Author Topic: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?  (Read 28840 times)

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
Re: Is Angie a Top-Tier Mango?
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2019, 01:44:41 AM »
‘Angie’ was named after Angela Whitman, William “Bill” Whitman’s widow! Now show some respect for her & Bill everyone. =P
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2019, 10:16:28 AM »
I purchased two Angie from Alex this season that were outstanding. Picked and ripened properly, on the firm side of ripe and made it to the top tier for me. Top tier but not top 10.

kimjy3

• Virginia, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2019, 11:39:59 PM »
I haven't tried many mango varieties besides the common supermarket finds, but I recently had an opportunity to try some cool ones offered by Sayyid. The Angie was by far the best tasting out of the bunch. It ripened up perfectly from green to a beautiful orange-red and the inside was sweet and fiber less.

Off topic...the Cac was also a delicious mango with a flavor reminiscent of lychee towards the skin. Very interesting flavor with some acidity to balance out the sweetness!

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 30, 2019, 04:46:49 PM »
So that was two who loved it, but this is what Craig and Celeste had to say (thumbs down): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tdO4KcH63M
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 05:32:31 PM by johnb51 »
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 01, 2019, 03:16:54 PM »
We all know taste is subjective but ive never tasted carrot in one, it was more reminiscent of apricot to me.  I have only had a few though.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 01, 2019, 06:06:20 PM »
I keep eating ‘em because Angie and Pickering are all I have right now. Some are very good (8 points out of 10).  Some not that good.  They all have the resinous off-flavor near the skin to some degree.  But the neighbors love ‘em!  Of the Pickerings and Angies I give them they all say they're the best mangos they've ever eaten.  I'd like to replace the tree with Orange Sherbet and Lemon Zest in the same hole, but will probably leave it for the next owner (to chop down and put in a swimming pool!)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2019, 12:09:44 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 20, 2019, 08:59:49 AM »
MY FINAL EVALUATION OF ANGIE (although no one may care at this point).  I still see two fruit on the tree, and I've got a few in the refrigerator and a few in a box.  So that makes an incredibly long season from late May until now with a ton of fruit produced.  Although the flesh is totally fiberless and melting, the fruit is still rock-hard when it falls from the tree when ripe so it never suffers damage.  The tree is attractive and disease-free, and it's fairly easy to manage the height and size. The fruit is attractive, too, sometimes with a blush, and the flesh is deep orange.  Lots of vitamins, I'd imagine.

The controversy lies in the flavor, which people seem to either love or hate.  There are a few oddballs like me I guess, who are in the middle, maybe because there's so much variability from one fruit to the next.  At its best it can be an 8.5, possibly 9.  At its worst, you can barely finish it.  But with average, non-discriminating individuals (friends, neighbors), it's hugely popular, normally eliciting the comment, "Best mangos I've ever had."  (Worth mentioning that they received Pickerings, too, in the same bag.)  Sooooo...if you really like the flavor, plant a tree.  Or if you're planting 20 or more mango trees, include it in your collection if only to give the fruit away to your appreciative friends.  Is it top-tier?  Only if you're a person who REALLY likes it!
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 08:29:52 PM by johnb51 »
John

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2019, 02:31:50 PM »
I keep eating ‘em because Angie and Pickering are all I have right now. Some are very good (8 points out of 10).  Some not that good.  They all have the resinous off-flavor near the skin to some degree.  But the neighbors love ‘em!  Of the Pickerings and Angies I give them they all say they're the best mangos they've ever eaten.  I'd like to replace the tree with Orange Sherbet and Lemon Zest in the same hole, but will probably leave it for the next owner (to chop down and put in a swimming pool!)

Which one you say has a better taste angie or pickering?
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2019, 05:37:35 PM »
Which one you say has a better taste angie or pickering?
Pickering, of course, especially when they get lots of sun, BUT the two have totally different flavor profiles.  So it you ate them at the same time, you might say, "This one is good" (Angie), and "This one is GREAT!" (Pickering)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:55:40 AM by johnb51 »
John

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2019, 01:42:12 AM »
I purchased two Angie from Alex this season that were outstanding. Picked and ripened properly, on the firm side of ripe and made it to the top tier for me. Top tier but not top 10.

Dr. Campbell at Mango Men Homestead also had some outstanding 'Angie' this season as well. Too many people jump to quick conclusions about flavor. Trees may vary right, grower, location, culture etc.? Go Angie!, which was named after Angela Whitman, William “Bill” Whitman’s widow, first President of The Rare Fruit Council intl. in Miami, and one of its founders! It's a good mango...
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2019, 12:29:58 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc1rzpqxvBE&t=335s
So these guys (Sulcata) changed their opinion of Angie.  Now they're much more positive although still not considering it top-tier.  They speak of it as being watery, and to that I'd say sweetness varies from fruit to fruit, some being very sweet but never a brix meter buster.  They say a rating of 7.5 to 8.  When they're really good, I'd say 8.5.  As far as their comments about the commercial potential for Angie, I'd agree.  They're rock-hard when tree-ripened, don't bruise, turn a very nice exterior color with deep orange flesh, and have a perfect, fiberless texture.  The tree is a good producer, too.
John

paulmctigue

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2019, 10:55:48 PM »
I had some fantastic Alex from Alex this year

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2019, 10:58:29 PM »
I had some fantastic Alex from Alex this year
Angie from Alex?
John

rcantor

• KC, MO
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2019, 03:23:32 AM »
OK, everything I read about Angie was unicorns and stardust and now I'm reading this a few years after I bought one.  :)

So what container mangoes (if any) are top tier?

Thanks!

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2019, 09:01:55 AM »
OK, everything I read about Angie was unicorns and stardust and now I'm reading this a few years after I bought one.  :)

Thanks!
"Unicorns and stardust."  That's funny.  Well, Angie's a pretty good mango when all is said and done.  Most everyone loves Pickering.  A lot of folks love Julie.  Another one they say is good is Dwarf Hawaiian.  I think Pineapple Pleasure is a small tree.  Just because the super-stars aren't container mangoes, that doesn't mean that others aren't worth growing.
John

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2019, 04:17:09 PM »

Thanks!
"Unicorns and stardust."  That's funny.  Well, Angie's a pretty good mango when all is said and done.  Most everyone loves Pickering.  A lot of folks love Julie.  Another one they say is good is Dwarf Hawaiian.  I think Pineapple Pleasure is a small tree.  Just because the super-stars aren't container mangoes, that doesn't mean that others aren't worth growing.

Ha! 
Pickering = awesome coconut manageable mango tree
Dwarf Hawaiian (Tete Nene) = excellent mango. I don't have experience with the tree
Pineapple Pleasure is really not a dwarf tree. It seems semi-vigorous but lanky. Kind of like coconut cream.
- Mark

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 05, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »
Orange sherbet
Lemon zest
Sugarloaf
Coconut cream
Sweet tart
Are some of the top tier

Angie doesn't have that wow factor needed to reach top tier

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 05, 2019, 08:24:40 AM »
Orange sherbet
Lemon zest
Sugarloaf
Coconut cream
Sweet tart
Are some of the top tier

Angie doesn't have that wow factor needed to reach top tier
But rcantor was asking for the best container mangoes, and I don't believe any of those are.
John

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 05, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »
I wasn’t answering anyone in particular

General statement about what is top tier by taste