Author Topic: Getting Jackfruit latex off of things  (Read 11843 times)

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Getting Jackfruit latex off of things
« on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:47 PM »
I read that turpentine will get this sticky stuff off. We did not have any so Mike used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. That worked. Not sure if it is as good as turpentine since we have not tried it. What do you use to get rid of the stickies?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Jackfruit latex off of things
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:11:36 PM »
I read that turpentine will get this sticky stuff off. We did not have any so Mike used Turtle Wax Bug and Tar remover. That worked. Not sure if it is as good as turpentine since we have not tried it. What do you use to get rid of the stickies?
What are trying to get it off of that you would be using turpentine and/or car cleaning products?  Neither product is something I would use to clean something I would be putting a food product on.

Best to clean either outside with paper down or a dedicated cutting board, oil, either liquid or spray such as Pam, the knife and surface (if need be, not all jaks have a high latex content), wearing plastic gloves...refrigerting the who jackfruit will sometimes aid in suppressing.  Certain cultivars, when properly.fully ripe will have very little to no latex.
- Rob

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:25:01 PM »
Olive oil works. 

It is much better to take precautions.  I have a roll of 36 inch wide paper that I bought at Walmart for under 5 dollars and I wear disposable latex gloves. 
Brandon

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:42:47 PM »
Once you have the sticky latex on your hands or knife i suggest using a multi purpose hand cleaner, the kind that you buy in auto parts stores to remove grease from your hands. I found ones that contain lanolin work especially well.
There may be many other products, like WD-40, that get the latex off, but you definitely don't want to use that or car cleaner to get latex off your kitchen utensils. These are not products you want to end up eating!
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 06:50:46 PM »
Use lots of cooking oil on the knife and wipe it every so often with an oiled paper towel.It is better to go for the lower latex types and that goes for abius as well.Turps works with difficulty so disposable gloves is also a good idea.Vegetable oil your hands if you're living on the edge and not using disposable gloves.It pays not to mess around with the skin and core for too long while they are exuding.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
It's said the ancient Hawaiians used breadfruit latex to caulk their canoes. Not only is it very sticky but also impervious to salt water! So yes, it's best not to get it, or jackfruit latex, on you in the first place!
Oscar

natsgarden123

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 08:21:16 PM »
There is an oil that is sold at the beauty stores, its for removing wax residue . It works very well.

Also, PAM sprayed on he knife makes cleanup really easy.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 09:48:07 PM »
At the recent tasting, Harry gave us some cooking oil after which worked great.  Real simple

ReneeFLL

• USA, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33312, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 10:28:51 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the info. When I first cut into the jackfruit and it started oozing the sap I immediately grabbed a bowl. It oozed alot. I did have it on a plastic shopping bag so at least the granite didn't have to be cleaned. If I do grow jackfruit I will have some dedicated items for it.
When I first googled how to clean the sap I read about the turpentine. I will definately have to use some of the methods mentioned above.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 10:55:05 PM »
Thanks everyone for all the info. When I first cut into the jackfruit and it started oozing the sap I immediately grabbed a bowl. It oozed alot. I did have it on a plastic shopping bag so at least the granite didn't have to be cleaned. If I do grow jackfruit I will have some dedicated items for it.
When I first googled how to clean the sap I read about the turpentine. I will definately have to use some of the methods mentioned above.

Hi latex content is usually a sign that the fruit was picked prematurely.
Oscar

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2012, 02:59:12 PM »
Almost no latex left when the fruit is very ripe .
I know it is not the best/healthiest thing to use but thinner works perfectly , I wash my hands and knife a few times when I am done...
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 04:45:24 PM »
Almost no latex left when the fruit is very ripe .
I know it is not the best/healthiest thing to use but thinner works perfectly , I wash my hands and knife a few times when I am done...

An organic jackfruit chased with a toxic chaser?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk