Author Topic: Gary Zill explaining his mango project...  (Read 6728 times)

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Gary Zill explaining his mango project...
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2018, 02:12:32 PM »
Looking back at my top ten list for this year they are all Zills

He doesn’t mention the Ceci Love that Gary created and Dr Campbell selected as per his wants  It is a great mango.

If CL is to be sold Zills will most likely do the grafting as Doc is a grower not a nursery

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2018, 02:18:30 PM »
Looking back at my top ten list for this year they are all Zills

He doesn’t mention the Ceci Love that Gary created and Dr Campbell selected as per his wants  It is a great mango.

If CL is to be sold Zills will most likely do the grafting as Doc is a grower not a nursery

someone said Ceci Love is available on USDA, does anyone know about its corresponding Zills number?

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2018, 02:22:46 PM »
34-24

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2018, 02:43:01 PM »
Thanks

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2018, 02:55:29 PM »
That's an awesome video.

Note that he mentions the importance of calcium.
Jeff  :-)

EJO8

• Orange County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 07:54:36 PM »
Amazing he planted 3000 seeds in one summer for three summers

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2018, 09:56:52 PM »
Working on my own selection project, just happy my wife is supporting because it’s taking up a significant amount of space on our patio. Have various diff types of my favorites I ate this year.

I’m particularly excited about some of the seedling lemon meringue I’ve got going on with noticeably varying growth habit and foliage, here is an ex of orange sherbet one is normal vigor compared to one with stunted dwarfish growth.

-Joep450

dross99_si

• SE Florida zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2018, 10:17:45 PM »
Working on my own selection project, just happy my wife is supporting because it’s taking up a significant amount of space on our patio. Have various diff types of my favorites I ate this year.

I’m particularly excited about some of the seedling lemon meringue I’ve got going on with noticeably varying growth habit and foliage, here is an ex of orange sherbet one is normal vigor compared to one with stunted dwarfish growth.

-Joep450

We have something similar going on our patio. What do you plan to do with multiple growth from the poly seeds? As of now we're letting them all grow. Just not sure of the best way to deal with that and which may be the clone of the mother..

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2018, 10:41:41 PM »
For the most part I’m culling the vigorous ones and keeping the runts, I want to try and see if I can take great poly mangos like bolt, sweet tart, orange essence, wester, Pina colada which produce multi shoots and select out the runts. For the most part flavor is already incredible how can one improve any further? ....but I think maybe the angle is to get a great tasting mango in smaller tree. 🤷‍♂️

-Joep450

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 10:47:50 AM »
For the most part I’m culling the vigorous ones and keeping the runts, I want to try and see if I can take great poly mangos like bolt, sweet tart, orange essence, wester, Pina colada which produce multi shoots and select out the runts. For the most part flavor is already incredible how can one improve any further? ....but I think maybe the angle is to get a great tasting mango in smaller tree. 🤷‍♂️

-Joep450

very nice to see lot of folks on this forum now have great collection of upcoming to be "top tiers" once they fruit. biggest collection of all might be with Mike T @ down under. I have several too, two are about to fruit next year, they bloomed this year in vane.

always tag name of parent seed and keep tags until fruiting, then if superior or different but excellent, then give it a name, spread wood around. otherwise topwork it.

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 11:00:50 AM »

-Joep450

very nice to see lot of folks on this forum now have great collection of upcoming to be "top tiers" once they fruit. biggest collection of all might be with Mike T @ down under. I have several too, two are about to fruit next year, they bloomed this year in vane.

always tag name of parent seed and keep tags until fruiting, then if superior or different but excellent, then give it a name, spread wood around. otherwise topwork it.
Mr. Zill has taken the mango to a whole different level with his outstanding creations. Backyard growers should follow Leo Manuel’s advice and plant any mango you love and wait a few years for it to fruit. Here in Southern California it doesn’t take 10 years for a seedling to fruit in 3 years you’ll have fruits.

gozp

• West Hills, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 11:33:39 AM »

-Joep450

Mr. Zill has taken the mango to a whole different level with his outstanding creations. Backyard growers should follow Leo Manuel’s advice and plant any mango you love and wait a few years for it to fruit. Here in Southern California it doesn’t take 10 years for a seedling to fruit in 3 years you’ll have fruits.

Or u cud also visit JF backyard's to get an idea on how its done.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 01:39:20 PM »
I had the chance to speak with Gary this summer.  His dedication and results are the stuff living legends produce.  I said don’t take it the wrong way, but your work won’t be fully appreciated in your lifetime. 

“When an author dies, a reader is born.”

The next big thing is selecting superior fruit off types and grafting onto already mature trees...

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 04:03:56 PM »
10,000 seedlings!  And the number of years devoted to this.  I'm absolutely amazed by the undertaking.
John

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 04:29:51 PM »
Awesome video, so much respect and appreciation for the work Gary Zill has done. Now we can all reap the rewards, and some build upon to develop new top tier fruits. I'll keep grafting the good ones, glad ya'll are out there doing the footwork for the rest of us. 

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 04:33:20 PM »
:D Yep. That's why I was so excited when these new cultivars first started being released. I got coco cream and lemon zest literally the day they were released.

Gary was able to eliminate 90% of the seedlings before planting them out based on leaf smell. But he did plant out 1,000 seedlings and wait for them to fruit -- which is quite an amazing feat. I don't think anyone else in the U.S. has ever had such a huge mango improvement project. And, how did he manage to cram 1,000 trees into 5 acres? I think that translates to about 8' spacing between trees.

10,000 seedlings!  And the number of years devoted to this.  I'm absolutely amazed by the undertaking.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 06:31:24 PM »
What different sources did he use for seeds?

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 08:00:46 PM »
:D Yep. That's why I was so excited when these new cultivars first started being released. I got coco cream and lemon zest literally the day they were released.

Gary was able to eliminate 90% of the seedlings before planting them out based on leaf smell. But he did plant out 1,000 seedlings and wait for them to fruit -- which is quite an amazing feat. I don't think anyone else in the U.S. has ever had such a huge mango improvement project. And, how did he manage to cram 1,000 trees into 5 acres? I think that translates to about 8' spacing between trees.

6ft actually!

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 09:59:20 PM »
Yikes!

6ft actually!

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
i had one Phoenix on my tree this year and I loved it

The mix of sweet and sour flavors reminded me of a refined sweet tart with a mix of others goodness

But E-4 and LemonZest were even better tasting

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
I have 180 trees planted on roughly 1 acre. My spacing is 15ft.  1 acre = 40,000 sqft, 5 acres = 200,000 sqft, 1000 trees on 200,000 sqft = 200 sqft per tree. If entire 5 acres was used and the trees are planted in a square pattern, they could be planted 14ft apart.

Yikes!

6ft actually!
Brandon

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2018, 05:56:31 PM »
Aha. That would be 10 feet apart in-row and 14 feet between rows. A little tight, but I guess it would work. Also assumes a perfectly square plot, and you'd lose a tree space per row (along the axis where you're staggering them). But the an acre has 43,xxx sq feet, so you have an extra 3k+ square feet, which would make up for most of the row stagger loss.

I was only able to fit about 38 trees on a 1/4 acre plot, but I used 15 foot spacing (both in row and between row).

I have 180 trees planted on roughly 1 acre. My spacing is 15ft.  1 acre = 40,000 sqft, 5 acres = 200,000 sqft, 1000 trees on 200,000 sqft = 200 sqft per tree. If entire 5 acres was used and the trees are planted in a square pattern, they could be planted 14ft apart.

Yikes!

6ft actually!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2018, 09:12:17 PM »

Yikes!

6ft actually!

Brendon is correct. I used the wrong shortcut on my calc. 43,560 sf per acre with perfect spacing is just shy of 15ft for 1000 trees per 5 acres.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2018, 09:32:22 PM »
The efforts that the Zills put into their Mango breeding program is incredible. Their emphasis on superior taste is what amazes me most. If they chose instead to focus their efforts on a commercial Mango, many if not all of the top ten Zill creations might not be here for us to enjoy today.

Unfortunately, much of the world only knows about Tommy Atkins, Kent, Haden and NDM. Even so, people enjoy eating mangos. The members of the Tropical Fruit Forum are fortunate enough to be amongst the first to hear/taste new Zill varieties and it would be awesome if we shared our experiences and Mangos with Mango neophytes so that they can become more familiar with the New Developments in Mangos.

I’m personally growing many mango seeds, mostly from Polyembryonic mango seeds and inevitably, a zygotic seedling will arise from these planting’s with a very small possibility that it will be an improvement over the maternal parent which bore the fruit.

These zygotic seedlings will have at least 50% of its genes from the maternal parent. If other seed growers are like me, they only plant the best varieties in their yard and with a bit of luck, the pollinating parent for such zygotic seedling will come these top varieties.

What would a Lemon Zest crossed with a Sweet Tart or Piña Colada taste like? What about an E4 or M4 crosses with a Pineapple Pleasure?

When I plant my seedlings, I’m not only fantasizing about the possibility of new flavor profiles but I’m also hoping for an increase in size of the fruit for Mangos that tend to be smaller, such as Piña Colada Mangos. I’m also hoping for Mangos that can hang on the tree longer, have a larger window period for optimal eating and Mangos that can be picked mature green to be shipped.

In a small backyard setting, these are just fantasies that will likely only Fruit when I’m in deep R.E.M. sleep but backyard growers like Leo Manuel and his success in selecting excellent eating mangos that taste excellent and produce very well in our climate gives me hope and the realization that lightening in fact sometimes does strike, sometimes twice.

Simon