Author Topic: Name my farm  (Read 6303 times)

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
Name my farm
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:33:13 AM »
I'm looking for a clever name for my farm.  Any ideas?

The farm is approximately 15 acres, seaside, tropical.  Predominant fruits are mango, citrus and avocado, but growing a little of everything I can find that thrives here.  And honey bees.  Hillside, facing west.  Beautiful view, sunsets. It's near the northernmost point on the island, adjacent to Bligh waters, where Captain Bligh of Bounty fame sailed through after the mutiny. Wildlife includes fruit bats, crabs, mongoose and fish.  The area is known as Volivoli ("trading place").

Edit: It would be best if the name looked nice on a jar of fruit jam or honey.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 12:37:26 AM by jcaldeira »
Applying laws and rules equally to all is a cornerstone of a civilized society.

Bananimal

• Dan the Bananaman
    • Port St Lucie, Fl zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Name my farm
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:58:07 AM »
Sega na lega.
Dan

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
Windward - a phrase from Hawaii to describe the portion of the island where the wind comes towards.  The windward side usually has lush vegetation because the clouds must drop rain to clear the mountains.  The opposite side is Leeward.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

NaturalGreenthumb

• CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 01:20:57 AM »
I'm looking for a clever name for my farm.  Any ideas?

The farm is approximately 15 acres, seaside, tropical.  Predominant fruits are mango, citrus and avocado, but growing a little of everything I can find that thrives here.  And honey bees.  Hillside, facing west.  Beautiful view, sunsets. It's near the northernmost point on the island, adjacent to Bligh waters, where Captain Bligh of Bounty fame sailed through after the mutiny. Wildlife includes fruit bats, crabs, mongoose and fish.  The area is known as Volivoli ("trading place").

Edit: It would be best if the name looked nice on a jar of fruit jam or honey.

Seaside Tropicals / Tropics
Seaside West Tropicals/ Tropics
Westside Tropicals / Tropics
North Point Tropicals / Tropics
Sunset Tropicals / Tropics
Fiji Island Tropicals / Tropics - people will know where it came from for sure.

Keep it simple.

What did I win?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 01:39:26 AM »
I would say think about who your customers are going to be, and what kinds of names would attract them, or what they would associate the name with? Are the jars going to be sold locally or internationally? I like the name Volivoli. Has a nice ring to it. How about Volivoli Delights? Or Volivoli Nectar? Volivoli Supreme? Something like that.
Oscar

vipinrl

• India, Western Ghats, Kerala
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:05 AM »

"Eden Garden"

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 05:38:37 AM »
I like Volivoli too, but it's a bit generic to the area I guess. If you are looking for a Jar name, I'd incorporate the Bounty tag into the name. Something like Traders Bounty or Tropical Bounty sound like alluring jar names.

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 08:03:13 AM »
I would say that is difficult to not put Fiji in the name somehow, if you are targeting tourist or exporting a product. It can become as much as about the label and the memories associated with it, than just the contents.  Lotsa color on the label too.

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 08:13:45 AM »
(in Hoss's voice) I reckon you oughta name it "The Ponderosa". lol jk
Well since you're in "the south pacific" how about Bali Ha'i? ... hope you're into musicals. If you told us more about something unique to you, we can come up with a name, unless you wanna' name it something unique to the area or Fiji, then go with a reference to the mutiny as it would be historic at least.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 08:20:02 AM »
Oscar has a good point; know your customer.

"Fiji Fruit Emporium" sounds a little classy.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

Coconut

• Boca Raton Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 09:04:30 AM »
Fiji Fruit Ranch; where you will discover a Mutiny of delightful tropical fruits & free range organic chicken, Captain Blight would provision for your table; our jams & nectors are a Bounty of island memory to take home.  :P
While here try our original Captain Blight's breadfruit chip, fry crispy in our ranch grown organic virgin coconut oil good for your heart; something Captain Blight should have taken with him so there would be no Historical Mutiny on the HMS Bounty. ;)

Ok do I win a seed credit? ;D 8)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 09:20:27 AM by Coconut »
The Biggest Fart in the Old West! 68 confirmed killed🔫💀

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 10:01:21 AM »
Good suggestions.  A few comments:

Sega na lega.
Nice, but used already.  Over-used, actually.  For those who don't know, it means 'No Problem' in the Fijian language, Bau dialect.

Windward - a phrase from Hawaii to describe the portion of the island where the wind comes towards.  The windward side usually has lush vegetation because the clouds must drop rain to clear the mountains.  The opposite side is Leeward.
Not bad, but I'm actually on the lee side of a little peninsula.

I would say think about who your customers are going to be, and what kinds of names would attract them, or what they would associate the name with?
That's what I meant when I wrote that it should look nice on a jar.  But not just today's customers.  The name must be flexible for the future.

Are the jars going to be sold locally or internationally?

Locally, but some of it will surely be to overseas visitors.  The word 'Fiji' will appear in the country of origin ('Produce of Fiji') so I don't need that word in the name.  I do that now for my honey, sold under the name 'Ra Fruit & Honey'.  Ra is the district/state.

I like the name Volivoli. Has a nice ring to it. How about Volivoli Delights? Or Volivoli Nectar? Volivoli Supreme? Something like that.
I like 'Volivoli' too.

Ideally, the name should be very flexible, as the farm may eventually turn towards tourism, of be subdivided.  I'm leaning towards having the name 'farm' included in the name, so it doesn't sound like a cheap motel.

I love the ideas.  Keep 'em coming!

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
eco tourism in fiji from a fellow forum member?  I am already planning that family vacation in my head, for like 8-10 years from now.  Seriously, that sounds amazing!!  When is the best time to visit fiji?
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 11:47:53 AM »
I believe your name is related to the english Cauldron, which ultimately derives from Latin Caldarium for cooking pot and Calidus for hot.  Perhaps a play on that? Can capture your name, heat and food all at once.

The Caldarium
Calidus Fruits

Shane

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 12:07:56 PM »
John,

As a consumer of honey and a beekeeper, I see value in having "Fiji" in the name for products such as honey.  The United States is a major importer of honey.  China is a large exporter of honey.  There are issues on whether it is actually honey or something manmade to look and taste like honey.  Subsequently, other countries have become massive exporters of honey, such as Vietnam.  Strangely these countries do not have enough honey bees to make the amount of honey exported. 

I think the name Fiji can add value.
http://www.fijiwater.com/
www.FLMangos.com

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »
Bligh's Booty

Pirate's Forever (or Sweet) Gold

Sweet Mate's Mutiny

The Captain's Fruit

No Scurvy for the Gods

Fruitiny of the Bounty

(Gary)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 02:06:29 PM by MangoFang »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 02:45:27 PM »
How about call your place- ExPat's TaxFree Pirate Redoubt? 
Call your honey "Captain Hook's Best Wildflower Honey"
Your hot sauce with a mango base you can call "Captain Hook's Been to Hell and Back Mango HotSauce"

Doglips

• Houston TX 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 03:55:52 PM »
Fiji Fresh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 05:34:31 PM »
What's wrong with your current name: John's Ra ___ Jam, jelly, honey, or whatever?
Maybe add a little humor and call it John's Hoo Ra! ___? Or if you don't want your name in it any more call it Volivoli Hoo Ra!
Oscar

Saltcayman

• Zone 13b TCI
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 06:47:27 PM »
I like something simple like

Leeward Farm
Pacific Acres
Ocean View Farm

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2014, 01:06:36 AM »
Bula Fiji Fruit Farm

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2014, 01:35:46 AM »
What's wrong with your current name: John's Ra ___ Jam, jelly, honey, or whatever?
Maybe add a little humor and call it John's Hoo Ra! ___? Or if you don't want your name in it any more call it Volivoli Hoo Ra!

Or backwards: Hoo Ra 4 Volivoli. Or Hoo Ra 4 Fiji
Oscar

Radoslav

• Slovakia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 02:02:22 AM »
I believe your name is related to the english Cauldron, which ultimately derives from Latin Caldarium for cooking pot and Calidus for hot.  Perhaps a play on that? Can capture your name, heat and food all at once.

The Caldarium
Calidus Fruits

Yes, "Caldeira" is a french word originated in latin word "caldaria", it means something like cooking pot, but it looks like in France it is used more as geology-volcanology term:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldeira

but I have to agree with those, who intend to use the word "Fiji" in the name, for me as inhabitant of central Europe it sounds exotic  and immediately pictures of sun, ocean and palms come to mind.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2014, 06:45:31 AM »
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 07:55:05 AM by fruitlovers »
Oscar

jcaldeira

• Planet Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2014, 11:40:29 AM »

The Caldarium
Calidus Fruits

Yes, "Caldeira" is a french word originated in latin word "caldaria", it means something like cooking pot, but it looks like in France it is used more as geology-volcanology term:
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caldeira

but I have to agree with those, who intend to use the word "Fiji" in the name, for me as inhabitant of central Europe it sounds exotic  and immediately pictures of sun, ocean and palms come to mind.

Caldeira is a Portuguese name.

"Fiji" will definitely be on my product labels, but probably not the farm name and farm sign because it doesn't sound good locally.   I've decided against using "Volivoli" in the name since the word also means "shopping" (in addition to "trading"). 

For now I'm sticking with "Ra Fruit & Honey Farm" if I am allowed to register than name, and adding my own name to labels to emphasize pride in ownership.  For example,  my labels to  read "John's Ra Honey" as it does now, "John's Ra Guava Jam", etc.  Ra has a good reputation within Fiji for producing high quality honey and it is one of the more beautiful places in Fiji, so that image is ideal.   The name is descriptive without being too restrictive in scope.

Thanks, everyone, for the ideas.  There were some good ones.