Author Topic: Late Mango Bloom  (Read 4665 times)

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Late Mango Bloom
« on: April 03, 2014, 08:26:35 PM »
I was very pleasantly surprised when walking my yard to see that several mango trees are pushing fresh blooms so late in the season, now April 3. My Sunrise mango tree that I had given up on for the year has just started pushing out bloom. The Tong Bi Con tree is now in full bloom. The larger VP tree just started its bloom a week or two ago, yet not even 100 feet away my smaller VP tree is long done blooming and is now holding many peanut size fruit? The Carrie tree is sending out fresh blooms where ever the prior ones did not set fruit, so it has a few golf ball size fruit, more marble size fruit and now new blooms. The Rosigold has mature fruit on it and is still putting out new bloom with everything in between. All of my other trees bloomed at the normal time in January, February and March. We just started eating ripe Rosigold fruit this week, I'm hoping for a long extended mango season.   

Anyone else having very late blooms on their mango trees, what varieties?         

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
Re: Late Mango Bloom
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2014, 08:38:38 PM »
My 7g Carrie tree from TT came with all panicles pruned off...and it apparently had tons of them...multiple panicles on single branches even...well it seems like my Carrie has wasted no time in growing....its already sending out ether panicles or new growth all over.....I've only had this tree for 2 weeks shipped to CA.
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

OrganicJim

• USA, Sanford, FLorida, 32771, 9b
    • View Profile
    • TurfPro USA
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2014, 08:42:14 PM »
My Pickering had a very exstensive bloom in Jan. and Feb. but set very few fruit with the coninuous cool weather limiting polinators. It has just started another major Bloom cycle.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 11:32:24 PM »
My Nam Doc Mai is flowering right now and my Mallika is just behind it with some panicles and a few flowers opening now.  Sprayed some Captan on both trees today

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2014, 11:55:09 PM »
Why Captan?
- Rob

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 09:29:40 AM »
That's great news you guys...looks like a long extended mango season for many of you. I had a few late blooms, but mostly around March.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
are late blooms characteristic of certain cultivars, or more about climate (being cooler than South FL)?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2014, 10:02:00 AM »
Did some research and found out that Captan sprayed every couple weeks until fruit set followed by copper monthly  does a good job of controlling anthracnose.

http://fshs.org/proceedings-o/1973-vol-86/326-327%20(McMILLAN).pdf

I know the article is old but haven't seen anything to dispute it.  If anyone knows different then please let me know.  Im all for sharing ideas and also learning from others

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »
I believe Nam Doc Mai blooms more than once during the season so you can get multiple crops

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2014, 10:17:38 AM »
I would not use Captain and would not be spraying every two weeks in any event.  I would use copper for anthracnose or sulphur for powdery mildew,  if needed or at the onset of blooms, beginning of fruit set or after rains.  If you wanted to go with something a little less "harsh", you could use Plant Doctor by Organocide.  You will probably hear or can read that some people do not like of believe one should use copper or sulphur.

But going back to my earlier post, dont focus on the blooms with your tree at this age.  Fertilize it, allow it to grow and mature some and Fuchs on the future.  This way your spraying would be much less or not needed at all.  NDM is not one that is susceptible to anthracnose.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 05:48:11 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
there is a post by murahilin, I think....it's called: dangers of spraying copper fungicide (and used to be stickied in the green section at the top a few weeks/months ago.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2014, 12:05:19 PM »
are late blooms characteristic of certain cultivars, or more about climate (being cooler than South FL)?

Carrie is known for this and happened to me last year. Julie maybe.....  I drive past a certain Julie a lot and see multiple blooms on it this year. It has new panicles and many 1.5 inch fruits.

Last year too on that Julie IIRC.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2014, 05:27:26 PM »

Gunnar - I'm in South Florida, about 15 miles west of you, right off Griffin Road.

I have noticed in past years that my Carrie tree will have blooms in succession, one after the other until the tree sets a decent amount of fruit but I don't remember them quite this late in the year. This is the Sunrise's first time blooming, I planted it last spring as a large 3 gallon. The TBC bloomed last year in mid February, early March. Both The VP trees normally bloom in January. My "late" type trees Neelam, Kent and Keitt all bloomed in January and February, so go figure... ;) Guess it goes to show they bloom when they want to bloom.         

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2014, 05:35:17 PM »
Its quite an interesting mango year so far.  Certain trees, like Carrie and PPK have no crop from the first bloom. Actually, my PPK hasn't even bloomed yet.  Carrie and my Carrie seedling bloomed profusely but set not a single fruit. Other trees, including and surprisingly so Bailey's Marvel, have very heavy fruit set.  I was going to do a full yard survey on fruit set and may still do it....just need to get some time in the yard. In any case, it is not uncommon to have a later season bloom, especially on Carrie, when the first bloom sets little or no fruit.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
Its quite an interesting mango year so far.  Certain trees, like Carrie and PPK have no crop from the first bloom. Actually, my PPK hasn't even bloomed yet.  Carrie and my Carrie seedling bloomed profusely but set not a single fruit. Other trees, including and surprisingly so Bailey's Marvel, have very heavy fruit set.  I was going to do a full yard survey on fruit set and may still do it....just need to get some time in the yard. In any case, it is not uncommon to have a later season bloom, especially on Carrie, when the first bloom sets little or no fruit.

Same here, seems a down year for Carrie outside of eastern PBC. Meanwhile I have a young BM tree in Loxahatchee Groves that set fruit surprisingly well, with the assistance of some spraying.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 05:47:19 PM »
I have a young BM tree in Loxahatchee Groves that set fruit surprisingly well, with the assistance of some spraying.

I haven't really gotten a sizable Bailey's crop before without spraying.  This year may be the first non-sprayed decent crop.  Or...am I counting my chickens before they hatch?  I hope not.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

Redrockluv

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 11:20:58 PM »

Can't wait to see your famous yard. 

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 11:39:25 PM by Redrockluv »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk