Author Topic: Casimiroa edulis  (Read 6668 times)

cyclonenat

• New Zealand, Invercargill/ 9810/ 9 a and b
    • View Profile
Casimiroa edulis
« on: August 14, 2012, 06:33:06 PM »
I have ordered a Casimiroa edulis plant it is double grafted here is the description it is $40 NZ

These have been double grafted with Pike and LNP scion wood, so will take care of their own pollination

cyclonenat

• View Profile
Re: Casimiroa edulis
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
So is it a cold hardy plant ? a NZ website says its hardy to -5C i was wondering if this was true or not? cheers

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2012, 09:25:19 PM »
It is sub-tropical, and does take some cold, but I don't know the limits.
Har

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:20 PM »
thanks guanabanus

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
CRFG Frut Cultural Data sheets give harm temperature of white sapote as 28F (-2C) and kill temperature as 22F (-5 C). You should try to protect plants from freeze when young as these temperatures are usually for mature trees. There will also be some differences between different cultivars as far as hardiness. I know people that grow them and fruit them fine in North Island NZ.
Oscar

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 11:14:15 PM »
Ok cool im pushing it then because i am living in Invercargill right at the bottom of the South Island

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 11:20:46 PM »
Ok cool im pushing it then because i am living in Invercargill right at the bottom of the South Island

Yup, you're pushing it. I never realized how close southernmost portion of NZ is to Antarctica till i went there. As i recall Invercargill is also very windy? You will have to overwinter your plants indoors. These white sapote plants are native to Mexico. I suggest you research about plants from southern Chile or southern Argentina where they have much more similar climate to yours. Do feijoas grow well in your area? (Those are from southern Brazil but at high elevation.)
Oscar

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 11:22:36 PM »
yep feijoas do overly well here they usually get wasted there is so many

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 11:25:32 PM »
yep feijoas do overly well here they usually get wasted there is so many

yum! I love feijoas. NZ has the best feijoas on the planet by far.  :P I still remember eating there feijoa preserves on fresh farm made yoghurt. So tasty!
Oscar

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 11:30:40 PM »
currants gooseberry strawberries do well here and japanese raisin tree, i absolutely love mangoes

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:37:47 PM »
currants gooseberry strawberries do well here and japanese raisin tree, i absolutely love mangoes

I've never been able to taste currants or gooseberries, but that is a good sign your area gets pretty cold. Do you grow loquat? That is another fruit that should take well to your climate.  Persimmons should also do well. Others are quince and medlar.
Oscar

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
what does loquat taste like? Quinces are used for making jam am i right? Medlar is a odd looking fruit wonder what it tastes like?

I have got a young citrus avacado grown from seed lucuma icecream bean tamarillo and some others which are overwintered inside.

Do you know any rare temperate fruits?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 11:58:32 PM »
what does loquat taste like? Quinces are used for making jam am i right? Medlar is a odd looking fruit wonder what it tastes like?

I have got a young citrus avacado grown from seed lucuma icecream bean tamarillo and some others which are overwintered inside.

Do you know any rare temperate fruits?

Loquat is very highly prized in Japan. Hard to describe the taste. The texture is soft, melting, and quite juicy, similar to peach. It is sweet, with a little bit of tartness. Yes the quince is very popular in South America for making preserves. The medlar i've heard tastes like an apple with wine, but i've never tasted it. Sorry don't know much about rare temperate fruits. If you can grow currant and gooseberris i would think there are very many other berries that would do well in your area.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 12:42:03 PM »
Wow Cyclonenat, you are pushing the envelope of growing down there in Invercargil. Past through there on vacation many years back very nice little town. I would sure protect that white sapote come winter time and needs wind shelter for sure. I've got thirty plus varieties on maybe 12 or so trees and I'm on the Central Coast of Calif. 2-3 miles inland from ocean with cool summer growing conditions. My trees grow well but not like they do inland more where there  is heat. So fruit production is not great but we do get some but wish it was more. Endeed up with some many varieties because I went with some other rare fruiters a few years ago down to De luce area in nothern San Deigo area to old CRFG member Bob Chambers White Sapote groves where he has 40 + varieties growing, our quest was to help save alot of these varieties because Bob is getting up in age and future of groves is uncertain. So we all collected as many as possible in one day and shared wood with many calif. rare fruit growers in hopes of keeping these varieties alive. So, any way take good care of that white sapote and best of luck growing 8)   

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 03:13:56 PM »
Harvey correa put up whitesapote.com documenting his visit to Bob Chambers' grove. Harvey grows chestnuts in central California.

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 06:58:57 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Do you think they will fruit in pots? Its just about spring here as the daffodils etc are flowering and the gooseberry is starting to leaf up. Just sown my vege seeds etc to.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 07:01:36 PM »
Thanks for the help everyone. Do you think they will fruit in pots? Its just about spring here as the daffodils etc are flowering and the gooseberry is starting to leaf up. Just sown my vege seeds etc to.

Yes would fruit in a pot. You would just need to keep potting them up. Eventually would require a very large sized pot, like 100 liters.
Oscar

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 07:03:33 PM »
fyliu, yeah Harvey was one of the guys that went on that trip also Jack Swords who also posts on this forum along with John V. from San Francisco area and Bob H. from San Diego who helped put the trip together. What made the trip special was that Bob Chambers was able to meet us there and decipher his grove maps for us a little. Talk about mapping and tagging trees was a bit of a nightmare! ::)

cyclonenat

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 07:09:25 PM »
thanks fruitlovers, cant wait to its warm enough to germinate the tropical seeds im going to get, this will probably be in november december