Author Topic: A before and after of my Washington Navel (pics)  (Read 2394 times)

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
A before and after of my Washington Navel (pics)
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:13:25 PM »
I neglected it, but last summer started giving it some love :-)

I am lucky to have a arteisan well, I just need to open the valve and it flows perfectly to soak the trees.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: A before and after of my Washington Navel (pics)
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 09:21:32 PM »
I also have:
Ray Ruby grapefruit
Washington navel
Dancy tangerine
Lemon (forget what kind)
Honeybell tangelo
Calimandun (spelling)
Kent mango
Haden mango
Carrie mango
Glenn mango
Just picked up the Honeybell today.

Here is some pictures of the Honeybell I picked up today:

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 09:45:56 PM »
Your new tree is one of the best new nursery trees that I have seen.  Most new nursery trees are only a tenth (or even smaller) than the size of your newest tangelo.  As you live in Florida, aren't you concerned about Citrus greening (HLB)?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:48:38 PM by Millet »

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 09:49:50 PM »
Your new tree is one of the best new nursery trees that I have seen.  Most new nursery trees are only a tenth that size.

Yeah...I couldn't not buy it. And I have a 3 yr old Dancy I'll plant it next to.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 09:51:52 PM »
Your new tree is one of the best new nursery trees that I have seen.  Most new nursery trees are only a tenth that size.

Yeah...I couldn't not buy it. And I have a 3 yr old Dancy I'll plant it next to.

And yes citrus greening is a concern...but I don't mind the gamble!

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:27 PM »
Also if anybody interested, I had a good leaf minor problem and when i start to see a new flush of
growth (after blooming) I'll spray with spinosad. Done deal, no more leaf minor!!!

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 11:38:36 AM »
Nice looking trees. Amazing how citrus can look and how easy they are with just a little bit of time each week.

I live up the road in Melbourne. Have grown a few citrus trees in containers and lost 2 of them so far to HLB. Use systematics around May/June, thats usually when I see the psyllids on my trees. After I have started using the systematics on my remaining tree- it seems to still be healthy with no sign of the disease yet. Fingers crossed.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »
Nice looking trees. Amazing how citrus can look and how easy they are with just a little bit of time each week.

I live up the road in Melbourne. Have grown a few citrus trees in containers and lost 2 of them so far to HLB. Use systematics around May/June, thats usually when I see the psyllids on my trees. After I have started using the systematics on my remaining tree- it seems to still be healthy with no sign of the disease yet. Fingers crossed.

Yes I'm concerned about the greening also, could you explain
systematics a little more for me or point me in the direction
where I can learn more about it?
Thanks!

poofystuff

• Melbourne, Florida 9B/10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:14:46 AM »

Thanks!

You can find it at the big box stores. https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/insects-pests/fruit-citrus-vegetable-insect-control
Its poured at the base of the tree and absorbed by the roots, so its basically pesticide that is inside the tree. Whenever a bug eats the leaves, it ingests the pesticide and dies. It lasts for about 3-4 months. 1 Application a year, so do it right after flowering (as to not kill bees/butterflies/etc) during spring.
Its definitely not organic but its really the only way to truly protect against the disease unless you can be vigilant and spray your organic pesticides every few days and make sure to fully drench the tree leaves, which can be difficult as the tree gets bigger. The first year I did this with my last remaining grapefruit tree. I sprayed pyrethins on it every few days when I saw the bugs and then after it got established and a decent size canopy after the first 1/1.5 years, I am now using the systematics. So far, I see no signs of the disease and psyllid activity has been low.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 01:09:40 PM »

Thanks!

You can find it at the big box stores. https://www.bioadvanced.com/products/insects-pests/fruit-citrus-vegetable-insect-control
Its poured at the base of the tree and absorbed by the roots, so its basically pesticide that is inside the tree. Whenever a bug eats the leaves, it ingests the pesticide and dies. It lasts for about 3-4 months. 1 Application a year, so do it right after flowering (as to not kill bees/butterflies/etc) during spring.
Its definitely not organic but its really the only way to truly protect against the disease unless you can be vigilant and spray your organic pesticides every few days and make sure to fully drench the tree leaves, which can be difficult as the tree gets bigger. The first year I did this with my last remaining grapefruit tree. I sprayed pyrethins on it every few days when I saw the bugs and then after it got established and a decent size canopy after the first 1/1.5 years, I am now using the systematics. So far, I see no signs of the disease and psyllid activity has been low.

Thank you, I will definitely look into it

Yorgos

• USA, Houston, Texas USDA zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 03:34:39 PM »
I neglected it, but last summer started giving it some love :-)

Lots of flowers.  Should have a good crop to look forward to!

I am lucky to have a arteisan well, I just need to open the valve and it flows perfectly to soak the trees.
Near NRG Stadium, Houston Texas. USDA zone 9a