Author Topic: Mango, which of theese varieties is the best?  (Read 1421 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Mango, which of theese varieties is the best?
« on: June 20, 2023, 10:07:48 AM »
Hello 👋,  i want to buy myself one or two grafted mango trees, one will definitely be planted in the ground , in the greenhouse, on a raised spot. If i happen to order 2 , the other one will be grown in a pot.
The varieties i have access to are:
 Irwin
Osteen
Tommy atkins
Gomera 3
 Kensington pride
R2
Zebdid
 Keitt
They will be grown in a small greenhouse, heated, in a northern climate(Bulgaria). Which one has the best flavour ,along with a smaller stature, suitable for greenhouse tight space growing? Ive red that kensington pride has a strong vertical growth habbit, so this may not be suitable?
Please help me pick the 2 best varieties out of this list.

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango, which of theese varieties is the best?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2023, 12:47:19 PM »
I like Keitt much more than Tommy Atkins

A German youtube taster was surprised the new Spain grown Keitt are in his opinion better than Osteen also grown in Spain::::   
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tiPe4gcqSQ

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
I  wish you lots of luck. Sofia is the same latitude as Maine in the USA.  One factor for me (in Sofia) would be which mango variety is most red.  For impressing yourself and others. Example---  I have a mango tree that makes red fruits. Buyers gravitate towards it. Even though I tell them that my green, turning to yellow mangoes are more delicious.

Red meaning ripe, being human nature, is how you see all these 99 cent -- 99¢ mangoes at Walmart last week. They were very nice red. But picked far prematurely in Peru, Mexico, Brazil, whatever. They then pasteurize these mangoes and ship them to America for dunces to eat.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2023, 04:42:05 PM »
Palmcity, i'm taking notes! Thanks for the link,i also didnt know that mainland Spain grows mangoes...

Zands , i will try my best ! I dont know what the climate in Maine is, ive heard its quite cold there haha, here i believe we are alot milder, plus my greenhouse has a stable heating system, temperature is not an issues for me anymore, i keep it constant above 10C in the greenhouse, in winter. Red may also help as to know when to harvest, although ive also stumbled upon those store bought fully red mangoes, rock hard, not edible at least for humans....

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2023, 01:07:36 AM »
The list is shrinking
Osteen
Keitt
Kensington
Zebdid
R2
I am gravitating towards keitt and osteen ?

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2023, 01:30:28 AM »
In terms of flavor: Kensington. I think you can keep them short with regular pruning.
In terms of productivity and use for processing/ freezing: keitt. also bears consistently.
r2e2 is a great mango in terms of appearance and size but taste is underwhelming, mediocre at best
Tommy Atkins is possibly the most sub-par tasting mango of all time.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2023, 01:50:58 AM »
Just herd with the seller i am left with kensington, zebdid and r2, there really isnt anything to choose from now, i am going with kensington, wondering about the zebdid still...

bulldawg305

• Miami, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2023, 08:27:07 AM »
Never heard of Zebdid. Maybe it's the same as Zebda, but misspelled or pronounced differently? Which is a green Egyptian mango with good flavor.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2023, 09:24:35 AM »
Never heard of Zebdid. Maybe it's the same as Zebda, but misspelled or pronounced differently? Which is a green Egyptian mango with good flavor.

Yeah i'm also puzzled a little' since i could not find the name zebdid  as an actual mango variety,i did found zebda thought ,so i think that there is probably a mistake in the name

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2023, 09:51:27 AM »
They must mean Zebda, which is good and probably what I would grow if only able to grow one of the trees you listed.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2023, 11:50:17 AM »
I ordered the possibly mislabeled one, zebda, along with kensington pride. I am taking the trees tomorrow and will upload some pics once i have them.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2023, 04:40:51 PM »
I ordered the possibly mislabeled one, zebda, along with kensington pride. I am taking the trees tomorrow and will upload some pics once i have them.

Anything you really like  you must buy two. This is called redundant back up.   Modern jets have three backup systems.  I just bought two Asics Gel Venture 8 shoes. The price was right. Bought for $29 each due to a pricing mistake or they were unloading at Zappos via Amazon. One must always have backups, and plans B , and redundancy.

And if you are a billionaire, stay away from submersible  mini subs.

https://www.amazon.com/ASICS-1011A826-400-Mens-Gel-Venture-8/dp/B09GZ2C2X3

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2023, 11:03:45 PM »
Definitely think you made the right decision not to go with r2e2, the mangoes are so big and might have a harder time ripening properly in a colder climate

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 01:32:08 AM »
Yes, well i was thinking which one should be the second, r2 or zebda, but zebda got the better ratings here so ....
Yes i wanted two, well i want alot more haha but i'll go with those two as a start, havent grown mango before, i only have one 2 year old seedling around 10 cm high, a huge dissapointment that is.
Not a bilionaire here, even struggling to be a middle class haha, funny enough i wouldnt buy myself some fancy expensive shoes, but i would def go for a plant of the same price, talk about bad decisions  haha

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 02:23:59 PM »
This is the kensington pride, looks a little rough if you ask me, but i hope it does well....

Zebda on the other hand looks exceptional. 

I wonder which one to plant in the ground and which one should stay potted. I want to make a round raised bed with garden border, and plant the tree with a raised root crown, this should be an advantage, wright? They are planted in what looks like pure turf along with perlite, i will be filling the raised bed also with turf and perlite, should i mix some of the native soil with the good mix and plant it in that, or plant it only in the good stuff and let it find itself the native soil ? Should i make the raised bed as tall as the pot that its planted in?

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2023, 10:07:49 AM »
Get a keitt and a pickering mango tree.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2023, 10:44:32 AM »
I will take a few more for sure, when i see them available. I also thought about pickering, as a dwarf for the greenhouse.
The kensington i got i think is not at all a kensington, there is no graft visible, also has the  seedling kink at the bottom of the trunk. I contacted the lady i took them from, shte first said there has to be a graft, i said there wasnt. Yesterday she contacted me and said that she contacted the seller from which she takes them( shes a reseller) and he said that the plant is a rooted cutting, yeah sure it is haha, i mean , i can recognise a rooted cutting when i see one. The plant is a seedling no doubt. Anyway, i dont think she is to blame, we actually talked yesterday and she seems nice, anyway, for the future i will want detailed plant pics ,along with pics of the graft spot.
I think i will buy from her again as she has sold a number of tropical rarities as jaboticaba, starraple, longans etc, to people i know, and i do look for such species from some time...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2023, 10:46:49 AM by Plantinyum »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2023, 10:56:08 AM »
KP is poly and often true to type from seed.

tiffany

« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2023, 09:10:39 PM »
spammer
« Last Edit: April 04, 2024, 09:13:52 PM by JakeFruit »

Sir Graftalot

• Where the wood at?
    • U.S.A.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2023, 10:02:35 PM »
I'm no mango expert but I'm a northern grower myself and I'm growing a Neelam (I realize this one is not on your list) based on your similar requirements - a very late season mango to give fruits enough time to ripen; fruits are small so not too taxing on a container tree; the tree can be kept small with relative ease.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 10:05:21 PM by Sir Graftalot »

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2023, 05:53:42 PM »
I went with zebdid and kensington, as thats what was available, after consulting with the nurseries ithat offered them. Zebdid is inground in the gh and is doing well, the kensington which i am sure is not the said variety, but rather a seedling, is also doing good in a small pot. They are wating for spring to start rolling i quess. I will take more plants and other varieties come spring, also some other exotics i have been eager to try for a lot of time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk