Author Topic: Using Grow Lights during Winter  (Read 8596 times)

Tom

• USA, Alabama,Montgomery, zone 8
    • View Profile
Re: Using Grow Lights during Winter
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2016, 09:24:53 PM »
Great article. Probably a lot like buying a computer. Something better will come out very quickly after you buy what's best today ! But thanks for the link to the article. Tom

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2016, 03:22:29 PM »
On February 17th the new Dekopon tree that I have been lighting nightly, and heating the tree's root system to 81-F started its 2nd flush of new growth. The initial flush was on November 20, 2015.  The second flush began 88 days after the start of the tree's 1st growth flush. The period in between the first and second flush was 88 days of which the tree has been putting on a growth of new roots. I plan to keep providing the tree 16-17 hours of light each day.   The third flush should begin around May 15. I noticed that the second growth flush also put on a dozen flowers.  I will let one fruit grow.  My supposition is that the May flush will produce quite a few flowers. By lighting and heating  I expect 5 flushes of tree growth in one year's time, with an outside chance of a 6th. I will post on this tree through out the year. - Millet
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 03:24:52 PM by Millet »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2016, 06:20:11 PM »
Great. Thank you for the detailed report ! Sounds excellent ! Tom

danero2004

• Iasi,Romania
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2016, 03:31:32 AM »
Because they are in pots will not be exhausted from the many episodes of growth?

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2016, 02:49:52 PM »
danero2004, I'm sure Millet will answer in more detail when he can but I think I can help you a little bit. Millet uses special pots called 'root maker' that are great for air pruning roots. That keeps the plants productive and they do not have near the problem with circling roots so they don't get root bound nearly as quickly. Also I believe he spoon feeds his citrus with very small amounts of fertilizer as needed or maybe more correctly fertilizes as the plant uses it. He has much less waste from leaching. In brief,  Millet really knows what he is doing so he would probably be more successful than those of us that are still stumbling around a little bit. By this I'm condemning no one but myself. He has forgotten more than I will ever know but I'm reading and learning as best I can. He started this forum and is a real super star to me and many others. I would label him a national or really international treasure ! He could be using some of the same tricks with his inground citrus.  I've met him only once and tried to read everything he has ever written. You question was very good and I hope I've helped a little bit. If I'm mistaken Millet or I will delete this when he reads this and answers your question ! Tom

pitbull-rus

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2016, 03:44:34 AM »
Dear members,has anyone of you tried to grow plants using LEDs more 6400К.Meet in the sale of 10,000,20000,30000.Has anyone put such an experiment?

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2016, 12:47:31 PM »
Danero, I would think that the main problem with heating and  lighting a citrus tree growing in a container would be that very soon the tree's root system would quickly grow to fill the entire volume of the container.  Any future benefit from additional heating and lighting of the tree would then be lost unless the tree was put into a larger container.  Then as the tree continued to grow  the container size would need to be increased, until the tree reaches the final size that you would want.  I don't think that citrus trees become exhausted, as humans do, as long as they have the climate, root and aerial space, nutrition and water, the tree will grow at the pace that nature intended. Citrus trees growing in tropical locations normally produce 5 or more growth flushes every year.  Lighting and heating a tree, is nothing more than giving the tree a tropical atmosphere. - Millet

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 07:12:51 PM »
Today I noticed that the Dekopon that I have been lighting, plus heating the root system to 81F has started it 3rd flush of growth in six months time (I started lighting & heating on November 8th 2015).  By continued heating and lighting the tree it surely has plenty of time left this year to get a 4th flush, and possibly even a 5th flush. - Millet
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:13:10 PM by Millet »

Tom

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2016, 10:32:38 PM »
That's really awesome Millet ! Great job !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk