Author Topic: SoCal Papaya sources?  (Read 2577 times)

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
SoCal Papaya sources?
« on: January 29, 2018, 09:37:36 PM »
So I am in the middle of planting out a section of my yard with a lot of Banana's and Papaya's but I am having some trouble finding local sources that carry different types of Papaya. Currently I have Mexican and Solo. Does anyone have any for sale or trade, or know of any Nursery that carries some good types of Papaya.

Thank's
Erik
Erik

wslau

• La Palma, CA, USA, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: SoCal Papaya sources?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2018, 11:00:57 PM »
Warren

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 01:10:21 AM »
If you get down to San Diego go to Ong's Nursery, he has some nice Thai varieties. I think Exotica in Vista has other varieties also.

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 01:58:41 AM »
I grew my healthy Sunrise papaya from seed obtained via home garden packet from the University of Hawaii at Manoa seed bank.
Packets are $1 and shipping is $1

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/seed/seeds.asp

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 03:19:48 AM »
Papaya tree nursery has dwarf Brazilian

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 07:37:58 AM »
You can buy seeds and grow yourself. 

http://www.shop.alohaseed.com/main.sc;jsessionid=291F74DE4CF6173133741E715BA2D241.p3plqscsfapp003
I second that suggestion and the vendor. Seed is very well packaged in foil. Germination in 2 weeks, a month or so to transplanting.
Every tree of Red Lady was either female or hermaphrodite. I saved 1/2 of the seeds for 9 months and got the same germination, even in cool weather. I'll be potting up the seedlings today.

Brebarian

• USA, CA, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 09:50:56 AM »
I have also had good luck germinating seeds from Aloha Seed. They will have the biggest selection by far.

I'd also check with Alex from Papaya Tree Nursery. It's a drive but he usually has a pretty good, albeit small, selection of papaya plants.

Pasca

• Los Angeles, California, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 11:57:27 PM »
I second recommendation to grow from seeds.  I too have ordered from Aloha Seeds.  You get more variety and the seeds germinate and grow well in Southern California.

joehewitt

• Hilo, Hawaii
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 12:03:48 AM »
The farm store nursery at Cal Poly Pomona always has a lot of good sized Papayas for sale whenever I've been there:

https://www.cpp.edu/~farmstore/nursery-specials.shtml

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 11:47:32 AM »
Thanks for all the good suggestions I will have to due some research on germinating Papaya seeds and order some. I was at Alex's place a few weeks ago and the only Papaya plants he had for sale was that Dwarf Brazilian for $140 that is more than I wanted to spend on  a single plant. I have not been to ONG Nursery in a while I will give them a call soon.
Erik

swapnil.tailor

• san jose, ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 12:52:38 PM »
Can we order seeds from cal poly to ship it to North California?

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:29:04 PM »
You can buy seeds and grow yourself. 

http://www.shop.alohaseed.com/main.sc;jsessionid=291F74DE4CF6173133741E715BA2D241.p3plqscsfapp003
I second that suggestion and the vendor. Seed is very well packaged in foil. Germination in 2 weeks, a month or so to transplanting.
Every tree of Red Lady was either female or hermaphrodite. I saved 1/2 of the seeds for 9 months and got the same germination, even in cool weather. I'll be potting up the seedlings today.

Thanks for all the good suggestions I will have to due some research on germinating Papaya seeds and order some. I was at Alex's place a few weeks ago and the only Papaya plants he had for sale was that Dwarf Brazilian for $140 that is more than I wanted to spend on  a single plant. I have not been to ONG Nursery in a while I will give them a call soon.
Whoa, that is a price rape for a non-grafted seed grown plant no harder to grow than a tomato plant. 2 weeks ago I planted seeds into a tray and today I up-potted 50 plants into 2 x 2 inch pots. We even had a cold front with temps down to 39 during germination.
I would have said those Red Lady's in 1 gallons in a few weeks should be worth $5.00 ea.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 08:03:56 PM »
Anyone know what varieties are the sweetest when grown in SoCal?

Simon

RodneyS

• Cerritos, CA (Zone 11a)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:17:03 PM »
Sunrise is pretty sweet