Author Topic: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)  (Read 45097 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Re: Future's Fifth Florida Fruit Feast! (Plus Reviews)
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2015, 01:56:04 PM »
Lunch: Protein shake with Bruce Canistel followed by Sweetheart lychees, PPK, Jakarta and Philippine

Actually, I had the same shake for breakfast. The fruit, courtesy of the maitre d of fruit Harry H, was perfect for a shake.

The lychees courtesy of Bsbullie were a great warm up.  Small seeds and sweet.

Philippine was the first mango for lunch.  These small mangoes first came into my life a few years ago at Fairchild when looking for poly mangoes. The skin was unblemished and also very thin. Light yellow flesh revealed behind it is a mild aroma.  Similar to PPK but not as punchy, still not problem with this little mango.  Thin seed.

Jakarta was very nice today.  Striking colouration, great aroma, juicy and sweet.  The floral tones were in full effect. This one won lunch today.

PPK was a bit over ripe but still pretty good.  A joy to eat these little gems.

Looking ahead possibly Fairchild, PPK and Love One for dinner.

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2015, 03:59:41 PM »
Please don't stop.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2015, 04:59:31 PM »
Lunch: Protein shake with Bruce Canistel followed by Sweetheart lychees, PPK, Jakarta and Philippine

Actually, I had the same shake for breakfast. The fruit, courtesy of the maitre d of fruit Harry H, was perfect for a shake.

Philippine was the first mango for lunch.  These small mangoes first came into my life a few years ago at Fairchild when looking for poly mangoes. The skin was unblemished and also very thin. Light yellow flesh revealed behind it is a mild aroma.  Similar to PPK but not as punchy, still not problem with this little mango.  Thin seed.

Jakarta was very nice today.  Striking colouration, great aroma, juicy and sweet.  The floral tones were in full effect. This one won lunch today.

I don't see Duncan in you report?
Duncan is in the top 5 so far.....is this just me I just love the tart component
I enjoyed Montong and Fernando

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2015, 05:05:36 PM »

Duncan is in the top 5 so far.....is this just me I just love the tart component

Hey JF we missed each other by a day. I skipped the Duncan this year as I did not have a great memory of it.  With that said, I did sample it at Zills and it did taste great.  But by that time I was already overloaded with mangoes....and I still had one stop to make.  So full respect to Duncan...

As for th either two, I never heard of them.  Where did you get them?

Drop me a PM and let me know how your trip went.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »

Hey JF we missed each other by a day. I skipped the Duncan this year as I did not have a great memory of it.  With that said, I did sample it at Zills and it did taste great.  But by that time I was already overloaded with mangoes....and I still had one stop to make.  So full respect to Duncan...

As for th either two, I never heard of them.  Where did you get them?

Drop me a PM and let me know how your trip went.
Yes we just miss each other. I slowed down to 3 mangos a day I am close to being mangoes out. Montong and Fernando were from spice park. I believe they are seedlings here is a pic montong very colorful and close to sweet tard taste wise.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2015, 06:17:54 PM »
Mango fatigue can happen....so I hear.

Dinner:' Pim Seng Mun, Phillipine, PPK

These three were the most ripe of the bunch and had to go for dinner.

PSM did what she does, cause me to sit up and pay attention.  This one was clean as a whistle but the skin did not come off right giving the impression that is was paper thin.  Let no bad taste though so it was all good.  Firm mango with good flavor.

Finally a perfect PPK. Sort of. The skin seemed to be doing the same thing, this one has lots of scabby looking skin, coming off paper thin.  It was only when I ate the first half did I realize the under skin if you will was still on. Not good.
I skinned the other half with my knife and voila - perfect ripeness.  One of Harry's comrades said to him PPK tastes like orange juice concentrate.  I can see why - it is rich and sweet - but that isn't a put down for this fine mango.  Top tier.

Philippine - skin ultra clean on this small mango.  More fruity a light vs PPK.  Good eating.

I promise others are coming but right now I am prioritizing by what is ripe....the others will come...

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2015, 10:34:25 AM »
Oh wow.  Those were the words that popped into my head after the first bite at breakfast this morning.

Breakfast: PPK, Sia Tong, Taralay

My PPKs are coming fast and furious so I added one to my protein shake this morning.  The shake was great.  Returning to the remaining flesh on the seed - oh wow - came to mind.  This was the perfect PPK - fully ripe, skin turned slightly darker, immaculate skin condition, rich intense flavor.  Chomped on the seed good.  I was reminded last year by my daughter how table manners go out the window when I am eating mangoes.  Slurping and finger licking are allowed. A perfectly ripe PPK will do that to you.

Sia Tong: this gift from Harry is also called Sia tong nam doc.  It is a largish SE Asia variety very similar to nam doc Mai. I let this one go to far so it had spots outside and on the surface inside.  Jelly formed in parts, yet the experience was still quite good.  The range of tastes within the same fruit was interesting.  Some parts were just like nam doc, others tasted like chemical, others fruity.  In all, an interesting mango.  Great amount of flesh to seed ratio.

Taralay: today's Taralay seemed average gate the PPK experience. Still silky smooth melt in hire mouth but I perhaps should have eaten in first.  Subtle rather than attention grabbing like PPK.  Still on any day a Taralay will work fine for me.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2015, 10:39:37 AM »
Oh wow.  Those were the words that popped into my head after the first bite at breakfast this morning.

Breakfast: PPK, Sia Tong, Taralay

My PPKs are coming fast and furious so I added one to my protein shake this morning.  The shake was great.  Returning to the remaining flesh on the seed - oh wow - came to mind.  This was the perfect PPK - fully ripe, skin turned slightly darker, immaculate skin condition, rich intense flavor.  Chomped on the seed good.  I was reminded last year by my daughter how table manners go out the window when I am eating mangoes.  Slurping and finger licking are allowed. A perfectly ripe PPK will do that to you.

Sia Tong: this gift from Harry is also called Sia tong nam doc.  It is a largish SE Asia variety very similar to nam doc Mai. I let this one go to far so it had spots outside and on the surface inside.  Jelly formed in parts, yet the experience was still quite good.  The range of tastes within the same fruit was interesting.  Some parts were just like nam doc, others tasted like chemical, others fruity.  In all, an interesting mango.  Great amount of flesh to seed ratio.

Taralay: today's Taralay seemed average gate the PPK experience. Still silky smooth melt in hire mouth but I perhaps should have eaten in first.  Subtle rather than attention grabbing like PPK.  Still on any day a Taralay will work fine for me.

Siatong, or Sia Thong, is actually a Nam Doc Mai.  There are a number of Nam Doc Mais, including but not limited to Siatong, Mun and #4.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2015, 07:13:53 PM »
I took a picture of the Sia Tong Nam Doc next to the other Nam docs. Will post it.

Lunch: Dot, PPK, Thai Everbearing, Nam Doc Mai

Nam Doc Mai was ready to do.  I know I've been spoiled by fiberless mangoes when I notice fibers in NDM. Beyond this, it just tasted plain next to the others.  Nothing against it and I am sure in isolation I would enjoy it.  But today i have to say it was a warm up act.  Thin seed is always a bonus.

Thai Everbearing - very small mango.  Harry shared a funny story - well funny to me - about these ones being labelled for sale at 50 cents and the self policing shoppers "assuming" all mangoes on the stand were 50 cents each.  I digress.  So this little mango actually tastes pretty good there just isn't much of it.  Pretty big seed for a small mango.  If I lived in a country where is could. In fact Everbear, it would be nice to have, for the offseason.

Dot stole the show at lunch today.  This mango has it all.  On the large side, colorful, rich and sweet.  Last year Dot was a consistent winner among connoisseurs and newbies alike in the tastings I attended.  At lunch I was reminded as to why.  A musky rich taste with floral notes to boot.  Smooth.  This is a great mango and has earned a place in my top 10.

