Author Topic: When should I harvest these satsuma oranges?  (Read 8086 times)

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
When should I harvest these satsuma oranges?
« on: October 15, 2012, 07:00:37 AM »
I got my first big crop of Citrus unshiu oranges (or satsumas, or tangerines) this year.  Most have changed color, but are still somewhat green.  One has turned fully orange, but after a gentle tug, the stem feels like it remains tightly connected.  Is there any advantage to leaving it on the plant any longer?  Should I eat it now, wait until the stem loosens, or the fruit is ready to fall off?  I certainly don't want to wait past its prime.

I suspect commercial oranges are picked somewhat green and chemically ripened during transport to the grocery store.  I know this is how they treat bananas.  I also suspect this results in less sugar in the fruit than its maximum potential.  I want the sweetest fruit I can grow at home.  When is the ideal time to harvest?

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
Re: When should I harvest these satsuma oranges?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 10:01:05 AM »
I grew satsumas in Tallahassee and Houston. I found that they tasted best after the first frost hit them. I usually would harvest all of mine by the end of October. You should harvest one with the green skin. I found that they tasted best to be at fully mature before the color change. They do not store well on the tree. Once they are fully Orange and if the skin gets puffy the flavor will not be at its peak. If you have a lot you should harvest a couple per week until you determine the stage you like best!

Good Luck!

Ed

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 01:34:23 PM »
I got my first big crop of Citrus unshiu oranges (or satsumas, or tangerines) this year.  Most have changed color, but are still somewhat green.  One has turned fully orange, but after a gentle tug, the stem feels like it remains tightly connected.  Is there any advantage to leaving it on the plant any longer?  Should I eat it now, wait until the stem loosens, or the fruit is ready to fall off?  I certainly don't want to wait past its prime.

I suspect commercial oranges are picked somewhat green and chemically ripened during transport to the grocery store.  I know this is how they treat bananas.  I also suspect this results in less sugar in the fruit than its maximum potential.  I want the sweetest fruit I can grow at home.  When is the ideal time to harvest?

Cold temps and light frost will make them sweeter. My Dancy tangerine got very sweet winter 2010 when we had a few cold days n nights and light frost on my windshield 7AM in the morning...got a 28 degree reading

Pancrazio

• Off Tropic
  • Florence, Italy, USDA 8
    • Growing fruits in Florence, and Pratovecchio, Italy
    • View Profile
    • FruttAma.it
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »
First year with satsumas (Miyagawa), for me. So far, the better one i got were the green ones. They weren't sweet at all, but slightly acidic and still somewhat aromatic. The yellow ones, weren't acidic at all, but without the acid even the aroma went away, and they tasted, frankly, pretty bland.
Anyway, overall, they aren't the sweetest fruit.
Now, hearing that the frost makes them sweeter, I hope that the last one i left on the plant will taste better.  First frost should hit here in a month or so, so i'll have a way to check this.
Italian fruit forum

I want to buy/trade central asia apricots. Contact me in PM if interested.

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2012, 12:51:48 PM »
I had heard that citrus fruit tastes sweeter after a frost before.  Unfortunately, I've already brought all my tropical plants into my sunroom for the winter.  It gets cool out there, but it certainly won't get any frost because that would kill my coffee trees.

Next year, I'll rearrange the plants so I don't have to bring the citrus trees inside until last.