Author Topic: LILIKOI Passion Fruit  (Read 1832 times)

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
LILIKOI Passion Fruit
« on: January 23, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »
Does anyone have one of these?

I need another one to cross polinate to set fruit.

Rtreid

• Zone 10a Sunset zone 24
  • Zone 10a, Sunset 24, CA
    • View Profile
Re: LILIKOI Passion Fruit
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 12:38:42 PM »
You might want to try Ben Porier, he used to have them, but I do not know if he still does.

Richard

kgknight

• southeast florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 03:41:08 PM »
Try trade winds fruit, they probably have seeds.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »
I thought you needed another P. edulis like the purple fruited ones to cross with Lilikoi P. edulis flavicarpa in order to get fruit. That Lilikoi won't pollinate Lilikoi. At least that's what I was told.

I have one, but I'm in North Carolina so I don't think I will be of much help. Mine blooms in the fall.

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »
I ordered 30 seeds out of hawaii and got 40 in the mail. All of them germinated and some are already six foot tall. I need to cut them back to get multiple trunks. I have been giving them away all over Central Florida.

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 06:28:48 PM »
I ordered 30 seeds out of hawaii and got 40 in the mail. All of them germinated and some are already six foot tall. I need to cut them back to get multiple trunks. I have been giving them away all over Central Florida.
OJ, all you need to do, is give NGT some cuttings, they are very easy to root from cutting. After you cut, apply rooting hormones(gel/powder/ liquid solution) at the tip end and place in some kind of soil medium, over bottom heat. They should root out anywhere from 2-3 weeks to a couple of months.

I tired with a broken p. edulis(purple) vine, the dog broke, w/o any rooting hormones applied and still got a very high chance of success 7/10 rooted.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 06:22:06 AM »
I thought you needed another P. edulis like the purple fruited ones to cross with Lilikoi P. edulis flavicarpa in order to get fruit. That Lilikoi won't pollinate Lilikoi. At least that's what I was told.

I have one, but I'm in North Carolina so I don't think I will be of much help. Mine blooms in the fall.

Edulis and flavicarpa will hybridize, but it's not true that you need one of these to cross pollinate with the other in order to get fruit.
Oscar

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 07:29:56 AM »
Most edulis are self fertile and don't need to outcross to another vine. Edulis x flavicarpa are usually self fertile but not always. Improved yellow, red and purple flavicarpas are mostly self fertile, but not all varieties especially older types.Hand pollination for varieties considered not self fertile allows some fruit set. Flavicarpas always set more fruit with 2 or more vines and these can be edulis as well.
A bit of manganese and zinc micros and potash can help fruit production and a different fertilizer brew can increase sweetness.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk