Author Topic: Getting Cashew tree to 'nut' not fruit...  (Read 1685 times)

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
Getting Cashew tree to 'nut' not fruit...
« on: April 18, 2018, 03:34:17 AM »
Saw a post for sale about a Cashew tree vareity being sold, but it appears it is not a vareity, only has some special technique to not fruit, but to only form nuts.  How do they do this?  Or is this a special variety?  I have seem Red fruit and yellow fruit, I also have the yellow fruit kind, but mine always sets fruit 100%

By not 'fruiting' the nuts are so much larger!

hopefully pictures explain better ---

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Getting Cashew tree to 'nut' not fruit...
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 06:39:16 AM »
Your second photo still has fruiting part. It's just that the fruit is proportionately much smaller than normal to the nut.
Oscar

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2018, 09:46:56 AM »
yeah, that is what I'm saying, I don't think this is specific to a variety because of the first photo.

In the first photo one fruit is developed, with others on the same stem with the small undeveloped fruit.  My 'developed' fruit looks just like that, but have never seen any on my tree go 'all nut'  :)

I am thinking there must be some method to this, natural or chemical?

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2018, 10:45:08 AM »
The second photo shows immature fruits. When they mature, the fruits will be larger as in the first photo!!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 12:43:49 AM »
The second photo shows immature fruits. When they mature, the fruits will be larger as in the first photo!!!
Yes the fruits are immature. But on my trees when the fruit is that size the nut is also a lot smaller than in that photo.
In Brazil there has been a lot of genetic and selection work done on cashews. One development program is towards producing good large nuts. The other program is towards producing good quality fruits, meaning not only large, and sweet, but also totally non astringent. A juice is made in Brazil thet is very high quality, tasting similar to apple juice.
All the fruits in India are usually just discarded, as they are so astringent.
Oscar

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:00:13 AM »
ok, well I feel like perhaps this is a good variety then, my nuts are likely 1/3 or at best 1/2 the size of the nuts in these pictures.  I'll see if I can get one.

sahai1

• NST, THAILAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:06:25 AM »
getting 1/2 kg of seeds, they don't have air layers or grafts.  Don't know how many seeds that it is... but I'll just throw them all in one big hole full of compost. 

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 12:50:38 PM »
Things have changed. Now cashew fruits which are not astringent have been developed. The fruits are used to make squashes and in Goa a fine distilled liquor called "Fenny" is a big industry!!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 05:04:17 PM »
Things have changed. Now cashew fruits which are not astringent have been developed. The fruits are used to make squashes and in Goa a fine distilled liquor called "Fenny" is a big industry!!
Great!
I did have a chance to try the liquor in Goa. But i think that can be made even from astringent fruits.
Oscar