Author Topic: R2E2  (Read 12223 times)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: R2E2
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 03:06:22 AM »
People here are similarly brain stuck on Hayden, also grown here for a very long time. But Hayden is in no way superior to many other mangos that can be grown here. My suspicion is the same is the case for KP.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: R2E2
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2012, 02:01:17 AM »
Kent is a is a very respectable mango in regards to taste. It is very sweet and has a full mango taste, and is one of the better late varieties. It may look ugly as most times it has no color but just a dull green, but it tastes awesome. Keitt not as good in my opinion but definitely not a trashy mango either. Never eaten a Palmer or Brooks so can't say anything about those. Haden definitely a trashy mango. Lots of fiber.

Brooks, called Brook's Late, is also not a trashy mango. Well liked here because has high anthracnose resistance and is very late in season. I agree that Haden is  fibrous, but it's taste is also definitely not trashy. Definitely would not throw any of them in the trash! King of trashy mango in my opinion is the #1 commercial variety on the planet: Tommy Atkins. Isn't it ironic that the worst makes it to the top? Is it like in corporations where the worst workers become the CEO's? ::)
Oscar