Author Topic: Pears in southern CA  (Read 1656 times)

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
Pears in southern CA
« on: December 27, 2021, 07:02:58 PM »
Anyone growing good pears in southern CA? 

I grew several types and they produced well but the flavor is no good.  Im looking to top work with some of the better types like

D'anju
Comice
Bartlett

These have pretty high chill ratings.  Does anyone have any of these fruiting or any other good tasting pears?

Thanks!
Brad Spaugh

JCorte

• Laguna Beach and Fallbrook, CA, zone 10b/10a
    • View Profile
Re: Pears in southern CA
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2021, 04:18:02 PM »
Hi Brad,

I’m growing Hood, Seckel, and White Doyenne.  I’m assuming you’ve already tried Hood?  Mine did not taste very good the first few years it fruited.  When I was about ready to give up on it, it produced good fruit.  I dehydrated some slightly underripe and they were excellent dried, tasted like candy but not overly sweet. I have not fruited Seckel or White Doyenne yet.  I am surprised the White Doyenne is still alive, it’s growing in complete shade, neglected and not watered in years.  I’m moving it to the farm to give it better conditions.  The Hood has proven itself worthy, effortless to grow, tastes as good as any store bought, excellent dried, blooms early, and fruits reliably.  The other two are supposed to be a couple of the best tasting but not sure if they’ll fruit for me. 

Janet

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2022, 08:39:11 PM »
Hi Brad,

I do have the Comice pear and the Bartlett pear, and anjou is not difficult to get as a friend has it.
But unfortunately I am in Europe, maybe a nurseryman friend can send them to you. I'll have to discuss it with him, but it's not certain.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2022, 09:55:34 PM »
The Pears I have are pineapple, kieffer, and hood.  Had to check the labels to see what they were.  The hood pear is the better of the 2 but still not as good as the ones from the store.  Maybe it will get better.  I found some bare root trees of some of the better tasting store fruits.  Just waiting for them to arrive.  No need to send from europe.  Thank you though.  I bet pears grown in France are amazing. 
« Last Edit: January 28, 2022, 09:59:22 PM by spaugh »
Brad Spaugh

shiro

• France La Rochelle
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2022, 10:38:54 PM »
The Pears I have are pineapple, kieffer, and hood.  Had to check the labels to see what they were.  The hood pear is the better of the 2 but still not as good as the ones from the store.  Maybe it will get better.  I found some bare root trees of some of the better tasting store fruits.  Just waiting for them to arrive.  No need to send from europe.  Thank you though.  I bet pears grown in France are amazing.

Yes, French pears are good, but you also have very good fruit growing in California.

If I can work with a nurseryman friend to get the permits, I'll offer you some as a gift. Because Comice, Williams and Conference are three pears that I offer as gifts to beginners in grafting.
So I wouldn't mind sending you some.
And if you already have some, then we'll see.

But for the moment it's an incredible wait to get the authorisations, the administration here is slow.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 04:55:01 PM »
i looked at the pear trees yesterday and they are already coming out of dormancy and starting to bloom!

Not sure if Ill actually recieve the new trees I ordered online but we will see, it was a reputable nursery.  Not sure what they are waiting for to ship. 

Regarding sending from Europe, I think its not worth the efforts honestly.  I appreciate you offering it though. 
Brad Spaugh

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 08:19:58 PM »
I have been growing the rare Passe Crassane pear. It produced two fruits, two different years. The fruits grew to a decent size, but unfortunately both times the fruits failed to fully mature to ripeness, even after being picked and sitting in storage for 2 months. (The fruits eventually dropped off if not picked) The tree might still be a little immature. Chill hours do not seem to be too much of an issue, even though this is in climate zone 10 (on the border between 10b/10a).
I have speculated that since the variety Passe Crassane is parthenocarpic, chill hours are not as much of an issue.

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 11:22:43 PM »
I am growing 3 varieties in Scottsdale,  AZ.
Seckel, Waddell Giant, and Ayers.
Seckel has fruited regularly.  Waddell Giant has not fruited yet and I just planted Ayers.  From everything I read, these have the best potential to produce good fruit with low chill.
Ayers is hard to find.  Bought mine on ebay.  As far as I know, Waddell giant is only sold at RSI nursery in glendale, AZ.  I have heard the fruit is really good.  Got flowers last spring, hoping for fruit this year.
Also, although I don't know the exact method, you are supposed to pick pears ubripe, and then store them in a cool, dry, dark area for uniform and best flavor.

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2022, 01:15:01 PM »
I got the xinjiang fragrant pear from a friend last year around this time.  It is flowering now.  I don't know it is a true one or not, when I were in his place, the shape look identical with Xinjiang pear I brought from the supermarket.

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2022, 05:14:21 PM »
Today my bareroot D'anju, Comice, and Bartlett trees showed up.  Super nice big size gauge bare roots from dave wilson.  Going to pop them in the ground later today. 
Brad Spaugh

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2023, 07:43:04 AM »
Brad, I have an old Florida plant catalogue from Chestnut Hill Nursery that lists a little known pear called Florida Bosc. The picture shows a red pear that looks very similar to a red Bartlet in shape and the description says that it needs only 150 chill hours. The description also implies that it is the highest quality low chill pear available. It seems to be really hard to find. So, I assume that means it is more fire blight susceptible than the typical low chill pears. The only place I could find that listed it on-line was in Travers City, Michigan. I thought this pear might be interesting for you to trial in So Cal if you could find it somewhere.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&opi=89978449&url=https://www.dobiaslandscaping.com/specials---bu-7172023.html&ved=2ahUKEwiM9JPt0piCAxWmVzABHf8KBXwQFnoECBAQAQ&usg=AOvVaw0R9yUQT1sybNTD4fVteAdi

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2023, 03:59:43 PM »
Brad,

I have access to two large Asian pear trees which always hold lots of fruits now. The fruits are crispy and large. If you want to graft some let me know, I can get you scionwood anytime from the trees.

I just took a brix reading on the Asian pear, it is 13, the Fuju apple has brix of 14. But the taste of the Asian pear is better to me. It has firm white flesh, very crispy, juicy and sweet. Just tasted both pear and apple for comparison, the pear is better.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 05:17:36 PM by sc4001992 »