Author Topic: Sfusato Amalfitano true from seeds, will they produce fruit?  (Read 946 times)

Mirea

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
Sfusato Amalfitano true from seeds, will they produce fruit?
« on: August 09, 2019, 12:21:12 AM »
Hi all,

a friend of mine brought me some lemons from the Amalfi coast in Italy, I put some of the seeds in a paper towel and they sprouted really well. I have now six seedlings growing that look really healthy. I know this a very old variety, could this mean they are true from seeds and maybe the seedlings will produce fruit in some years?

Do you think there is any chance for my seedlings to grow fruit in some years or is it like any citrus seedlings grown from seeds, you have to wait for 5-10 years and see if they will bear any fruit at all? And it doesn't matter if it is an old variety or not?

I tried to find some answers to my question through the search function, but I couldn't find anything helpful.

Thanks a lot for your help in advance.

Mirea

Ilya11

• France, Paris region, Vaux le Penil, middle of Northern z8
    • View Profile
Re: Sfusato Amalfitano true from seeds, will they produce fruit?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2019, 02:49:19 AM »
If you have some seeds giving more than one sprout there is a big chance that at least one of them will be true to type.
The time to flowering will depend on the growth and care, in pots it will take about 10 years.
Since you are in Europe, it is better to buy the fruiting plant.
https://www.oscartintori.it/prodotto/limone-sfusato-amalfitano/
Best regards,
                       Ilya

Mirea

• Switzerland
    • View Profile
Re: Sfusato Amalfitano true from seeds, will they produce fruit?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 10:04:49 PM »
Thanks a lot for your reply Ilya. So I would have to wait for about 10 years for fruiting and it doesn't matter if it is an old variety or not. Maybe I will take care of my seedlings anyway and letting them grow as they look super healthy.

Merci beaucoup for the infos and the link.

Mirea