Author Topic: Should I plant Miracle Fruit from Seed or Grafted?  (Read 2594 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Should I plant Miracle Fruit from Seed or Grafted?
« on: May 13, 2019, 09:26:55 PM »
I want to plant these in the ground. They are very specific of soil acidity right?

Do some work better as rootstock here?

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
Re: Should I plant Miracle Fruit from Seed or Grafted?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2019, 10:05:11 PM »
If it’s another option, I like air layered for miracle.
Peter

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2019, 11:21:51 PM »
I would not recommend planting them in ground because they like acidic soil, don’t like city water and hate cold weather. Unless you have a long term plan to keep them warm and acidify your soil and water, it is going to be a difficult and often short road.

Even when grown in pots and moved indoors during cold weather, many people have difficulties growing this plant and keeping it alive for more than a couple years.

Seedlings grow very slowly, especially for the first year or two. I have not tried to direct seed miracle fruit into the ground. I would assume that they will probably succumb to the cold weather at my location since I get a bit of frost almost every year.

Like Finca la isla said, you may want to try air layered plants. I order my plants from Plantogram.com

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2019, 01:28:32 AM »
I didn't know they were that finicky. I have two them in pots under a large magnolia and have never moved them once. They look good and pump out the fruits. I water the bejesus out of them however, and supplement them with some sulfur every year.
-Chris

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2019, 07:57:20 AM »
Didn't know they were finicky either. Planted one when I moved in 7 years ago in standard HD potting soil in a half barrel in full Florida sun. While I wont claim its doing great, it has consistently produced fruit and has tripled in size. There are several seedlings under it from fruit I missed. Might have to add some sulfur and pine bark to the barrel and see if it improves.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2019, 08:15:48 AM »
Oh yes, they are finicky. I hear that in Florida, they are easier to grow because of the higher humidity and more frequent rains. Miracle fruit grown in SoCal usually show signs of chlorosis and need supplementation with chelated Iron and other minors and trace minerals.

OoChris1, do you have a picture of your plant? How long have you had it?

Simon

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2019, 09:19:05 AM »
I have several in pots, and the potting mix is peat moss, perlite and steer manure.
And yes, they love super-acidic soil. Our water here has a pH of 7.8, so I always acidify my water anyway, and I just add a little extra pH-Down when I water the (ledidi) miracle fruit. Seem to be doing very well.  I get lots of fruit.

Carolyn

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 01:26:27 AM »
I actually just had to move them due to a home renovation but they are within a few feet of their normal spots. Both trees look a bit rough since they are flushing and beginning to flower. I had a hundred plus fruits on them last year.

-Chris

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 01:28:21 AM »
I messed up. The first pic shows them last Thanksgiving with fruit and the second is right now.

-Chris

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »
I actually just had to move them due to a home renovation but they are within a few feet of their normal spots. Both trees look a bit rough since they are flushing and beginning to flower. I had a hundred plus fruits on them last year.

They look nice to me.  How far are you from the ocean?
Brad Spaugh

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2019, 01:07:39 AM »

They look nice to me.  How far are you from the ocean?

I'm about 10 miles as the crow flies
-Chris

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2019, 01:47:46 AM »
Chris, your tree looks super healthy. My tree had about 200+ fruit last year and it looks like crap now. I kept one of my Miracle Fruit plants outdoors in the winter and it dropped all of its leaves after the first frost.

Simon

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 01:56:53 AM »
That sucks Simon! I've been inside my head the last couple days about these trees and the info about them being difficult to grow. I really am miffed by this since I have considered them one of my easiest-no-fuss trees that I grow! My wife and I had a baby the day after my pic (above) with all the fruits on the tree, and I literally haven't been outside for 4+ months...other than to water the trees that needed it. I lost some plants (mostly seedlings) but these 2 trees were still thriving. Go figure
-Chris

Jct

• Zone 10b
    • San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2019, 02:04:05 PM »
Those trees look super.  I had one for a few years but managed to kill it last summer.  Not sure what it was, perhaps overwatered.  I had it in a pot, only used rainwater and fertilized with the acidic type miracle grow.  I had to bring it in the house every winter. I'm looking for a replacement, but don't want to spend the big bucks on a nice sized one.
LaVerne Manila Mango; Pixie Crunch, Honeycrisp & Gala Apple Trees; Violette De Bordeaux & Black Mission Fig; Santa Rosa Plum & Snow Queen Nectarine; Nagami Kumquat, Pixie Tangerine, Lemon, Australian Finger Lime & Washington Navel Citrus; White & Red Dragon Fruit; Miracle Berry Plant

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2019, 01:34:06 AM »
This makes me wonder a bit further. Both of my trees made it through the hottest day ever for my area...last July @ 113 degrees (under a 30 ft. Magnolia) AND the subsequent coldest February in 141 years.
-Chris

So_Cal_Mike

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
I left my little seedling outside over the winter without major problems. Though it is looking chlorotic... watering with rain water and distilled water.

[size=85]Sunset Zone: 21 • USDA Zone: 10a • AHS Heat Zone: 6-7[/size]

OCchris1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 01:08:51 AM »
I left my little seedling outside over the winter without major problems. Though it is looking chlorotic... watering with rain water and distilled water.

Considering our Winter, that little tree looks fine. It will perk up.
-Chris