Author Topic: Soursop seedling new growth droopy/wilting/folding?  (Read 759 times)

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
Soursop seedling new growth droopy/wilting/folding?
« on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »
I'm in the Mediterranean and temps these days are in the 70 day/50 night. First time I grow a soursop seedling, and this will be its first winter so I have been checking on it multiple times a day :)

I was wondering if you guys can guess from these photos, the reason why the newest growth doesn't seem as healthy as the older. So the leaf in question feels very tender and seems like it will be wilted and dry in the near future. I have been feeding the tree moderately, it's not hungry in any way. If anything could it be overfeeding?

Or could it be the cold? Drought?  I'm mostly concerned by the left leaf, not the little tiny one as I think they all start like that right one when very young.

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Soursop seedling new growth droopy/wilting/folding?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 06:51:44 AM »
I am not an expert on sour sop, but since no one else has answered your question, I will tell you what I know. They DO NOT LIKE COLD. We grew some seedlings exactly like what you have a few years ago because the seeds were give to us by an Indonesian friend. They experienced leaf burn from weather in the 40s. The symptoms looked exactly like frost damage, but we never had a frost. It was just from the cold and dry wind. A light frost (mid to upper 30s) defoliated an 8' tall tree in our neighborhood. Based on that I would not be surprised if prolonged weather in the 50s made your plant unhappy. Maybe you could bring it in at night until it gets bigger. Remarkably, one of those seedlings I mentioned did end up fruiting last year outside in a 7 gal pot!   ???

Galatians522

• Florida 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:56:54 AM »
*correction it is in a 15 gal pot.

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 01:14:35 PM »
The mulch is probably too close to the trunk.  There may be fungus started on the trunk below the mulch.
Har

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:17:07 PM »
Remarkably, one of those seedlings I mentioned did end up fruiting last year outside in a 7 gal pot!   ???

Wow, that's awesome! Thank you so much, sounds like I'm gonna get busy this winter watching the plant.

mangoba

• US - Mediterranean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 06:18:11 PM »
The mulch is probably too close to the trunk.  There may be fungus started on the trunk below the mulch.

Your attention to detail is very remarkable, thank you.