Author Topic: What caused a hole in cherimoya trunk?  (Read 1785 times)

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
What caused a hole in cherimoya trunk?
« on: May 16, 2017, 09:36:01 PM »
I picked up a Dream Cherimoya tree a few weeks ago.  It was just grafted, so I left the tape on until yesterday.  When I did, i noticed it had a small hole on the trunk under the grafting tape.  It looked like it's a small rotten spot.  There were a few small white mite-looking bugs crawling around that area.  Did I leave the tape on too long?  What caused this?  And what should I do now? 

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What caused a hole in cherimoya trunk?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:42 PM »
Atemoya
- Rob

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 10:37:20 PM »
Atemoya

I said the same thing, but the guy I bought it from, Wayne Clifton, insisted it was a Cherimoya "because there are no Atemoyas in that region of Peru"  or something to that effect.  I'm not a botanist and I don't care about the semantics.  I just have a Dream tree with a hole in it and I'm looking for some help here.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »
Atemoya

I said the same thing, but the guy I bought it from, Wayne Clifton, insisted it was a Cherimoya "because there are no Atemoyas in that region of Peru"  or something to that effect.  I'm not a botanist and I don't care about the semantics.  I just have a Dream tree with a hole in it and I'm looking for some help here.

I know but I think the consensus is Atemoya.  Euther way, doesnt change the quality of it.
- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2017, 11:51:30 PM »
That's just a sloppy graft that hasn't fully healed yet. The hole looks like an area where a branch grew but died back. Sometimes the sloppy grafts heal just fine but it looks a bit ugly. Here's a couple pics of some super sloppy cherimoya grafts I made, probably after a beer or two. Both these grafts took but they are so sloppy that it could affect the integrity of the branch carrying a heavy fruit load so I'm only using these grafts to preserve the grafted variety and will re graft it onto another branch.

Here's a much better cherimoya graft I did.

Simon

SonnyCrockett

• Charleston, SC (8b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 01:35:58 PM »
That's just a sloppy graft that hasn't fully healed yet. The hole looks like an area where a branch grew but died back. Sometimes the sloppy grafts heal just fine but it looks a bit ugly. Here's a couple pics of some super sloppy cherimoya grafts I made, probably after a beer or two. Both these grafts took but they are so sloppy that it could affect the integrity of the branch carrying a heavy fruit load so I'm only using these grafts to preserve the grafted variety and will re graft it onto another branch.

Here's a much better cherimoya graft I did.

Simon

That last graft is really nice.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2017, 02:12:35 PM »
There may be a fungal or bacterial infection also, that got into the wound.  Using a Potassium Phosphite (active ingredient) product, might keep the infection from spreading inside.
Har

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk