Author Topic: Peach not ripening properly  (Read 1293 times)

Plantinyum

• Bulgaria , near Sofia city , planting zone 7
    • View Profile
Peach not ripening properly
« on: October 08, 2020, 02:34:25 PM »
My peach does not ripen as it should , the fruits get a light green to light yellow color and just fall from the tree, which does not show any deficiencies or simply any sighs that there's a problem. I feel like they are also not as sweet as can be, this year's crop is dune ,but is there something I can do for the next year's one?? Its true that the tree is loaded with fruit but I dont think that this is the reason since I have seen peach trees with such fruit sets , but their fruits ripen to a typical  yellow- red coloration. I'm bummed by this tree, any advise is appreciated !!

I'm sorry for the double post ,something went wrong, I dunno how tho delete one so if someone can corect this for me ,it would be great. Thanks
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 02:41:35 PM by Plantinyum »

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Re: Peach not ripening properly
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 02:44:58 PM »
Definitely thin your fruit next time. 

Maybe its not warm enough there to ripen properly?  Its very late for peaches.  Our peach season here is April-August

Brad Spaugh

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 04:42:30 PM »
Sorry. Peach is not a tropical fruit!

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2020, 03:29:01 AM »
Definitely thin your fruit next time. 

Maybe its not warm enough there to ripen properly?  Its very late for peaches.  Our peach season here is April-August

I have thinned the tree 2 x times ,yet it may need more thinning next time. I also know its very late, most of the peaches here ripened around september ,yet mine usually is very late.
Sorry. Peach is not a tropical fruit!
yes ,true , I posted here since there is not much activity  on the temperate fruit forum , and have seen peach treads  here so ....

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2020, 03:26:57 PM »
I think the problem is that they are too late. Peach season was in July, not October... When did the tree flower?

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 12:32:02 AM »
I think the problem is that they are too late. Peach season was in July, not October... When did the tree flower?
it flowered along with all other peach trees around, in march or begining of april. Its getting colder now ,so this may be  impairing  the ripening of them also . In my region peaches ripen  around end of august and september.

Citradia

• USA/NC/Old Fort/6B
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 08:11:00 AM »
I have a peach tree that is partly shaded by a walnut tree and it doesn’t get very hot here in summer either. My peaches ripen in September and the skin usually has a greenish tint to it and flesh is white although supposed to be an Early Elberta. I figured it ripens late and under developed due to lack of heat, similar to lack of color and slow development in my grapefruit. Peaches and citrus really perform better in parts of the USA with warmer climate than I have here. I’m in commercial apple country.

Plantinyum

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 01:16:33 PM »
I have a peach tree that is partly shaded by a walnut tree and it doesn’t get very hot here in summer either. My peaches ripen in September and the skin usually has a greenish tint to it and flesh is white although supposed to be an Early Elberta. I figured it ripens late and under developed due to lack of heat, similar to lack of color and slow development in my grapefruit. Peaches and citrus really perform better in parts of the USA with warmer climate than I have here. I’m in commercial apple country.
seems there are generally multiple reasons for what's happening to my fruit, next year I will try to leave much less fruit, prune the tree to let more sun to the fruit. If its weather related ,then oh well .....