Author Topic: The muscadines are in  (Read 3018 times)

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
The muscadines are in
« on: August 16, 2016, 07:54:53 PM »
It's been a LONG wait (6 years)  for my vines to mature but, the wait is over! I've been eating grapes for the last week and it's been just like being a kid again gorging on Concords in my neighbor and relatives yards.

Today was the best day yet, and there's a lot more on the vines for the next week at least.

Anyone else in the South growing muscadines?

Regards,

Gary

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Re: The muscadines are in
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2016, 08:03:02 PM »
I wish! I adore muscadines, scuppernongs, and concords, but I don't have the room or knowledge to grow them.
Sometimes they show up at my farmer's market and I buy as many as I can.
I've gotten some from grocery store chains but they pale in comparison to local.

Congrats on your crop.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 03:24:01 AM »
Room? a simple trellis 5'-6' high 10'-12' in a sunny location will give you grapes.
Regards,

Gary

Soren

• Zone 12, Uganda
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2016, 06:31:58 AM »
It's been a LONG wait (6 years)  for my vines to mature but, the wait is over! I've been eating grapes for the last week and it's been just like being a kid again gorging on Concords in my neighbor and relatives yards.

Today was the best day yet, and there's a lot more on the vines for the next week at least.

Anyone else in the South growing muscadines?

Photos or it never happened :-)
Søren
Kampala, Uganda

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 10:01:59 AM »
Room? a simple trellis 5'-6' high 10'-12' in a sunny location will give you grapes.

Hmm, yeah I tend to underestimate the space I have. I might be able to squeeze something like that in. I have a postage stamp plot in an urban (small town) area.

But aren't grapes complicated to grow? You make it sound easy :)  Clearly I have never studied the first thing about viticulture.

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
I planted 3 varieties I found at lowes, gave each one a sunny 20 foot span on clothesline & didn't expect much but now its year two and already I got a taste from two varieties, carlos , & noble; still waiting on southern home. definitely not a big crop by any means but I have been able to snack on them. I was pleasantly surprised was not expecting fruit until year 3 or 4. 
Mic

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2016, 03:34:53 PM »
After just a few weeks of research, I took the plunge and have constructed a 40-foot trellis and have planted 2 varieties: Ison (black, self-fertile) and Darlene (bronze, female).

I ordered from Ison's Nursery in Georgia. I found their instructional videos, their website, and their selection to be top-notch.

I got the "2-year plus" bareroot plants. One is probably 8 feet long, the other just over 5 feet. So they are already tall enough to hit my trellis wire.

My main concern is the strength of my trellis and whether I will have to brace the end posts. I sunk 6x6's in concrete as deep as I could get them (not as deep as I wish). One 4x4 line post in the middle, also in concrete about 2 feet.

I am trying these "wire vice" thingies:
https://www.amazon.com/Anchor-Vices-Trellis-Coated-Tightening/dp/B01BMV7E7W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1482611595&sr=8-3&keywords=wire+vice+grape

i haven't actually installed the wire (9 gauge galvanized) yet - it's the last thing I have to do.