Author Topic: Struggling Mango Tree  (Read 3415 times)

jbrown007

• UNITED STATES, SOUTH FLORIDA, 33325
    • View Profile
Struggling Mango Tree
« on: April 21, 2017, 11:59:11 AM »

The tree has not been growing and the lighter leaves have been there for a while now. Underneath there are some dark leaves and I am considering cutting all the way down to the darker leaves. I'm not sure if the tree got sprayed by someone or it is deficient in some nutrient. It was doing well for the first year or year and half. They are coming up to two years old now. The lighter leaves are NOT new growth. Any ideas what could be going on?

jbrown007

• View Profile
Re: Struggling Mango Tree
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 12:00:11 PM »
Sorry about that last picture. Must have clicked on wrong photo.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 12:02:57 PM »
Sorry about that last picture. Must have clicked on wrong photo.
I was gonna say, maybe you don't have luck growing mangos, but you're very good at growing children.  She's adorable.
My guess is a nutrient issue or your soil is out of balance.  Too much shade?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 12:08:40 PM by johnb51 »
John

jbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
Lol John, I uploaded pictures on my phone and it didn't show me a preview. The Oro Negro Avocado on the left is doing great. Trees are about 6 feet. Mango is killing me. Variety is Carrie.

jbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 12:11:11 PM »
John is the best way to test for nutrients a soil test? I am new to fruit trees. I planted a bunch right when I moved in.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 02:20:31 PM »
John is the best way to test for nutrients a soil test? I am new to fruit trees. I planted a bunch right when I moved in.
Possibly.  We have a lot of experts on this forum.  I wish they'd comment.  Some probably know your area and what your soil issues might be.  My soil is pure sand so I know I have to add as much organic matter as possible (and calcium, I've been told).
John

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:16:09 PM »
Aside from the sri lankan weevel damage to the leaves :D, it looks like iron and some minor elements deficiencies to me (zinc and possibly mo comes to mind). HD sells a citrus foilar spray made by Southern AG for about 6 bucks in the fertilizer section. I'd use that, mixed as directed, and spray 1x a month or even every 2 weeks coating the surface area of the tree- especially on the underneath of the leaves till the excess drips off. Looks like its about to push some new growth again too so it might just be in time. I personally wont worry about pruning dead/damaged stems. How much continuous direct sunlight does this Carrie get? What fertilizer do you use. In the long term, a soil analysis would be of great use to you. 6-8 ft diameter circle mulching  would be nice too for the long term health (and asthetics of your yard) of the tree.
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 03:19:44 PM »
Don't cut it back. That will just make it worse (imagine taking a beating while sick with the flu).

You need to fertilize it. Looks like a combo of iron + copper deficiency? I would give it a fertilizer with a strong micronutrient mix, spray it with copper a few times, and possibly hit it with a couple of pounds of pelletized sulfur to lower the pH a bit. It will take a few months to perk back up.
Jeff  :-)

jbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 05:30:09 PM »
Thank you much for all the responses.

I just got a text message from my wife and her and my daughter just cut the tree back  :-[.
I am purchasing the HD citrus foilar spray today. I'll start spraying that tomorrow. Those hedges behind it do not block it from sunlight so It gets a good 6-8 hours a day. I bought a fertilizer from a small local fruit guy (benders in davie). Just last week I used a miracle grow for fruit trees to try something different. I just sprinkled it under the tree and watered.

Is there a certain type of mulch you guys recommend? I didn't know if mulch would block the tree from getting certain nutrients.
The copper fungicide? Any brand you guys like? Should I spray all my trees with the copper?

Currently have a starfruit (Kembangan)
Avocado Oro Negro
Carrie Mango
Tangelo Orange which gets these caterpiller bugs on it all the time. Looks like bird poo. I spray it with seven along with my Lemon Tree. Not sure if the seven is even doing anything
Banana Tree
Mango Tree- Newer variety (Venus?) Leaves also getting eaten.

