Author Topic: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems  (Read 528825 times)

Dangermouse01

• East coast, Central Florida
    • USA, Palm Bay, FL 32907, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Pests, Diseases, and Nutritional Problems
« Reply #725 on: March 23, 2016, 04:30:48 PM »
Step around the base and see if moles have tunneled around thru the roots. That is usually what I find when I have a small tree that wilts suddenly but will come back when I water it only to be wilted again the next day.

DM

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: March 24, 2016, 09:35:56 AM »
Step around the base and see if moles have tunneled around thru the roots. That is usually what I find when I have a small tree that wilts suddenly but will come back when I water it only to be wilted again the next day.

DM

No moles... The ground is still saturated too so I am sure it has enough water.

Any other ideas?

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: March 24, 2016, 10:24:40 AM »

DM

Any other ideas?

How big/old is the tree?  I would like to see more pictures of the tree and the base also.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: March 24, 2016, 12:45:23 PM »

DM

Any other ideas?

How big/old is the tree?  I would like to see more pictures of the tree and the base also.

it's not that old. I bought it in the fall and would guess it's about 1.5-2 years old. it is about 4 feet tall.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #729 on: March 24, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »

DM

Any other ideas?

it's not that old. I bought it in the fall and would guess it's about 1.5-2 years old. it is about 4 feet tall.

Without seeing the whole tree, I would say it is a combination of stress from the bloom and lack of water.
- Rob

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: March 24, 2016, 05:42:08 PM »

DM

Any other ideas?

Without seeing the whole tree, I would say it is a combination of stress from the bloom and lack of water.

sorry... here are some better pictures. i scratched the surface and it's still moist.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #731 on: March 24, 2016, 06:10:16 PM »
Its not the surface that is the issue (which is why just lawn sprinklers are of little help to younger trees).  In general, from the picture,  it looks pretty dry.
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: March 24, 2016, 07:39:19 PM »
Hard to tell, but the ground looks dry.
Jeff  :-)

merce3

• west central fl, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: March 25, 2016, 08:09:24 AM »
It looks dry, but it is still pretty wet. We got a heavy rain last night but it still looks the same... should I clip the droopy particles or do anything else?

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #734 on: April 23, 2016, 10:41:21 AM »
My Keitt is flushing out and some of the new flushes are looking bad.

I noticed when troubling the new leaves, a skinny brown beetle with a white spot came out. Around the size of an ant, but longer.

Here are some flushes on the same tree that are fine-ish:

Should i remove the diseased looking flushes?
What to should i do?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: April 23, 2016, 10:53:15 PM »
I think this is spider mite, but hoping the other forum members will chime in. I'm getting a bad infestation of the same thing on a couple of my mango trees.

I noticed when troubling the new leaves, a skinny brown beetle with a white spot came out. Around the size of an ant, but longer.

What to should i do?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: April 23, 2016, 11:48:01 PM »
Here are some pictures of mine. Notice all the little bugs in the 3 picture.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #737 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01:24 AM »
Thanks Jeff,
i'll check tomorrow and see if i can see them

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01:55 AM »

I have had the same problem on all my mango trees except Venus. I think it is not diseased; it is just the bugs taking a particular liking to the new growth. I used Sevin on one of the trees (Maha Chanok) just as the swollen buds were about to push out and that worked. The  new growth came out good and healthy looking.  I tip-pruned  most of the other trees and I am planning to use Sevin or Organocide just when the branches push new growth.

I think this is spider mite, but hoping the other forum members will chime in. I'm getting a bad infestation of the same thing on a couple of my mango trees.

What to should i do?
h again

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: April 24, 2016, 12:31:43 AM »
I got some close-up shots of the little buggers. I watched with a magnifier, and they stick a needle like thing in the mouth area into the tender foliage and suck the sap. What the heck are they?

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: April 24, 2016, 01:03:10 AM »
OK. Sevin will work, but it will cause some collateral damage. Very toxic to the guys keeping your soil healthy -- earthworms and millipedes. I tried it once years ago and found piles of dead millipedes the next day. I might try a pyrethrin based product.

I have had the same problem on all my mango trees except Venus. I think it is not diseased; it is just the bugs taking a particular liking to the new growth. I used Sevin on one of the trees (Maha Chanok) just as the swollen buds were about to push out and that worked. The  new growth came out good and healthy looking.  I tip-pruned  most of the other trees and I am planning to use Sevin or Organocide just when the branches push new growth.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: April 24, 2016, 10:32:57 AM »

Thanks for the information, Jeff. How about Safer insect  killing soap? It is organic. I think spraying the tree just when the new growth is about to push out is key. I have seen new growth completely die because of the bugs. They do not seem to be interested in anything other than really tender foliage.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: April 24, 2016, 10:46:01 AM »
Never tried it. Oils here tend to burn. Yah, the trick is finding something that won't burn tender foliage. I wish someone could identify this pest so that we could figure out a good control measure.

Thanks for the information, Jeff. How about Safer insect  killing soap? It is organic. I think spraying the tree just when the new growth is about to push out is key. I have seen new growth completely die because of the bugs. They do not seem to be interested in anything other than really tender foliage.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #743 on: April 24, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
Safer soap is about useless.
- Rob

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: April 24, 2016, 06:19:34 PM »
 - - -  -
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: April 25, 2016, 08:03:47 PM »
So, one person believes that the insect damaging the mango leaves is a mirid. I'm starting to wonder if we had an outbreak of avocado mirids which caused both the swiss cheese avocado leaves (and low fruit set) and the ratty looking new mango growth.

Fortunately, the mango damage is mostly cosmetic at this point, because I'll be pruning all of the affected trees back this summer. So, rather than hit it with insecticide, I'm just going to pick off new shoots and prune out the affected foliage. I think the mirid population will dwindle once the hell heat of south florida summer kicks in.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #746 on: April 25, 2016, 11:13:37 PM »
So, one person believes that the insect damaging the mango leaves is a mirid. I'm starting to wonder if we had an outbreak of avocado mirids which caused both the swiss cheese avocado leaves (and low fruit set) and the ratty looking new mango growth.

Fortunately, the mango damage is mostly cosmetic at this point, because I'll be pruning all of the affected trees back this summer. So, rather than hit it with insecticide, I'm just going to pick off new shoots and prune out the affected foliage. I think the mirid population will dwindle once the hell heat of south florida summer kicks in.

I noticed the two insects in your picture look like different bugs based on their anatomy although it could be angle and clarity.

Have you been able to find any pictures to id the mirid if thsts w h at it is?  Have you had any unusual fruit drop on m a ng and/or avocado?
- Rob

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: April 25, 2016, 11:51:45 PM »
I found some pictures that look very similar to the bugs. But, I haven't had much luck finding info on them in the context of mango. Dr Crane was the one who thought it could be a mirid, but he wasn't sure. I"m still waiting to hear back from a couple of other people.

I noticed the two insects in your picture look like different bugs based on their anatomy although it could be angle and clarity.

Have you been able to find any pictures to id the mirid if thsts w h at it is?  Have you had any unusual fruit drop on m a ng and/or avocado?

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #748 on: April 26, 2016, 08:47:20 AM »
I took a look at the new flushes and i didn't see and bugs around.
I removed it and spot sprayed sevin near the terminals, hopefully the next flush is better.
Seem like with this Keitt ever other flush is messed up.

fisherking73

• Hollywood (Broward county), Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: April 27, 2016, 05:21:56 PM »
So what effect will running sprinklers have on mango production? I am trying to control the amount of water they get as to not to over water when fruiting. The grass has taken a hit the last 2 years, and pretty much scorched earth with beautiful mango trees LOL  Will using sprinkler system to irrigate grass 2-3 time a week screw up anything related to the mangoes?