Author Topic: Choice for White Sapote Cultivar  (Read 15167 times)

vlan1

• Austin, 78748 8b Sunset Zone 30
    • View Profile
Choice for White Sapote Cultivar
« on: January 20, 2017, 08:11:26 PM »
I am looking at ordering a White Sapote from PIN and they have 4 varieties available:
Homestead, Redland, Smathers, and Younghan.

I was wondering what the major differences between these would be?
Reading through threads on here I saw some opinions that redlands can be pretty hit or miss depending on the seedling rootstock but otherwise not many specifics.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Choice for White Sapote Cultivar
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 11:52:02 PM »
Will you plant it in the ground?
John

vlan1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 02:14:42 PM »
Will you plant it in the ground?

I am on the fence about that. I have heard in ground they can get quite large without diligent pruning. 

vlan1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »
Nobody has nothin?

I know White Sapote are a second fiddle to Annona for most but
Somebody must know some info about what makes them different?

Frog Valley Farm

• Messages have been disabled here
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2017, 03:44:23 PM »
🗯
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 09:32:36 PM by Frog Valley Farm »

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 12:10:24 AM »
Most California nurseries stock the suebelle which is dwarf. It's yellow skinned so not the sweetest. I hear about cultivars like Malibu #3, Golden Globe, Selk, Clytia, North Park, McDill, etc.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:09 AM »
Most California nurseries stock the suebelle which is dwarf. It's yellow skinned so not the sweetest. I hear about cultivars like Malibu #3, Golden Globe, Selk, Clytia, North Park, McDill, etc.

Fairhaven is the best I tasted. high brix 30 plus but not nauseatingly sweet very custardy creamy eat entire fruit,  flesh and all, not bitter....pretty close to cherimoya

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 01:41:40 AM »

Fairhaven is the best I tasted. high brix 30 plus but not nauseatingly sweet very custardy creamy eat entire fruit,  flesh and all, not bitter....pretty close to cherimoya
[/quote]

Do you have the tree? I ask because I would like to buy the  scion to graft on my seedling. I like white sapote, but sometime I encounter the biiterness while eating it which make me hesitate to buy the tree in the nursery Sine I have no clue which one is good. Now hearing the name you mentioned that made me excited and really want it.

insect

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2017, 03:26:54 AM »
does any survives -5°C frosts?

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2017, 10:16:36 AM »

Do you have the tree? I ask because I would like to buy the  scion to graft on my seedling. I like white sapote, but sometime I encounter the biiterness while eating it which make me hesitate to buy the tree in the nursery Sine I have no clue which one is good. Now hearing the name you mentioned that made me excited and really want it.
[/quote]

Yes I'll have fairhaven & sunset bud wood available March these are th two best WS.

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2017, 10:24:59 AM »

Yes I'll have fairhaven & sunset bud wood available March these are th two best WS.
[/quote]

Please let me know then. I will pay back the shipping as well as the scion.

I can't wait and imagine tasting delicious, non bitter white sapote. However  it depends on my grafting skill. I am just a newbie when it come to grafting. Sometime it works, sometime it not. Do you know how long the scion lasts?

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 11:55:20 AM »
Frank, I have never heard of 'fairhaven or sunset are they from Florida or did you get those here in Calif.?

vlan1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2017, 12:05:48 PM »

What is the seed to flesh ratio  and fruit size like?

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2017, 06:24:03 PM »
The Sunset I am familiar with came from Exotica nursery. The owner, Steve Spangler, told me this scion originated from a seedling tree from his neighbor across the street on "Sunset" Blvd in Hollywood over 30 years ago when he lived there. His neighbor planted 7 or 8 white sapote seedlings and this one specific tree produced extra large fruit consistently each year about the size of a softball or larger that is very sweet and creamy. Steve propagated this scion onto his center piece cocktail white sapote tree in his nursery in Vista, Calif. You can try the fruits when they are in season. The seeds are also larger but there is plenty of flesh to eat. He also have Chestnut on the same cocktail that is excellent with caramel overtones.

