Author Topic: Mango, starfruit and others need chill hours?  (Read 1114 times)

Delson310

• Shadow hills, CA/los Angeles
    • View Profile
Mango, starfruit and others need chill hours?
« on: February 08, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »
Hi, I live in Southern California where we just barely get frosts a good few times  a year.  I just built a greenhouse for my mango and starfruit.  And didn't really think about  it till now if they might need chill hours at all to fruit?. I also have lychee, pineapple, miracle  berry, plumerias, and am planning to get coffee and papaya.  I was wondering if anyone had any insight on if any of these plants need chill hours to flower and fruit?  This winter, I've been trying to keep the temperature no lower than 60° at night.

Thanks,

David

amberroses

• 10a- Tampa Bay area
    • View Profile
Re: Mango, starfruit and others need chill hours?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2018, 08:14:57 PM »
Someone more knowledgeable will probably respond, but yes, many of those benefit from some cold. Cold will trigger mangos to bloom, as will a long period of dormancy triggered by no rain. You don't want it to get cold enough to damage them. The 50s is a good nighttime temp range. Lychee flowering is also triggered by cold. I'm not sure about everything else.

Cookie Monster

• Broward, FL Zone 10b
  • Global Moderator
  • Eye like mangoes
    • Tamarac, FL, 33321, 10B
    • View Profile
Re: Mango, starfruit and others need chill hours?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 12:05:48 PM »
Lychee and mango both flower much more freely when temps drop. Temps in the 40s for a couple of nights is magic where I live.

Starfruit need no chill hours.
Jeff  :-)