Author Topic: Manilita Mango  (Read 20856 times)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
Manilita Mango
« on: June 01, 2013, 07:43:11 PM »
I harvested my very first home grown mango! So exciting!

Here's the tree, shortly before it ripened. It was planted in 2010 after a visit to Fairchild.

The color is very pretty, and the fruit is about 9oz

The texture and size is very similar to the yellow "Honey" mangos you get at the grocery store.

Seed is not paper thin, but still quite small.

The flavor was in my opinion not top tier - not as good as an Edward. But it was quite a bit better than a store bought Honey mango. It is in the same flavor category, sweet and tart, but it has a richer flavor and is distinctly coconutty. It has a bit of pine flavor, but not so much as to be unpleasant. When I bought the tree, nobody had any comments on its flavor, but I purchased it because it is one of the smallest dwarfs and can be maintained very narrow. As you can see, the tree is staying quite small.  Since I like Honey mangos, I'm quite pleased.

My only complaint about it is that it seems prone to fruit split. It set really well - 20 to 30 fruit, most of which grew to the size of small plums. But with all those rains we got a month ago, all but 4 fruit split=( But it ripens early, so many years it will be before we start the summer rains.

My other trees are doing well. The Angie that was so badly damaged by frost 2 years ago is starting to recover and should be big enough to fruit next year. My Cogshall is holding about 10 fruit, and my Pickering has 4.

Here are some of the Cogshalls. Mine set reasonably well on the first bloom, and almost zero on the second bloom.

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Manilita Mango
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2013, 07:48:22 PM »
Congratulations on your first homegrown mango! That is quite a pretty mango...reminds me of an Easter egg.
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 08:37:13 AM »
Nicely done.  I bought one of these at the same time and mine isn't a third as big as yours and I have yet to try the fruit.  I think I planted it in a spot that receives too little light, being blocked by larger trees around it.  Thanks for the report.
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 10:02:43 AM »
Congrats Sun!! Your tree looks very healthy and love your Cogshalls...I love them and can't wait for mine to ripen also. Great job!!

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 12:49:46 PM »
Looks Great ! nice to see fruit trees planted in front of the home vs the yard.
I been thinking about planting a mango tree in front yard, but not sure how the HOA will react to it.
No one in my community has fruit planted in there front yards , only Palm Trees.

Looks Great in the Front !
Zone 10

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »
I have a Cogshall mango planted in my front yard...appx. 6-7 ft from the front entry way...its about 5 years old. My HOA doesn't have anything saying on its bi-laws that say  we cannot plant fruit trees in our front yard and many of my neighbors have Citrus trees there...I'm the only one in my neighborhood that has a Mango in the front yard though,lol...

The biggest issue is keeping it pruned so it doesn't take over that space...so it gets "Pugged" once a year.

You can always check with your HOA and ask them if they have rules against fruit trees in the front yard...

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 01:48:28 PM »
Thanks ! for the info , i will ask them about the fruit trees in front of yard , but my next home will not have HOA !
Zone 10

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2013, 03:15:46 PM »
Thanks ! for the info , i will ask them about the fruit trees in front of yard , but my next home will not have HOA !

I couldn't agree with you more! Neither will mine  ;D

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »
Boy - I just can't believe the variety of shapes and colors for mangoes - this one is very unique!

Congrats Sunworshipper - looks like you have another one waiting to ripen too!

Fang

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 09:28:32 AM »
I got a tree to fruit before Harry? I'm speechless! Thanks everyone for the nice comments. It is so much fun watching these mangos ripen. The second one ripened, and was just as beautifully colored as the first.

My yard is an experiment in "beautiful fruitscaping". 90% of my property is street facing, so I did have to have my fruit trees approved by my HOA. I submitted a full landscape design, and have incorporated 10 dwarf fruit trees into my street facing portion of the yard. Incorporating fruiting trees with decorative elements is perfectly possible. As you can see, my HOA loves my yard - I got yard of the month last August:

I regularly get gawkers/admirerers coming by to check out my yard and ask questions about it. Hopefully an example of what a beautiful fruit garden can look like will help break the stereotype that fruit trees are too ugly for front yards.

I have lots of other pics if anyone is interested.

Angela

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 10:00:01 AM »
Angela, your yard is lovely...and if I lived near you I would be one of those "gawkers" and asking questions as well,lol... I love seeing fruit trees  especially mango and lychee trees in people's yard. Congrats on your yard of the month award... Great job designing it!!  ;D 8)

Zambezi

• USA, Houston, TX. Zone 9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:17:43 PM »
You have a beautiful yard...:) Fruit trees make lovely specimen trees, among other perennials and flowering shrubs, and who can complain when you can walk up to a beautiful tree and pick the fruit too. Congrats on your mangoes..:)

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:03:30 PM »
You make me laugh Nancy. Send me an email if you are ever in the area, and I'll give you a tour=) I would likewise love to see all your "pugged" trees. My cogshall maxed out the size my shelter can cover this past winter, so after it finishes fruiting I will be making my first attempt at pruning for size control rather than just tipping to get lots of growing tips.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 01:12:58 PM »
Great looking place!
Zone 10

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2013, 01:57:57 PM »
Love those manilitas. I just ate a bunch of them. I love your yard congratulations on your mangos.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 03:53:51 PM »
Thanks for the invite Angela...I will definitely let you know if I'm ever in your neck of the woods...and if you ever decide to visit the Sebring Area...you are welcome to see my Fruit trees as well...if we keep having some milder winters my trees may actually be "not so pugged anymore,lol...

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »
Thanks all=) I'll take you up on that if I'm ever by your way Nancy!

ClayMango

• MangoHunter
    • Zone 9B Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 07:01:54 PM »
question- does the groundcover you have surrounding your fruit trees..or in my case iceplants on my slope surrounding my peaches and cherimoyas....compete for nutrients reducing the quality of fruit?

sorry for the highjack...was curious how that ground cover you are using is working out?
Thinking about joining a Fruitaholics anonymous support group...Fruit addiction has taken over my life!

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 07:27:55 PM »
The perennial peanut is in theory a nitrogen fixer, and the mango tree is doing great. It sized up a lot and is holding around 30 fruit this year. The citrus tree on the other hand is doing poorly, but I suspect it is not due to the ground cover, just all the other disease pressure that effects citrus.

Overall I like it, very low maintenance, doesn't seem to hurt the trees any, and is walkable. The only drawback is that the peanut spreads by underground rhizome, and has escaped into the lawn here and there. But mostly the st Augustine grass holds its own against it. So something to keep in mind.

Also, ground over can help you to control moisture levels. If you are growing cherimoya, you might be in a dry area where holding in water is good. I have decorative plants up close to all my fruit trees, some chosen based on water consumption. For example, my yard is irrigated, which doesn't help mangos here, so having other thirsty plants nearby to suck up the extra water helps. In other places, I take advantage of the tree bring thirsty to dry out the soil - I plant mints, oreganos and lavender up close to tree trunks where it is really dry - otherwise the humidity of summer does them in.

Got a pic of your trees with ice plants underneath? Would be fun to see!

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2014, 10:07:54 AM »
Congratulations on your first home grown mango! I hear that the first fruits from a tree may not be indicative of how future fruit will taste once your tree gets fully established. I've also noticed that certain fertilizers such as Potassium and I think a phosphorus can sweeten up your fruit. I have definitely experienced this for myself with other fruit.

Fruit cracking can be genetic but it can also be from inconsistent watering or perhaps even lack of certain elements like Calcium.
Simon

sunworshiper

• Oviedo, FL (9b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2014, 10:43:16 AM »
Thanks Simon! This years crop is later, looks like another week or two until I can compare this years flavor to last years. Much less fruit split this year. The rains didn't start this year until the fruit was around 3/4 size, whereas last year it rained a lot when they were egg sized. So I think water timing makes a difference for this one.

puglvr1

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2014, 01:13:30 PM »
Wow Sun, 30 fruits on your Manilita, Congrats!! That's amazing  8)

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2014, 04:38:04 PM »
Your yard is very beautiful!
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2014, 04:39:14 PM »
Ate some tree ripened Manilita today grown in Boynton Beach.  Tree produces heaviky.  Grown main l y for rootstock use.  Fruit are ok, small in size.
- Rob

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2014, 04:46:29 PM »
Manelita is good little mango ate some at Benders recently. Mike has a tree. They look poly-embryonic I am going to sprout some.
They seem to be an early mango in South Florida