Author Topic: How big does Jackfruit need to be...?  (Read 2799 times)

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
How big does Jackfruit need to be...?
« on: November 12, 2019, 01:38:27 PM »
How big does a Jackfruit tree need to be in order to bear fruit?  I've read these trees reach 40 feet tall at maturity, but at best, I've got only about 12 feet in my sunroom.  I know many plants naturally dwarf if they are grown in a container, but if I can't grow fruit in a "patio" size tree, there's not much point.  It sure wouldn't live through the winter outdoors here in Zone 7.

My wife and I took the Taste of Jamaica Tour out of Ocho Rios a couple of weeks ago.  The tour guide provided over a dozen different fruits and vegetables for us to taste.  Jackfruit was by far the sweetest and most delicious.  From what I've read, what we tasted must have been fully matured fruit and not the "young" Jackfruit.

If you get a chance, I heartily recommend this tour.  As we drove up and down the mountains, the driver/tour guide would stop the bus, point out a plant or tree, and then let us taste a sample of that fruit.  There were at least half a dozen fruits I had never even seen before, much less tasted.  Jackfruit was among the fruits that were entirely new to me.  Yummy!

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: How big does Jackfruit need to be...?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 03:36:58 PM »
Jackfruit might be my favorite fruit.  I planted a grafted one in my greenhouse this summer and it has already tripled in size.  Ive read some grafted types can be kept at 6-8ft but havent seen it myself.  Mine has 15ft of vertical space so I have high hopes. 

FMfruitforest

• Tropical Fruit
    • USA, FL,zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 04:45:48 AM »
I have a black Gold seedling about 2 1/2 yrs of age that has just put out its first male flower. Around 11’ tall. Outdoor Zone10a SwFl

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 04:55:58 AM »
Black gold is a queensland variety but we see it much here any more and it does fruit fast.J33 can fruit in less than 2 years if it is really healthy.

jimmy_va

• usa,va,springfield,7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 09:00:18 AM »
I am in zone 7 too, Northern Virginia and I also have a Jackfruit in my sunroom. I planted it 20 months ago directly into the ground.On the lower right of the picture,you can see it's very healthy and only  at 4 ft. tall now.The variety is Var-small from Top T. and you can keep it at 7- 8 ft tall. The height of my sunroom is also 13ft.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 12:57:36 PM »
Really nice looking room!

My Jackfruit tree has grown wide like a bush, but very steadily.  I am hoping it will start growing upwards soon.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 01:12:30 PM »
I am in zone 7 too, Northern Virginia and I also have a Jackfruit in my sunroom. I planted it 20 months ago directly into the ground.On the lower right of the picture,you can see it's very healthy and only  at 4 ft. tall now.The variety is Var-small from Top T. and you can keep it at 7- 8 ft tall. The height of my sunroom is also 13ft.

That’s really cool. What other trees are in there ?

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 01:38:34 PM »
I’ve had fruit from a two year old tree before. After they reach 12 feet you can keep topping them to maintain their size.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
I've got a couple of berry jack seedlings thanks to Mike T's generosity some years back.  To give you an idea, the first started blooming profusely at about 7-8' tall, if I recall correctly.  That berry jack seedling has been very vigorous and seems to want to put on a lot of vertical growth (despite pruning to discourage it).  The other berry jack is much less vigorous and is probably only about that height (7-8') now & I have not yet noted any blossoming.  I've also got a Ziman Pink grafted tree that has probably not held any fruit until about 10' tall.  This tree seems to be less vigorous & also seems more amenable to being trained to more spreading growth than the vigorous berry seedling.

So, I am guessing that you could find a clone that could bear fruit in your sunroom but, depending on variety, it might take a lot of work to keep it under control.  Some research is probably in order to find the variety that may work best for you.  By the way, these trees I mention are in the ground, in HI.

John

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 02:28:02 PM »
What's "berry jack" ?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 06:17:33 PM »
How big does a Jackfruit tree need to be in order to bear fruit?  I've read these trees reach 40 feet tall at maturity, but at best, I've got only about 12 feet in my sunroom. 
If it is a sunroom not a greenhouse the trees are not finding sun coming in at their top but only the sides. I expect that will likely accelerate vertical growth then head horizontal towards your windows. We get plenty of sun here in Florida despite folks who say you get more at higher latitudes. Even with sun, heat and growing in soil a 3 year old Jackfruit never pruned would be 20 feet and reaching for the sky. Maybe they told you it was a small fruited jackfruit. Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 06:21:05 PM by pineislander »

Ulfr

• Brisbane Australia
    • View Profile
    • Practical Primate
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 07:28:25 PM »
What's "berry jack" ?

An Australian variety bred by Ron Berry. Said to be one of the better ones (I've never tasted it). http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4255.0

There are black golds and (presumably) seedling jacks in my area that fruit and are kept very small, like 8 ft. All have roots in the ground though.

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 09:31:12 PM »
I’ve got one that is trained low, but then you have to deal with a wide tree. Most of the low trained ones I’ve seen have scaffold branches low enough you can’t walk under. Might end up with a national lampoons Christmas tree effect. Has anyone fruited one of those nanka mini jaks? Maybe they will be small enough.

https://youtu.be/SvFDcqVcIU4

Here’s my trained one. The scaffolds are maybe 3 feet off the ground and tree is 8 feet tall.

brian

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 04:31:53 PM »
Here's my jackfruit.   I highlighted the size it was when I got it ~6mo ago.... it grew a ton

johnsonw

• Merritt Island, FL
    • View Profile
    • Code At Will
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2019, 10:07:06 PM »
I planted my jack fruit almost a year ago now and it’s about 6’ to 7’ tall. I have some really tough grass to deal with where I planted it so I wanted to make sure the roof ball got nice and big. To do this, I cut the bottom off of a large potting container and planted with high quality soil and hurried the pot in the ground. This kept the grass out while letting the roots grow. Once it had been established and growing well I dug around the pot, cut it, and removed it so the roots can continue growing out. I was happy to see that the tap root had established and I was able to remove the pot without disturbing it. I don’t have fruit yet but the tree is very healthy looking. I am hoping for fruit next year, fingers crossed.

Will

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Here are three views of my sunroom.  You might say it's more of a greenhouse than a sunroom because most of the ceiling is glass.  It's a bit longer than 27 feet East to West; not quite 12 feet North to South; approximately 300 square feet.

This is the view looking toward the East.  The window is approximately 4-1/2 feet high by 8-1/2 feet wide.  The six glass panes in the ceiling and the three windows across the South wall are the same size.  Notice the Hawaiian heritage coffee tree full of cherries on the left.  ;D

This is the view looking toward the South.  The tree line is far enough away and at a lower elevation (down the hill) that I get full sun all day long.  That's a Frankincense in the foreground.   ;D

This is the view looking toward the West.  The double doors are 8 feet tall.  I take all my plants outside in late Spring to enjoy the wind, rain, Summer heat and humidity.  I bring them back inside in mid October before the first frost.  That's why all my larger plant containers are mounted on rolling platforms.

The floor is concrete.  There's just enough slope to let excess water flow to the drainage channel along the South wall.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2019, 04:34:05 PM »
Here is my tabuey x j30 8 years old finally fruited this years. I’ve prune yearly to keep it small. Now, I have a Borneo red that fruited in 4 years.

TonyinCC

• Trying to enjoy home grown fruit 12 months a year
    • Cape Coral,FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2019, 10:46:57 AM »
I had one bear two fruit this year at about 5 feet in height, it had a canopy with about as many leaves as the one Brian posted a pic of, but with about a 4 inch trunk at the base. I topped it from about 9 feet to 6 feet about two years ago,and it just sat and didn't grow until after I harvested the fruit this August. It actually died back about a foot after pruning and took forever to start regrowth. I was worried it would die after maturing the fruit.
 It finally put on a flush of growth about 2 months post harvest  when the weather cooled and the rains came. It replaced almost all of its leaves, is looking healthy and about 6 ft tall now. It is blooming again now and has double the leaves it had when it matured two fruit. It is a grafted Sweet Fairchild, but when I took a closer look the fruit were actually below the graft union and just above the ground.
 A tree that size in a pot could be moved indoors through a regular sized doorway.