Planting a mulberry (everbearing) and another avocado tomorrow

Where I live the soil is really black. It was probably swamp land before they developed.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2017, 08:25:45 PM »
Many good suggestions.  I think we are missing a potential obvious problem.  The nice green lawn that is largely free of weeds.  They probably use Weed & Feed fertilizer to obtain that weedless appearance, which has a herbicide atrazine that harms mango trees.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

jbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2017, 09:12:42 PM »
Me Clean the rest of the forum probably didn't think I was dumb enough to put weed and feed on my lawn. Sure enough I put an application last year off the advice of father in law. Could be the culprit even though I am very cautious around my trees. I'm going to give it some micronutrients and obviously never weed and feed again.
Thanks for tha advice

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »
We know Mike Bender.  Good guy.  He's in your area.  He could advise you, too.  (We're all dumb until we learn, and we're all constantly learning.)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 11:43:29 PM by johnb51 »
John

Das Bhut

• Davie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2017, 12:24:17 PM »
Thank you much for all the responses.

I just got a text message from my wife and her and my daughter just cut the tree back  :-[.
I am purchasing the HD citrus foilar spray today. I'll start spraying that tomorrow. Those hedges behind it do not block it from sunlight so It gets a good 6-8 hours a day. I bought a fertilizer from a small local fruit guy (benders in davie). Just last week I used a miracle grow for fruit trees to try something different. I just sprinkled it under the tree and watered.

Is there a certain type of mulch you guys recommend? I didn't know if mulch would block the tree from getting certain nutrients.
The copper fungicide? Any brand you guys like? Should I spray all my trees with the copper?

Currently have a starfruit (Kembangan)
Avocado Oro Negro
Carrie Mango
Tangelo Orange which gets these caterpiller bugs on it all the time. Looks like bird poo. I spray it with seven along with my Lemon Tree. Not sure if the seven is even doing anything
Banana Tree
Mango Tree- Newer variety (Venus?) Leaves also getting eaten.

Planting a mulberry (everbearing) and another avocado tomorrow

Where I live the soil is really black. It was probably swamp land before they developed.

citrus and white sapote are larval hosts for swallowtail butterflies

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2017, 03:09:43 PM »
looks like major micronutrient deficiencies. Definitely lack of a non mobile nutrient as the older leaves towards the bottom are greener and healthier looking than the newer leaves. It looks like it's a combination of multiple micros and trace your tree is lacking which makes identification of the lacking nutrients very difficult.

For severe cases like yours, I recommend foliar spraying with a good micronutrient spray like Southern Ag Citrus nutritional spray which can be found at Home Depot.

Simon

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2017, 08:39:51 PM »
Did you let the tree hold fruit last year?

I have a similar situation with one of my mango trees. I let a small tree, about 3 1/2' tall hold 2 fruit last year. Unfortunately this year the tree has done almost nothing, no flush, no flower bloom. Guessing because I did not follow the "don't let young mango trees hold fruit."

My 3 larger trees all have fruit that is almost full size along with tons of gape/golf ball sized fruit.

jbrown007

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2017, 09:25:10 PM »
Simon how often do you recommend I spray with the AG. Donkey I am yet to bare fruit. This is my second year since planting. Trees were not large when I purchased

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2017, 11:53:11 PM »
I usually spray with 1 tablespoon per gallon of water but your tree has major deficiencies so I would go with 2 tablespoons per gallon. You can spray, wait a week or two and spray again with 1 tablespoon per gallon. If your soil pH is around 6.5 and you are pretty confident that you do not have nutrient lock, you can also perform a drench with the Southern Ag.

From what I've read on this forum, Florida is very humid and you get a lot more rain than us so you should avoid spraying if rains are expected.

Your tree looks like it's in a weakened state so fungal and bacterial infections will have a much easier time getting a foothold. Not sure if you have Phomopsis around your area but keep your eyes open for signs of infection. Once your tree gets healthier, it will be much better able to ward of diseases.

Simon