Author Topic: Why don't more people grow rare and exotic fruits?  (Read 5011 times)

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
Re: Why don't more people grow rare and exotic fruits?
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »

I tried a ton of different types of bananas in India and still like Cavendish the best.

😳😳😳
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2019, 05:57:12 AM »
Java plums are awful.  Jujubes are inferior to apples.  Breadfruit is gross.  Soursop is meh.  Star apple is mediocre.  Sapodilla is too sweet.

I love sapotes but my wife didn't like them, same with surinam cherries.  I love jackfruit but my brother says it smells awful. 

I tried a ton of different types of bananas in India and still like Cavendish the best.

I can understand your POV on everything except breadfruit. I’ve never heard of someone not liking breadfruit. Two me that’s like saying French fries taste gross. Very uncommon, but I get where you are coming from because me and my good friend have opposing tastes when it comes to most tropical fruit
Lots of people here, where there is lots of breadfruit, don't like it. Probably cause they don't know how to prepare it properly.
Oscar

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2019, 06:01:11 AM »
Reason most people don't grow exotic fruits is simple, most people are boring. They are not adventurous, they don't want to try anything new. It's only a small percentage that enjoy trying new things. I learned that at plant sales. I used to give out free samples of exotic fruits, and most people didn't even want to try them. I was very surprised! I thought everyone was like me.  ;)
Also there is a large segment that are just ignorant of anything other than apples and oranges.
Oscar

forumfool

• Canton, GA 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2019, 10:12:51 AM »
I think op answered it partially in the thread title. If the fruit is “rare/exotic “ that means many people have not tried it . Why would you grow something you have never tried?

Most people don’t even grow common fruits that they eat all the time.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2019, 11:06:47 AM »
Where I live at kids don't go to parks or fishing. They stay inside and
play _______________. I went to dinner at a restaurant and there was a family of 5
eating. The mother had her nose in a screen, one kid had his nose in a different devise
one kid had there nose in a different screen and the father was sharing his screen with the
third child.  Five people 4 screens? What is the world becoming? Go outside and plant a tree
come on someone might take a dump and People got to read about it on Facebook

I just ate about 50 pounds of lychees the past 2-3 weeks. My goal is to have lychees in May
and June Mangos in June July and August, Longans in July and August and sugar apples and
atemoyas in August September and October

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
Where I live at kids don't go to parks or fishing. They stay inside and
play _______________. I went to dinner at a restaurant and there was a family of 5
eating. The mother had her nose in a screen, one kid had his nose in a different devise
one kid had there nose in a different screen and the father was sharing his screen with the
third child.  Five people 4 screens? What is the world becoming? Go outside and plant a tree
come on someone might take a dump and People got to read about it on Facebook

I just ate about 50 pounds of lychees the past 2-3 weeks. My goal is to have lychees in May
and June Mangos in June July and August, Longans in July and August and sugar apples and
atemoyas in August September and October

That's why I refused to jump on the Facebook bandwagon.  My little act of rebellion.  I like your fruit production goal. ;D  But whassamatta?  You no like guanabana?  (My current fave.)  Too far north?  How about avocados?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 12:29:55 PM by johnb51 »
John

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2019, 12:52:22 PM »
Reason most people don't grow exotic fruits is simple, most people are boring. They are not adventurous, they don't want to try anything new. It's only a small percentage that enjoy trying new things. I learned that at plant sales. I used to give out free samples of exotic fruits, and most people didn't even want to try them. I was very surprised! I thought everyone was like me.  ;)
Also there is a large segment that are just ignorant of anything other than apples and oranges.

(Same thing with ideas and issues, Oscar, and trying to solve major existential problems.:()
John

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

palmcity

• Martin County, Fl zone10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2019, 02:46:13 PM »
Topic: Why don't more people grow rare and exotic fruits?

1. If you do not know of it's existence (or taste), you do not Desire It... aka See what happened when you ate of the fruit of the tree and now have knowledge of good and evil...

2. Grow = Work to most of the population... Equals opposite of enjoyment to most of population.

3. Use kids at home as example... How often do they volunteer to carry out garbage/wash car/ wash dishes/ vacuum/ cook etc. etc. ... lol ... no need as long as someone else does it for them... aka Minimum effort with maximum self gains (aka: Usually a receiver vs. a giver)...

*Most of us realize that this is a way to make others happy as well as ourselves while hopefully leaving something behind after we are gone. Unfortunately, some people don't think this way. ***

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk