Author Topic: Purple Passion Fruit pollination  (Read 1849 times)

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
Purple Passion Fruit pollination
« on: April 17, 2015, 04:09:33 PM »
So here is one of my purple passion fruit vines blooming and fruiting. It was grown from grocery store seeds (2 or 3 years ago). I thought these guys needed cross pollination. The only other passion vine I have near it is a hybrid grown for its flowers not its fruit - P. incarnata crossed with P. coccinea. They both spent the winter in the greenhouse. So my question is - can P. edulis pollinate itself? or does it need an unrelated pollinator?

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Purple Passion Fruit pollination
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 05:25:21 PM »
All the P. edulis varieties around here seem to be capable of self-pollination.  Sometimes I give the bees a hand and do some of the pollination work, though -- they don't seem too excited by the passion flowers.  (However I do often see wasps getting nectar from some parts of the stems -- at least I think that's what's going on.)

SocalKoop

• United States, California, Lake Forest 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 06:14:09 PM »
I recommend hand pollination for a larger crop, the effective pollinators tend to be those large carpentar bees that live in dead wood. The smaller more common honey bees just dont seem to do the job. I had mediocre crops until i got fed up and started doing it myself.
"Failing to prepare is preparing for failure." -Benjamin Franklin

geosulcata

• SW FL
    • View Profile
    • Sulcata Grove
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2015, 07:19:07 PM »
Our first Passiflora edulis vine produced hundreds of fruits without a second vine and without hand pollination. The bees do a great job pollinating.

Fruit dropped in a single day. The vine produced well for 2.5 years. After that, we replanted.