When I find the photo of this magnificent tree in full production, I will posted it here.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:25:48 PM by xshen »

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2017, 06:33:33 PM »
The Sunset I am familiar with came from Exotica nursery. The owner, Steve Spangler, told me this scion originated from a seedling tree from his neighbor across the street on "Sunset" Blvd in Hollywood over 30 years ago when he lived there. His neighbor planted 7 or 8 white sapote seedlings and this one specific tree produced extra large fruit consistently each year about the size of a softball or larger that is very sweet and creamy. Steve propagated this scion onto his center piece cocktail white sapote tree in his nursery in Vista, Calif. You can try the fruits when they are in season. The seeds are also larger but there is plenty of flesh to eat. He also have Chestnut on the same cocktail that is excellent with caramel overtones.

When I find the photo of this magnificent tree in full production, I will posted it here.

Yes Xue. Rudy Haluza got it from Paul Thomson SD CRFG he has chestnut but sunset is better
I will post pix in March

xshen

• Glendora &amp El Monte, 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2017, 06:57:57 PM »
I agree with you Frank. Sunset is one of the best I've tried.

Here is the tree from two years ago when it was in full production mode. I went back last year but there were barely any fruit on it due to the drought. It should produce this year.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2017, 07:09:58 PM »
I forgot about our friend Mark Lee's variety. That one is right up there with fairhaven you eat the entire fruit amazing W. sapote

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 10:10:57 PM »
Now I remembers Mark Lee's variety: Skipper

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2017, 10:20:07 PM »

So among the three varieties : fairhaven, sunset and skipper , which one is the best that has no bitterness?
The bitterness really ruin the  taste of of creamy white sapote

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 10:27:20 PM »

So among the three varieties : fairhaven, sunset and skipper , which one is the best that has no bitterness?
The bitterness really ruin the  taste of of creamy white sapote

There is one more variety from Rudy Haluza Villa Park, the El Bumpo king, that I can't remember.....when I talk to himagain i'll post it. 

dragon

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2017, 06:58:30 PM »

FJ,

Have I missed the fairhaven and sunset scions you posted in March? When is the next time you have the scions available? I have many WS seedlings and really want to graft the best tasty, non- bitterness variety to them.

Paulish

• US, CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2019, 09:15:39 PM »
Very interested in budwood of fairhaven, Dorthia and Sunset varieties; I have younghans if anyone is interested in a trade.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2019, 12:40:00 AM »
The best white sapotes I've had were one of Walton and one of Robert's Rainbow.

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2019, 09:30:53 AM »
There are, scattered around, a large number of white sapote selections from Bob Chamber's collection in Rainbow CA.  He collected preferred selections over many years planted on his large acreage.  He allowed some folks to collect scionwood from his mature trees and these have been passed around for a few years.  It is difficult to determine what is best with regard to flavor, texture, seed sizes, skin thickness, etc.  Then again, climatic factors and time of ripening need to be factored in.  In no way could I compare a peach grown here with one from the Central Valley, ours are terrible in comparison.  We have white sapote trees in CA planted during during the mission era.  Perhaps good fruit then, but compared to new selections they are not great.  Bet you didn't know there was a white sapote website or URL!
http://www.whitesapote.com/

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »
There are, scattered around, a large number of white sapote selections from Bob Chamber's collection in Rainbow CA.  He collected preferred selections over many years planted on his large acreage.  He allowed some folks to collect scionwood from his mature trees and these have been passed around for a few years.  It is difficult to determine what is best with regard to flavor, texture, seed sizes, skin thickness, etc.  Then again, climatic factors and time of ripening need to be factored in.  In no way could I compare a peach grown here with one from the Central Valley, ours are terrible in comparison.  We have white sapote trees in CA planted during during the mission era.  Perhaps good fruit then, but compared to new selections they are not great.  Bet you didn't know there was a white sapote website or URL!
http://www.whitesapote.com/

I contacted Harvey C about buying scions a while back and he wasn't interested at that time. I did buy some really nice dragon fruit cuttings from him on ebay though.
-Josh

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk