Author Topic: Northernmost.... (by zone)  (Read 1049 times)

TNAndy

• East Tennessee USA zone 6b
    • View Profile
Northernmost.... (by zone)
« on: April 07, 2014, 04:13:54 PM »
I'm interested in growing tropical spices and fruit in my sunroom.  Unfortunately, it is difficult to keep it warm enough out there for some of my plants.  I've lost clove, nutmeg, chocolate, coconut, all due to cold.

As we collect tropical plants, we are introducing them into environments they are not used to.  If there is any chance to breed cold tolerance into plants, it sure isn't going to happen in the tropics.

If you have non-native tropicals planted outdoors:
1)  What plants do you have outside braving the cold?
2) How far north do you live?  If you live in Hawaii, how far up the mountain do your plants grow?
3) What zone?
4) What is the coldest temperature they have survived?
5) What is the average night-time temperature in winter OUTDOORS?
6) Do they make viable seeds?

If you have tropicals in containers:
1) What plants do you have?
2) What is the coldest temperature they have survived?
3) What is the average night-time temperature in winter INDOORS?
4) Do they make viable seeds?

I'll start.

I've got a Super Dwarf Cavendish Banana, Kona Coffee Trees, Dwarf Pomegranate, and various Citrus.  All are in containers.  They survived upper 30's--40 degrees F briefly, and 45 degrees on a regular basis.  All have flowered and made fruit.

I've got a an Allspice (Pimento) tree, Barbados Cherry (Acerola), and a Surinam Cherry (Eugenia) that have flowered but not fruited.  My Jelly palms are much too young to flower.

If you think you have a more-cold-hardy clove, nutmeg, or chocolate tree, please let me know.