Author Topic: :( Cushman and Rosigold... also prone to splitting  (Read 2587 times)

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
:( Cushman and Rosigold... also prone to splitting
« on: July 04, 2013, 11:31:24 AM »
Both 7gal trees are less 1.5 to 2 yrs inground. Rosi flowered twice this season and held 3 mature fruit total. Two split. Cushman flowered once and held 2 mature fruit. Found the last one split this morning. It was fine yesterday. lol. Members with experience with these cvs., is this a common thing? Was soo looking foward to tasting these of of my tree.  :( .
The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
Re: :( Cushman and Rosigold... also prone to splitting
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 12:44:02 PM »
Both 7gal trees are less 1.5 to 2 yrs inground. Rosi flowered twice this season and held 3 mature fruit total. Two split. Cushman flowered once and held 2 mature fruit. Found the last one split this morning. It was fine yesterday. lol. Members with experience with these cvs., is this a common thing? Was soo looking foward to tasting these of of my tree.  :( .

Rosigold has much more of a splitting problem than Cushman.  I haven't had any issue with Cushman. However, given the right set of circumstances, any mango is liable to split on the tree if the right conditions exist.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

phantomcrab

• USA, St. Petersburg, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 02:10:46 PM »
I haven't noticed a splitting problem with either variety grown in my area. I have noticed that Rosigold can have some internal breakdown though.
Richard

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 11:59:50 PM »
I planted a 3 gal Rosigold last year and it bore three fruit this year, none split.  I fertilize a lot.  Perhaps the 7 gal have root bound problems?
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

TnTrobbie

• runs with pruners
  • ZonePusher has a spot for that.
    • 10b + 9b FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 02:39:06 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys :) . At plantings I break up and spread out the roots from the potting soil. I read that a fruit tree can be considered to be "well established" after planting when it pushes out 3-4 growth flushes. Both Rosi and Cushman have exceeded this so I don't think its a root bound problem. No supplemental Nitrogen. Just mulch, 0-0-51, foilar sprays with Fe and the occasional soil drench if needed.

Found this thread on mango splitting that Phantomcarb posted some email responses from Dr. Campbell, Dr. Crane and Mr Collins
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5107.msg69623#msg69623
Hopefully it will help others.

After reading the info, I am guilt of inconsistent watering. I water my trees lightly when they are pushing out flushes as (I've find) the leaves and new branches get established much much faster. This could very well be the culprit as they both had mature fruit on them as well as flushes. Gonna stop watering the mallika, fernandin and Neelam now :D .

The Earth laughs in flowers. And bear gifts through fruits.
No where to plant it ...but at least I got it. ;)
F*ck squirrels and deers