PPK: not as rich as the one I had for breakfast but nonetheless a good experience.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2015, 07:21:02 PM »
Dinner: Val Carrie, Fairchild

Wow!  I don't think I have had Val Carrie before.  This one seems to be firm when ripe.  Mine had a significant soft and blackening spot so I took the plunge and ate it.  Fairly thick skin, or perhaps not thin is more accurate, made peeling easy. And the taste!  Cutting off the spoiled portion left me with an edible cola soda.  It tasted like a carbonated dream. Chomp on the seed and like your fingers good.  I have two other VCs, in pristine shape and if this holds...I might need to shuffle my top 10.

Fairchild: a very nice mango, unfair to judge following the VC. What is not to enjoy about it?  Worthy of the Fairchild name.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2015, 10:37:02 AM »
Good morning mango lovers.

Breakfast: Coconut Cream, Love One, Nam Doc Sia Tong, Keow Savoey

The ripened stage has caught up and passed me now.  While I still have a good bit of fruit not yet ripe, there is more ripe than I can eat right now.  Selections that I have not sampled will have to take priority and some more sharing and preserving (freezing) the rest will have to happen.

This morning's theme was spoiled outside, unspoiled inside. 

Love One, a selection from Bendersgrove, was first up today.  My other one had spoiled on the inside in a way I have never seen - it was almost white - and this one had black spots in places.  On the inside it was fine.  I dropped half it into the protein shake and ate the other half.  It has a great aroma, straight from the first cut.  The carbonated soda effect was also in play here, though not as strong as a Val Carrie.  A bit of a turpentine taste but nothing offensive.  An interesting mango.

CC was at least halfway spoiled on the skin all around.  The top was visibly soft and compromised.  Interested having still managed o peel the skin, the inside was fine.  This mango was a juice factory with the process of preparing getting mango juice everywhere.  On eating this one seemed muted, relative to my espectiations. It reminded me of ice cream mango, and the potential was there.  Even as it, this was better than most.  I have a few more so reserve comments for them.

Nia Tong was in much better shape than the prior one, although it still had some minor infernal spoilage and jelly seed.  Except the form is slightly different, this is just like the more common NDM.

Keow Savoey is one of the eaten when green mangoes.  I wanted to see what it was like ripe.  It was still green and blackening on the outside today but was again fine on the inside.  "Nothing remarkable" were the apt words Harry H used when I asked what it tastes like ripe.  Eaten green, which we enjoyed at his home, it is a crunchy and sweet mango experience, similar too but not as impressive as Khun See.
Keow Savoey

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2015, 02:43:45 PM »
Lunch: Seacrest, Dupuis Saigon, Guava

This is my first sampling of these 3 kings this year.

Seacrest is the kind of mango that turns people into mango snobs.  I have several good sized ones with pristine skin condition.  This one had started to develop black spots so came to the front of the list.  Skin was thick enough to stay together on peeling and first thing noticed is how beautiful the orangey mango in side is.  Next thing in quick succession is the scent...heavenly.  Then to eating and it gets even better.  Sweet, fruity, silky smooth and...what else can I say.  Even after this barrage of mango varieties, Seacrest stands out among its peers.  Is it the all star MVP?  Too early to tell but top 10 - no doubt.

Dupuis is another stand out selection.  Chris from Truly Tropical grows over 50 varieties and puts it in her top 4. Zills supplied me this year with some that are bigger than I've had before and again, very clean on the outside.   Delectable on the inside.  Juicy mango that is just easy to eat.  Not as distinct as Seacrest but very good in its own right.

I intended to each a Pickering but these too were so large I couldn't. I chose a smallish guava mango instead and boy, is this a gem.  More of a round mango with a beak, small seed leaves lots to eat.  Fiber free, great smell and offers up no resistance to being devoured.  Guava mango is juice almost got to my elbows good.

Will pickup with Pickering and a few others for dinner.

strkpr00

• USA, Florida, Davie zone10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2015, 09:50:41 PM »
Love One, a selection from Bendersgrove, I picked up a couple and I dont think there is a more fragrant mango out there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2015, 07:12:00 AM »
And so it continues.  Yesterday I arrived in Miami and immediately connected with Sleepdoc.  He has an amazing place - jackfruit, chempedak, cheetah, mangoes, breadfruit, lychees, soursop and more.  The mangoes we're going ballistic - Coconut Cream, Angie, Carrie, Fairchild, Lemon Zest, PPK, Ice Cream, Khun See to name a few.  A start to a trip doesn't get better than this.

Next I visited Bendersgrove.  Picked up a few Nam Docs, Ivory, PPKs and his "Love One" selection.

Up the street, met up with the standard bearer or yard excellence, the curve we grade on around here, Harry Hausman.  We munched on a good set of fruits - Cushman, Carrie, PPK, Springfels, Keow Savoey, Thai Everbearing, Edward, Bombay - from memory (there were more).

Edward and PPK carried the day at Harry's.  Bombay was also pretty good. We also drove the yard and noted his vast array of selections, with fresh fruit dropping, perhaps after the heavy rains that greeted me as I arrived.  Picked up some Sia Tong, Ping Seng Mun among others. 

Next up, Zills.  Rob worked his magic and I secured an all star box of mangoes.  Taralay, Seacrest, Dupuis Saigon, Guava, Okrung, Pickering, Edgar, Edward, Fruit Punch , Val Carrie and Coconut Cream.  Try and find a loser in there, if you dare. Sweetheart lychee topped it off.  The boxes full of Pickering was something to see.

Last, but by no means least Chris at Truly Tropical was, as always, a great host.  Her mangoes are popping left right and centre with boxes and boxes of PPKs, Haden's, Choc Anon, Glen, Bailey's Marvel, Pram Kai Mea, Jakarta, Zill, Cushman, Dot, Fairchild and Nam Doc Mai's.

For those wanting pictures...I took some...I might post them...I might not.  Doing so would be a sort of confession...

Isn't it really dangerous roaming around with a wild animal on the loose? Weren't you afraid the cheetah would attack you? I've heard they're very fast, so running away won't do you much good! OH, wait....maybe you meant the fruit cheenah?  ;)
Oscar

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2015, 08:02:29 AM »
Oscar - funny you mention this...Iwas walking a path and out of nowhere appears this cheena.  It just had that still look like it was part of the tree it was near.  Well, I started to go about my way hoping it was not aware of me but like any wild animal,  they have a way of making a surprise attack.  And then, it lunged at me and went for my neck..if it were not for the stem that was actually holding to the tree li I e a steel cable collar, the gust of wind would have caused me to be sent to the hospital, mamed by an Autocarpus.
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2015, 09:09:22 AM »
Thanks for the comic relief. Blame the auto spell check.

Yesterday's Dinner: Pickering, Choc Anon
Choc Anon had hints of Ping Seng Mun type qualities but not nearly as strong.  Will this mango win a tasting contest?  Up again Tommy Atkins, yes.  While there isn't anything offensive about it, is is fairly tame by connoisseur standards.  I have found them to last quite well at room temperature and be good even after the skin is mostly blackened. A decent little mango with pineapplish hints.  They grow on me the more I eat them.

Pickering: what can I say.  I very much enjoyed this fruit.  It has a balance of sweet, smooth, fruitiness and aroma that is hard to beat.  I actually had to take three whiffs of it before I bit in to it to be sure my nose did not deceive me.  I have no idea how it got such an unsexy name but perhaps someone can fill me in.  A beautiful mango to look at.  Even better to eat.  Just make sure you let it ripe fully.

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2015, 09:12:53 AM »
I have no idea how it got such an unsexy name but perhaps someone can fill me in.  A beautiful mango to look at.  Even better to eat.  Just make sure you let it ripe fully.

Walter Zill named it after some mango eater named Wayne Pickering.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2015, 09:31:51 AM »
I have no idea how it got such an unsexy name but perhaps someone can fill me in.  A beautiful mango to look at.  Even better to eat.  Just make sure you let it ripe fully.

Wayne Pickering (Pickering mango named for him) is on the internet with videos and website. He is about 60 and is a big time health nut...in a good way. He looks to be in very good physical condition. He is long time friends with the Zill family.

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2015, 09:36:14 AM »
sounds like a good time!! thread just needs pics!! ;)

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2015, 09:40:04 AM »
MANGO VARIETY PICKERING
By Walter Zill

"Beginning as a chance seedling sprouting in the grove planted by Laurence Zill in Boynton Beach, FL, it first caught my attention about 1980 when I saw about a half dozen fruit being supported by an unusually small plant having a trunk diameter of about one inch, with at total height about four feet, and numerous branches that bore small fruit.  The fruit were not impressive in any other way other than exisitng in abundance on such a tiny first fruiting seedling.  They turned bright yellow when ripe, and were suprisingly firm.  The flavor tasted to me somewhat like Carrie or Julie, and the growth habit known as Sophie Frey.  Animal habits being what they are, I surmise that a seed got transplanted some few feet west of a large fruiting Carrie tree where it germinated in the undercover beneath the limbs of an Irwin tree.  In 1983 a severe freeze caused great damage in the grove, killing back some mango limbs that were up to three inches in diameter, and resulting in nearly every mango leaf on the premises turning brown.  That exception, finding green leaves on that little seedling, caught my undivided attention.  I thought perhaps the plant had more resistance to cold than other mango varieties, but subsequnet seasons have shown damage much like other mangos when the temperature dips below freezing.  Eventually the seedling was transplanted  to where it could demonstrate it qualities.  It grew compactly and fruited heavily, fruit clinging  fairly well on the tree when ripe, with little bruising when they dropped.  When the tree grew larger, and in a season when fewer fruit set, the fruit weighed up to about two pounds, though average normal season weight is near one pound.  There came a time when Dr. Wayne Pickering inquired of me about having a mango named for him.  Since that variety had proven of sufficient worth to merit a good name, I sent a box of fruit from it to him to get his reaction.  When they ripened, and he had fairly sampled them, his response was, "That's my baby!".  So the name "Pickering" stuck.  When fully ripe it's among the sweetest mangos, with a texture sutable for slicing and dicing, and it's fine fibers providing desrable bulk.  As trees were multiplied and put into commercial plantings, it has provem very productive from compact trees.  Many who have become familiar with eating the "Pickering" often specify it for the eating qualities they like. It matures relatively early in mango season."
- Rob

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 09:49:18 AM »

Wayne Pickering (Pickering mango named for him) is on the internet with videos and website. He is about 60 and is a big time health nut...in a good way. He looks to be in very good physical condition. He is long time friends with the Zill family.

Calm down there big guy  ;) :o :P  hahahahahahaha
- Rob

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 12, 2015, 09:55:37 AM »
sounds like a good time!! thread just needs pics!! ;)

Ok I concede and will start loading some pictures.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2015, 10:02:41 AM »
Breakfast: Okrung, Fruit Punch, Angie

Okrung: could this be the sweetest mango in the world?  Possibly.  Small, past its prime, I put most of this in my homemade almond milk protein shake. Tiny fruits with decent taste and can get mega sweet.

Angie was starting to get black skin on the stem end so her time had come.  Perfect on the inside.  A large mango with ample amounts to eat.  Thick firm flesh, deep orange, subtle but good aroma.  I only managed to eat half of this mango not for lack of good flavour but saving room for the monstrous Fruit Punch next to it.  I'm vegan and have no beef with Angie.

FP lacked the punch this time...well the fruit actually.  I had high expectations based on last year but this FP didn't hit me this year.  It wasn't bad but it wasn't....fruit punch. Too early in the year?  I dunno.  I have 2 more to taste and see if I can get to them.  With my trip winding down this weekend, the freezing of mango slices starts today.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2015, 10:15:09 AM »
Wayne could throttle you with his little finger.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2015, 10:48:34 AM »
Wayne could throttle you with his little finger.

So you speak for this man now....do I sense a man crush??
- Rob