Author Topic: Tethering branches to shape a tree  (Read 2694 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Tethering branches to shape a tree
« on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:05 AM »
How long should a branch remain tethered to train their growth?  I have young Jackfruit tree with a vertical growth habit that I want to shape into a broader tree with more horizontal lateral branches.  Yesterday I tethered some branches into a more favorable position.  How many months must the tethers stay on the tree to train these branches?

Similarly, I have a Black Sapote that shows the effects of strong trade winds so I tethered a couple of branches to balance the tree.  How many months?

I do prune to encourage broader shaped trees, but these trees needed more.

Thanks,
John
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
Re: Tethering branches to shape a tree
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 02:57:54 AM »
In general I find that 1 or 2 flushes of new growth is long enough for re-training branches.  How many months that is depends on the tree and how fast it is growing; in my climate for outdoor trees it can take 2 years but for faster-growing tropical trees 2-3 months can do it in some cases.   I think it just takes a few new growth rings in the branch wood to really adapt to the new configuration.

Kevin

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 06:44:27 AM »
I don't think that there is a one size fits all answer here.  How hard it the wood (type of tree), and how old is the wood (branch diameter), and how far do you want to move it; being the biggest factors.

Train it, test to see if it bounces back.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 01:12:37 PM »
John, I am skeptical that you will get the tree to change its growth habit but it might work.  I had tried this in the past with an ornamental cherry that tended toward upright growth.  I tethered the branches to give it a more spreading shape.  It worked with those branches and I altered their shape.  However, the tree reverted to its upright growth and I just ended up with a broader base but branches still swept up as it grew.  You can't really change what is in the genes.

John

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 01:05:30 PM »
How long should a branch remain tethered to train their growth?  I have young Jackfruit tree with a vertical growth habit that I want to shape into a broader tree with more horizontal lateral branches.  Yesterday I tethered some branches into a more favorable position.  How many months must the tethers stay on the tree to train these branches?

Similarly, I have a Black Sapote that shows the effects of strong trade winds so I tethered a couple of branches to balance the tree.  How many months?

I do prune to encourage broader shaped trees, but these trees needed more.

Thanks,
John

I was just considering doing the same thing to my jackfruit tree and was wondering if you had any success?
Mic

echinopora

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 02:28:30 PM »
Once they brown off it can be hard. There is a powerpoint on the net somewhere by a guy in japan that fruits mangoes commercially in pots. He makes a series if undercuts on the underside of the branch with a pruning saw and then pulls the branches into position.  His mangoes are so low each fruit needs to be supported by a string attached to the roof or else then would be on the floor.

Edited to add link

http://hawaiifruit.net/PruningYonemoto.pdf
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 02:35:47 PM by echinopora »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk