Author Topic: Jehangir mango  (Read 20324 times)

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Jehangir mango
« on: April 18, 2012, 09:21:58 PM »
Has anybody had success growing this mango in Florida or SoCal? It's an Indian cultivar reported to be of exceptional quality and having a dwarf stature.
Jeff  :-)

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
Re: Jehangir mango
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:36:28 PM »
I know Zill has been propagating it. Supposed to be a poor producer in Florida.

I'm always skeptical of the performance of mangoes introduced from India here.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 09:48:02 PM »
I believe I tried it at Smather's place (Four Fillies farm)  years ago.  I think Crafton said it was introduced to Florida by Frank Smathers.  It was green skinned and almost white fleshed and wasn't very good.  Had some resinous flavor and not overly sweet.  It didn't have fiber but the flesh was firm. It was totally green on the outside.  Now that I look at the Fairchild book, it is rated Fair to Good (on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale).  That's the same as Tommy Atkins.  I don't rememer the tree as being any different in size than the rest of the trees there.  But, I am sure they were all well pruned. I think "exceptional quality" might not apply to this cultivar. Of course, the fruit I had might have been an aberation, but Crafton didn;t say that it was when we tried it.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 10:12:19 PM »
I believe I tried it at Smather's place (Four Fillies farm)  years ago.  I think Crafton said it was introduced to Florida by Frank Smathers.  It was green skinned and almost white fleshed and wasn't very good.  Had some resinous flavor and not overly sweet.  It didn't have fiber but the flesh was firm. It was totally green on the outside.  Now that I look at the Fairchild book, it is rated Fair to Good (on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale).  That's the same as Tommy Atkins.  I don't rememer the tree as being any different in size than the rest of the trees there.  But, I am sure they were all well pruned. I think "exceptional quality" might not apply to this cultivar. Of course, the fruit I had might have been an aberation, but Crafton didn;t say that it was when we tried it.

Harry

This is one of the problems that a lot of the direct introductions from India have had here. While they may be much acclaimed in India, their flavor is often very different here grown in our soil. Alphonso is the poster-child for this but a number of other Indian cultivars have experienced this problem too. On top of that they usually have issues with disease and production as well.

Mallika is one cultivar that has been able to buck this trend. Baneshan too.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 11:01:40 PM by Squam256 »

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 11:11:54 PM »
The other issue is that there are various sub-classes of the Indian mangoes. Each area of India will have their own version of the cultivar (eg, Langra vs Langra Benarsi, Kesar vs Jumbo Kesar, etc).

The Jehangir tree that I saw at Fairchild Farm had an obvious dwarf habit. The fruit is also supposed to be yellow (not green).

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 11:20:25 PM »
It's funny that you mentioned this mango because I stopped by Excalibur today and noticed they had it for sale. I think they just got it recently because I've never noticed it before. I may go back this weekend and buy one now.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 11:25:53 PM »
What does Richard say about the Jehangir?

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 11:41:40 PM »
Didn't get a chance to ask Richard but I was told it was white fleshed. From Harry's description of it being resinous and you mentioning it's dwarf, it sounds like an excellent tree. I like the stronger 'spicy' flavored mangos and I think a white fleshed one would be cool to have.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Interesting. The mango book says, "Developed in Kodur, the hybrid 'Swarnajehangir', combining the high quality of 'Jehangir' and the attractive colour of 'Chinnaswarnarkha'..." 

Now that I look at the Fairchild book, it is rated Fair to Good (on the Excellent, Good, Fair, Poor scale).  That's the same as Tommy Atkins.
Harry

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 11:57:26 PM »
OK. That sounds similar to Allampur Baneshan.

Didn't get a chance to ask Richard but I was told it was white fleshed. From Harry's description of it being resinous and you mentioning it's dwarf, it sounds like an excellent tree. I like the stronger 'spicy' flavored mangos and I think a white fleshed one would be cool to have.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:17:17 AM »

Harry

Glad you tried it Harry.  Thanks for the info.
Adiel

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
Murahilin, do you think we can start a thread that people here can add varieties of Mangoes that have a "dwarf" or small growing habit? It would be great to have a thread that we can refer to for people looking to either Plant one in a Container or just want to plant a "smaller" size mango in the yard.

With SO many different ones coming out all the time...its hard to keep up. Would be great to have a list we can refer to.

Thanks!!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 11:43:08 AM »
Anybody know what 'Pasand' means? I guess there is also a Jahangir Pasand cultivar :-).

As for the dwarf trees, the list of commonly propagated dwarf trees is pretty small (Julie, Ice Cream, Pickering, maybe a couple others). The term 'condo mango' doesn't necessarily indicate that a tree has a natural dwarf stature. Rather, it means that the tree is 'manageable' through pruning. So, a 'condo mango' can be easily pruned to keep small and will stay reasonably productive in that state.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 11:58:05 AM »
hehe google skills pay off. I found this about the Jehangir:

"Fibreless fruit can be eaten in unripe form while still green as they lack acidity. Big in size, the fruit weighs about 600 gms. The tree has regular, heavy cluster bearing habit, however growth is not vigorous."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/District_Agricultural_Farm,_Taliparamba#Jahangir

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 12:15:14 PM »
Anybody know what 'Pasand' means? I guess there is also a Jahangir Pasand cultivar :-).

Don't have any idea what it menas but I have a Imam Pasand that I grafted from material obtained through the RFVC.  It hasn't fruited as of yet.  Supposedly an excellent Indian sub-continent mango.  I am assuming it might be of Pakistani origin as Imam, I believe, refers to a religious leader in the Islamic religion. So, might be a name of a particular Imam or who knows what else.
Harry
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 01:59:49 PM by HMHausman »
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2012, 12:26:33 PM »
OK. I guess there's also a Chotta Jahangir :-).

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2012, 01:36:29 PM »
Don't have any idea what it menas but I have a Imam Pasand that I grafted from material obtained through the RFVC.  It hasn't fruited as of yet.  Supposedly an excellent Indian sub-continent mango.  I am assuming it might be of Pakistani origin as Imam, I believe, refers to a religious leader in the Islmaic religion. So, might be a name of a particular Imam or who knows what else.

Harry

Since India and Pakistan have about the same population of muslims I don't know if the fact that it has imam in the name would help differentiate its origin.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff  :)

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 01:46:42 PM »

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 02:11:53 PM »
Since India and Pakistan have about the same population of muslims I don't know if the fact that it has imam in the name would help differentiate its origin.

Would have never thought that to be true.  I thought they mostly left many years ago when Pakistan and Bangladesh were formed.  You live and learn.  This obviously makes my assumption rather worthless.  Thanks.

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 02:19:30 PM »
For a while India actually had more Muslims than Pakistan but recently Pakistan has surpassed India 178 million to 177 million.

MangoMan2

• East Central Brevard County. 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 02:20:47 PM »
Has anybody had success growing this mango in Florida or SoCal? It's an Indian cultivar reported to be of exceptional quality and having a dwarf stature.

Jeff,

Have you ever thought of a Amarapali Mango?  It is a new variety from Indian and is Dwarf and is a cross from Dashehari and Neelam.

Very good eating mango!!

Joe.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 03:37:19 PM »
BTW, another recent planting which I think I got through Jeff is the Indian culitvar Kesar.  While the tree is tiny it bloomed and set a few fruits without any spraying. The fruits look perfect so far with no anthracnose whatsoever.  So this may be a more fruitful and resistant Indian culitvar here. I am hoping anyway.  Alphonso is a bust so far at my house.  Langra Beanrsi is in suspended animation....no growth to speak of and a terrible problem with scale and sooty mold.  Alanpur Baneshan grows well, fruits well, but the fruit tend to crack before full maturity.  Neelam and Mallika do great.  Although both have lighter crops this year than in any other year I have expereinced. FYI

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
Nope....never heard of it....but my Alphonso so far seems to be a champ!  A billion
babies and fast growth - hope the flavour follows along......

MFang

happyisland

• all mangoes, all the time!
    • Aruba, Mon Plaisir, Zone 14a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 04:18:22 PM »

This is one of the problems that a lot of the direct introductions from India have had here. While they may be much acclaimed in India, their flavor is often very different here grown in our soil. Alphonso is the poster-child for this but a number of other Indian cultivars have experienced this problem too. On top of that they usually have issues with disease and production as well.

Mallika is one cultivar that has been able to buck this trend. Baneshan too.

Oh no! I've got a big, healthy Alphonso in my back yard that still has not fruited! Is there some reason to think that when it finally produces that the fruit might be sub-par. The descriptions of it online are totally delicious-sounding...