Author Topic: Shaping a Young Meyer Lemon  (Read 883 times)

thelemonati

• USA, Illinois - Zone 5B
    • View Profile
Shaping a Young Meyer Lemon
« on: August 18, 2020, 09:02:46 AM »
Hi all!

First off, thank you to those who helped me on my first post. My Lemon tree is showing new growth and even looks like it wants to flower already!

Due to this new growth and after looking at my tree I can tell there is a very long lead. I wanted advice and see if I should trim back the tree to the lines indicated in the photo.

I’d like the shape to be that of a “Tree” as opposed to a bush, and as you can imagine I’m very nervous about cutting it back.

What would be the best course of action to produce more branching to fill out the plant and create a more lush leaf system to sustain future fruit?

Here’s a photo with my “pruning” lines:

This is just a photo of new growth:

The secret Lemonati 🍋

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Shaping a Young Meyer Lemon
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2020, 09:27:30 AM »
I can't give much advice about the pruning... but what are those funny looking zip ties?  Never seen that before

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2020, 10:06:33 AM »
There is no reason to prune such a small tree. Most certainly no need to rush at this point. 

thelemonati

• USA, Illinois - Zone 5B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2020, 06:53:18 PM »
They are actually just soft plant ties, they kind of work like a zip tie, but with adjustability, reusability and no strangulation.

I can't give much advice about the pruning... but what are those funny looking zip ties?  Never seen that before

Thank you for the feedback. I’ll be patience and let it do it’s thing. I’m learning a lot everyday from this forum, so thanks!
There is no reason to prune such a small tree. Most certainly no need to rush at this point. 

The secret Lemonati 🍋

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2020, 05:14:50 AM »
Meyers can get wide and can touch the ground with weeping foliage as bthe get bigger. I would wait a while yet and then lift the skirt,t rim to contain at the edges and then the usual taking out thin and crossed branches and keeping around 5 main branches.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk