you spew stupidity for others to see.

Tone it down or you're going to be banned.

I have been eating mango skins since I was at least 3 years old and I have not had any ill effect. There are people who may have an allergy to mango skin, and those people should not eat mango skins then. It's the same as with any allergy. Should no one eat peanuts or drink milk because some people have allergic reactions to them?

I think you're the only one "spewing stupidity" here right now.