Author Topic: Shiranui at CCPP is very seedy?  (Read 1173 times)

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
Shiranui at CCPP is very seedy?
« on: May 08, 2020, 03:50:54 AM »
The CCPP posted new pics this winter on their shiranui that they planted just last year. The shiranui is supposed to have few seeds, but they cut theirs open and found a Lot! You can see the picture and read more of the story below.

https://citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/CRC4249.html

They describe that there have been 3 legal introductions of the shiranui into California. They don’t explicitly say, but I presume that they are propagating the shiranui Scions that came from China (and are currently available on the CCPP).

I know that several people here have received and are growing these scions. I suspect virtually all of the legally grown privately owned shiranui in California comes from these scions.

Has anyone else had the experience of cutting into their CCPP shiranui and found a lot of seeds? Does it taste like it was described?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Shiranui at CCPP is very seedy?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 05:55:27 AM »
The one's that I tasted here from the store tasted nothing like the ones in Japan, I suspect due to the growing conditions, storage conditions, as well as other aspects of fruit culture like thinning.

The level of seed in those pictures is likely due to the nature of a grove with ample pollen sources.

sc4001992

• USA, CA, Fullerton
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
I grow the CCPP shiranui (scions from 2017) and they have no seeds, taste good. My fruits have a little more acid taste than ones from store if I eat it immediately after picking from the tree.

That photo is misleading, I have never had fruits with seeds on my plant.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 11:39:38 AM »
I have a 5-year old in ground Shiranui tree that produces quite a bit of fruit, plus I have over the last several years purchased shiranui fruit from the supermarket, and have found 2 seeds in all that time.  I suspect Oolie is correct, concerning the lesser amount of sweetness in American grow shiranui fruit.  I do not know if local grown shiranui are stored warm for 40 days to lower the acid and raise the sugar.  I also suspect that the American grown fruit trees are not pruned in the same manner as a peach tree is pruned, to enable high levels of light into the interior of the tree, and all sides of he fruit as is the case in Japan.  The fruit I have purchased in the local stores are good but not as sweet as Japanese fruit.

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 08:20:30 PM »
Mine hardly has any seeds, maybe 1 per fruit. Source ccpp

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 11:14:44 PM »
It's possible it has more seeds because of lots of surrounding pollination from other varieties.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk