Author Topic: Jackfruit in Publix (major FL chain grocery)  (Read 4048 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
Jackfruit in Publix (major FL chain grocery)
« on: February 02, 2020, 02:55:04 PM »
Was surprised to see this 18lb Jackfruit in a Publix near me (9B). Product of Mexico #3454. Imported by Coast Tropical (based in San Diego?). Had some ripening and soft areas around it. It was only $20. Thought I'd gamble :D. Pictured next to a Hasya sappo (from a 3gal potted tree).

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Jackfruit in Publix (major FL chain grocery)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 03:20:36 PM »
My grocery store sells these often also, but they charge $2/lb and usually only sell whole fruits.  I have been disappointed a few times spending $30+ and getting one that was way unripe, or starred rotting immediately.  I dont understand why they dont slice them or quarter them.

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 09:14:37 PM »
I guess I got lucky. The one I bought at Publix was smaller and slightly giving. I left it on a counter for a few days till it started to smell and got softer. Turned out delicious.  It was about 10 pounds for $0.99 per pound.

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2020, 03:19:51 PM »
Jaks have been available at international markets here in middle TN for a long time.

However, our Kroger store in my small, country-ish town has been carrying them regularly for several months.

They are sold per unit - $25 apiece. So, big ones are a good value.

However - they are not in good shape. Most of the time i look at them they have a rotting "ulcer" or two.

It's been a while since i've seen a whole jackfruit at any market that has looked appropriate to purchase. Usually way overripe. It's a shame because it's an amazing fruit.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2020, 07:38:34 AM »
Glad to report this jack was delicious. Sweet, orange fleshed and crunchy. Very little if any latex- like the soft/ mushy types I'm accustomed too (and that I've found to be sweeter).
F*ck squirrels and deers

John Travis

• Winter Park FL 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2020, 11:10:57 AM »
I was surprised to see them at Publix in Central FL. I talked with the produce guy about cutting them up and selling the processed fruit. Taking on a whole Jackfruit is a little intimidating for the average consumer.
John

papergeek

• USA, Florida, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 09:21:09 AM »
I've been seeing them in HEB in Austin, Texas for the last year or two. There seems to be a grower in Mexico who got production going and started selling them into US grocery chains. Before that you could only find them in Asian groceries. Green jackfruit are still hard to find but I've gotten them in Indian groceries (a very popular but messy cooking option in India).
I used to only like to get them cut and of course I'll often spend $20 or more for a large whole one but I've found that even after cutting they keep in the fridge for a few weeks. A bonus of keeping one in the fridge is the sticky latex becomes a bit less sticky.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 09:27:00 PM »
I just picked up a jackfruit from Publix (same product #3454) and am excited to try it. It has a little give to it and a slight yummy jackfruit smell.

When will I know it's ready?

Also, if it's as good as TnTrobbie describes, is it worth planting the seeds? The fruit is from Mexico, so I wonder if it was irradiated. The label doesn't seem to have the irradiated symbol.

If these seeds are not worth planting, does anyone know where I could obtain seeds of a good, crunchy, low-latex jackfruit?

Thanks!

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 01:10:15 AM »
I just picked up a jackfruit from Publix (same product #3454) and am excited to try it. It has a little give to it and a slight yummy jackfruit smell.

When will I know it's ready?

Also, if it's as good as TnTrobbie describes, is it worth planting the seeds? The fruit is from Mexico, so I wonder if it was irradiated. The label doesn't seem to have the irradiated symbol.

If these seeds are not worth planting, does anyone know where I could obtain seeds of a good, crunchy, low-latex jackfruit?

Thanks!

It is ready when you can leave finger impressions on the exterior and a fruity smell begins to emerge.

However, if it starts to rot anywhere on the fruit, you'll need to open it up. If, you pop it early, you can simply freeze the fruits and eat them later.  Taste great frozen even if not fully ripened.

As for the Publix Jackfruit, I bought one as well. I already prepped the seeds for planting. Got 66 of them out of a 16# Jackfruit.

You'll want to soak them in water for 3-4 days until the outer hardened skin softens, then you can wet paper wrap and bag until germination for planting.

I do not think they are irradiated because I already see root nubs and swelling taking place. I should know for sure in a day or two.

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 09:16:40 AM »
Thanks for the info, Viking Guy! Definitely post whether your seeds germinate!
Looking forward to tackling this puppy

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 09:56:29 AM »
Here is where I had began documenting the journey for someone else who requested it.  This is the publix Jackfruit.  I snatched another 12#er yesterday.  The flavor is really good on this variety. Tastes like a combination of mango and sweet cantaloupe.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
All the seeds sprouted from the Publix jack I bought. Some faster than others. I have like 60 sprouts. Gonna plant some in random areas on my property (3 in a hole). Some I'll grow in pots and eventually plant in "prime" spots.
F*ck squirrels and deers

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 01:03:57 PM »
JACK IS CRACK!!!

Kudos to Publix for offering great quality, super low latex Jackfruit.

I ended up buying two because I'm a glutton. They were awesome.

I have no room in my yard, but planted a whole bunch of seeds in containers. I'll do a search, but if anyone has any experience/comments about seedling Jackfruit, feel free to add them here.

Thanks!

Odenwald

• West central Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 01:59:47 PM »
Detwiler's Farm Market, in Palmetto, FL has jackfruit this time of year.  I bought one a week or two back which was almost completely latex free.  However, it was not a tasty as the one I bought there last year, that was also more sticky.  I wonder if they are messing with them to be more saleable, but end up with less taste.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 02:04:17 PM »
Detwiler's Farm Market, in Palmetto, FL has jackfruit this time of year.  I bought one a week or two back which was almost completely latex free.  However, it was not a tasty as the one I bought there last year, that was also more sticky.  I wonder if they are messing with them to be more saleable, but end up with less taste.

They taste best tree ripened.

If they sell them commercially, then they must get picked green for shipping.  Will mess with the flavor.

Can cause them to rot prematurely as well.  Make sure they're well ventilated while counter ripening store bought Jack's.  Don't let any plastic touch their surfaces will sitting idle.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 04:45:05 PM »
Was surprised to see this 18lb Jackfruit in a Publix near me (9B). Product of Mexico #3454. Imported by Coast Tropical (based in San Diego?). Had some ripening and soft areas around it. It was only $20. Thought I'd gamble

I gambled also. Mine did not ripen completely but started to rot at the top in 3 days thus I had to cut it and did eat most of it partially ripe but not orange like the previous posters. But the seed do seem to be viable. The taste seemed like it would have been very good had it ripened fully but only had a little juicy fruit hint of a taste to the light yellow seed pods.

If it starts to rot.... Cut it open & salvage what you can....

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2020, 08:05:28 PM »
Was surprised to see this 18lb Jackfruit in a Publix near me (9B). Product of Mexico #3454. Imported by Coast Tropical (based in San Diego?). Had some ripening and soft areas around it. It was only $20. Thought I'd gamble

I gambled also. Mine did not ripen completely but started to rot at the top in 3 days thus I had to cut it and did eat most of it partially ripe but not orange like the previous posters. But the seed do seem to be viable. The taste seemed like it would have been very good had it ripened fully but only had a little juicy fruit hint of a taste to the light yellow seed pods.

If it starts to rot.... Cut it open & salvage what you can....

That is actually a yellow variety.  Tastes more like cantaloupe.

Go for Publix's smaller ones for the bubble gum flavored orange ones.

I've been getting a mix of both, as my wife prefers the yellow and kids the orange.

I like both.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2020, 04:13:31 PM »

Make sure they're well ventilated while counter ripening store bought Jack's.  Don't let any plastic touch their surfaces will sitting idle.
I bought a 10+ lbs and later a 14+ lbs jackfruit and both were juicy fruit tasting to me. The second was more ripe when I noticed a few small soft or fermenting areas and thus had to cut. Both were placed inside on a tile floor for a few days after purchase. I enjoyed the second much more than the first purchased as the seed pods were orange & sweeter and I froze two packs and thawed days later but today I finished it off and am looking for more to purchase. I think Publix Jacked up the Jak price to about 1.29/lb as I checked a few days ago before I was out.

I went to youtube to check jackfruit ripening and the reference listed has an opposite opinion on allowing plastic to touch the surfaces of the fruit. She actually put her jackfruit in a plastic bag with bananas to rapidly ripen it over 48 hours... Just a fyi and I don't know what others have tried to speed ripening without rot.         https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKp4Helht0o   Title is "How To Speed Up Jackfruit Ripening" nice smiling young woman talking with a bike & banana plants behind the preparation table.

4 of my jackfruit seeds have sprouted; in case someone wants to know if the seeds were viable.

SilverSapote

• United States, Central Texas, 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
Every Sprouts I've been to in Florida and Texas seems to carry just one from Melissa's Produce, always rotting away on the shelf designated for tropicals. $1.30/lb if I remember right.

H.E.B.

H.E.B. - Publix equivalent - in central Texas has been carrying them year-round since at least last year. Usually a minimum of 3 on display of varying degrees of ripeness. Last summer, in season, they were $1.13/lb. Currently around the $1.20/lb mark. Two different producers from Mexico. Forgot the name of one, but the main one is Cabello which surprisingly has also been supplying mangosteen to the shelves. The first one I ever bought in June of last year was the best. All the others since have been subpar and have suffered from flesh rot in the pulp. I have one on the counter right now which I hope doesn't disappoint now that the season should be starting.

Linda's Tropical Fruits

The cheapest I've ever seen, and the largest ones, were at a small specialty store, Linda's Tropical Fruits in Houston, TX. $0.99/lb. I regret not buying one last time I went, but I did end up getting a non-frozen durian that made up for it.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 10:34:51 PM by SilverSapote »

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2020, 03:44:53 PM »
Sadly, the price at Publix went from $0.99 per pound of jackfruit to $1.29 per pound. Even sadder, the four subsequent jackfruit I purchased from Publix were nowhere near the quality of the first two. A lot of rot and latex. Blechhh.

odin.9

• 8b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2020, 10:38:54 PM »
Sadly, the price at Publix went from $0.99 per pound of jackfruit to $1.29 per pound. Even sadder, the four subsequent jackfruit I purchased from Publix were nowhere near the quality of the first two. A lot of rot and latex. Blechhh.

did any of your seeds sprout from your batch in April?

fliptop

• SWFL10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2020, 11:12:56 PM »
Yes! I have four in the ground and a few more in 1gal containers. Hoping they're as quick to fruit from seed as others have reported.

I did eat the seeds of the four sub par Jackfruit. I boiled them and also roasted them. They're softer when boiled and taste similar to yucca.